Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've tried and liked the Lindy 90%, tried and didn't like the Green& Blacks 85%. Am I missing out at all - is there better low carb chocolate available?

I was just looking at the Hotel Chocolat website - just window shopping with a view to dropping a hint or five to Mr Chook for Valentine's Day (like you do) - but I can't believe such little bars of 100% can be worth that kind of money. Any one tried it? Was it amazing??

Reactions: DJC3

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lidl do a 70% Dark Chocolate with Caramel, it's absolutely delicious and is around 5g of carbs per square (but each square are quite big).

Reactions: 7 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Agreed, really is gorgeous.

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Valrhona is very smooth - I've tried the 70% Guanaja but there is a darker one Abinao 85% which I've not tried.

Reactions: 2 people

michael D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
aldis 85% small bars (i like that idea can help stop you being greedy :p )is good the idea is not to stick to the 1 brand try any one that you come across (diffrent tastes) at lest once would not go lower then 70%

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just looked at Hotel Chocolate website they have a low carb section (and low sugar and diabetic) no info on amount of carbs in each chocolate had to stop looking as I was salivating over my laptop

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1454183769.278029.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aldi do excellent chocolate 70% and higher and so do Lidl. As previously mentioned the Aldi ones come in 5 little bars.Great for portion control.Branded as Moser Roth the 85% one is err.......hold on just havin another bit......... Lovely! Nice with a glass of Shiraz, just for medicinal purposes you understand.
Really well priced too.I've said it plenty of times the german's just don't stand for any rubbish.

Reactions: 3 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook Santa brought me lots of Hotel Chocolat treats. The 100% was interesting, but I think it is an acquired taste. On the other hand, the ginger puddles are awesome!

http://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/sho...er/70-dark-with-ginger-puddles#products-large

Oohh! I love ginger. I'm going to send that link to OH.

When you say the HC 100% was interesting - was it too bitter?

Hmmmm both M&S and Aldi are just over 20 miles round trip but in totally different directions. It feels a bit bizarre to be planning my day around buying chocolate but I do need to get other food too. Decisions, decisions.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I went into M&S to get their dark chocolate on Friday, and it was sold out. Obviously popular. I will try again during the week.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Oohh! I love ginger. I'm going to send that link to OH.

When you say the HC 100% was interesting - was it too bitter?

Hmmmm both M&S and Aldi are just over 20 miles round trip but in totally different directions. It feels a bit bizarre to be planning my day around buying chocolate but I do need to get other food too. Decisions, decisions.
I found the 100% bitter. It was kind of dry in texture as opposed to fatty. Not describing it well, sorry. You might love it.

I find any old high % dark chocolate greatly improves in taste if you turn it into bark. Melt choc then pour into a foil lined tray so it is wafer thin. Top with whatever you fancy - nuts, lime/orange zest, sea salt, chilli, coconut, seeds or even a little dried fruit if you can take it. Leave to cool in the fridge.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have just finished a little bar of the Aldi Moser Roth 75% and it's gorgeous. Thank you for the suggestion. Even OH enjoyed it and he hasn't particularly liked dark choc before.

Next week: Marks & Spencer. ;)