Just hate veg

PhillHill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
can i have a diabetic type 2 healthy diet minus vegetable as i hate them havent found one i could eat more than one piece of before spitting it out in disgust btw im 48 and have no appetite for anything except cereal and semi skimmed milk, bits of fruit and wholemeal bread only can i have a diet whereby whatever vegetables do for me can be replaced by vitamins persay

Reactions: 2 people

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
I couldn't say for definitely...but I'd hazard a guess of no. I reckon if it was just certain type of veg i.e. leafy green = iron then you could cope with just an iron supplement. But I don't know if you could put everything back in artificially so to speak. But hey, I'm not a nutritionist so I have no idea! Haha. Let us know if you find out! :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm not keen on veg but make an effort to try to include them more in meals now. I try to disguise the taste with butter or gravy.
The only veg I used to eat was sweetcorn, but now I keep bags of frozen broccoli, green beans, and cauliflower in the freezer, so I can put a handful in a steamer for a few minutes.
I still don't eat enough veg and I do take vitamin pills, but I know doctors and nutritionists will tell you that is a waste of time and money as they just pass straight through your body and don't really help.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Try stir-frying the vegetables rather than boil or steam them as it can make all the difference, just add some herbs and seasoning to mask the taste if preferred.

Reactions: 6 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Make veg soup.it doesn't taste of any one veg no veggy texture if you blitz it I add lots of garlic and chilli
CAROL

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I'm very anti most greens but it blends down nicely in a nutribullet I add in a bits of fruit and double cream and some nuts once it's blended i down it quickly as a smoothie, it beats trying too munch leaves hands down.

Reactions: 4 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think this is perfectly possible.Although I am not sure it's a good idea.I used to joke with people who mentioned the fact that they never really saw me eating vegetables that "I do eat veggies, I eat chips!" Lots has changed since then.
However now that I am successfully low carbing I eat lots of vegetables and especially salad.The whole low carb idea has worked well for me.But let's be honest a lot of things are off limits when watching carbs.By actively choosing to not have vegetables you are restricting your options quite a bit more.And vegetables are important sources of minerals and vitamins,which may be required as other foods are not appropriate any more.

Some ideas.

I have lots of veggies fried in butter, say asparagus,green beans,fennel.Spices are key here!!
How about tuna and veg bake with melted cheese on top.
There is a great recipe here for cabbage with cream.
Home made vinaigrette ( so easy honestly ) or good Mayo and salad cream (LOTS) over a mixed salad is epic.

There are many great recipes on this forum,and the thread on "what have you eaten today" always makes me smile at how inventive people are usually followed by mmmm.........I must try that!

Why not try vegetables you have never eaten. You may surprise yourself I did and can't imagine going without raw mushrooms for long.
Sorry this is not supposed to be a lecture.Hope it does not come across as such.Trying to be constructive.

Cheers

Reactions: 11 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't eat anything from the plant kingdom. Just animals.

Glitterbug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm very anti most greens but it blends down nicely in a nutribullet I add in a bits of fruit and double cream and some nuts once it's blended i down it quickly as a smoothie, it beats trying too munch leaves hands down.
Hi I don't like greens so got a nutrabullit now I'm juicing all greens but unfortunately I have to much potassium getting blood test Monday so hoping it's not that

michael D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hide the vegs in stew and things and you might get used to the idea of having them

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't hate veg I just find them a bore and calories I'd rather have on protein yummies.
I have to deliberately make veggie foods.
Proteins are much more exciting. lol

JayClubRocker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate veg too. My nurse told me to get some multi vitamins. She also said its okay to add flavour to veg occasionally, because i told her i like it if its covered in something nice haha or fried in olive oil.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you heard of rabbit starvation... The problem is not limited to rabbits, of course. Any diet high in protein, low in fat and devoid of carbohydrates, will result in not enough energy for your body to function properly in the long term.
So as long as you eat lots of fat with your meat you may be ok ... But as a vegetarian, I can say veg are lovely .... Is the the tast or texture you don't like ... ? How have you got this far without eating vegetables?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
can i have a diabetic type 2 healthy diet minus vegetable as i hate them havent found one i could eat more than one piece of before spitting it out in disgust btw im 48 and have no appetite for anything except cereal and semi skimmed milk, bits of fruit and wholemeal bread only can i have a diet whereby whatever vegetables do for me can be replaced by vitamins persay

Hi have you tried raw vegetables, crudites, I love them and eat some everyday, could you try a dip to go with the veg, something not to strong or 'heavy' in taste.
greek-appetizer-dip.jpg

Just a small selection with Greek sour cream dip, but you could try other vegetables.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think like you're feeding a child and hide it! Liquidize veggies down and then add them as a sauce or soup, then season with pepper, herbs, garlic etc. I find putting cheese on veggies helps too as they can be so boring. Do you dislike salad too? Raw veggies, ie. peppers can be tastier and you can eat raw spinach leaves like lettuce to give you iron.

Unfortunately, science has proved that vitamin tablets don't do a great deal as your body will only consume what you need and then pass the rest. Also if you have too many of certain vitamins it can be harmful so the dosage you get is pretty low.

But you say you like fruit so you will get some vitamins and minerals through your fruit, just try to stick to the lower carb varieties like strawberries, raspberries, apricots, cherries, melon (although I would advise testing to make sure they don't spike you).

Good luck and let us know if you find anything you like!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Just looked at your "healthy diet" and if you are not a fan of carbohydrates then your diet is the opposite of healthy.
It certainly doesn't look at all healthy for the average T2.

Cereals, skimmed milk, bread (wholemeal doesn't make it diabetic healthy - only slightly less bad), fruit......all loaded with carbs and sugars.

You don't mention any protein - don't you like eggs, cheese, meat, fish?
You can survive without fresh vegetables - the Inuit for instance did this most of the time because you can't grow vegetables in snow and ice. They did eat a diet high in protein, fats and essential vitamins and minerals though.

If you are only eating what you list above then you are on a very restricted diet and you are likely to struggle to control your BG levels.

Is there nothing at all of plant origin that you can face?
This includes tinned and processed vegetables as well as raw vegetables, salads and the like.
Vegetable juice drinks do have their problems, but a nice Bloody Mary from time to time does get some fruit juice into you. :)

Oh, and a bit more information about yourself might help us - height, weight, length of time diagnosed, medication, current HbA1C, all the sort of things that paint a picture and help us understand where you are coming from.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Roasted balsamic cauliflower