So, travel.

Smile.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.

I travel to Australia in a week. I will be gone for about 5 months and the doctor's have given me enough medication to last me. However, Australia customs states that you can only take 3 months of insulin and supplies in - because insulin doses vary I can't be certain how much 3 months worth is. Does anyone know if they're strict about this when you're diabetic?

Anyone who has been to Australia - did you declare it on your customs form when entering? I know you're not meant to have food/snacks taken in but what about Glucogel of dextrose tablets?

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good question, I'm going to New Zealand on Thursday for 3 weeks then Australia, am watching answers with interest! Am sure we must be allowed bag of toffees or similar?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
However, Australia customs states that you can only take 3 months of insulin and supplies in

It is in conflict with Australian airport information and customs here aren't all that reliable with their online info. MEL airport maintains it's exempt, and though a little ambiguous, so does Perth. No way would I accept that so write to the airport authority NOW, make sure you bring your medical certificate and mark it "urgent" as you need that info like yesterday.

Betting your first OZ port is Sydney so phone them on (our Monday) and tell them you have that 5 months supply and see what they say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smile.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually fly to Melbourne. 5 months worth though could only last 3 months, though, depending on how much insulin I use a day. That's what I was saying about its difficult to say for certain how much I'm taking. It's not like prescribed antibiotics where 3 months' worth of maximum dosage is clear.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My daughter has different medical needs but when we went to Australia for 3 months we registered with a local GP surgery in Melbourne as a temporary patient for her supplies, which included syringes. It was a godsend as while there, she also needed an emergency admission to hospital and surgery and we were wonderfully well looked after. Would registering as a temporary patient be an option for you?

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Trouble with that is the OP is not on the Australian national diabetics register BUT it may be reciprocal with the UK

See this :)

https://www.ndss.com.au/registration

You are able to register if you:

• live in Australia or are visiting from a country with which Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement on an applicable visa
I hope you didn't leave this all to the last minute but that's all I can do for you .... the rest is all yours so good luck

Alberti

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes & Ex wife
How can they state its allowed to bring 3 months supply ?? They dont know the amount of daily units, you need ?? Weird

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Precisely why they're being taken to task over it to clarify exactly what customs can and cannot do. Trust me on this one ... if they tried that stunt here, then they'd be in serious trouble. You're playing with someone's health.

M

mrspuddleduck

Hi everyone.

I travel to Australia in a week. I will be gone for about 5 months and the doctor's have given me enough medication to last me. However, Australia customs states that you can only take 3 months of insulin and supplies in - because insulin doses vary I can't be certain how much 3 months worth is. Does anyone know if they're strict about this when you're diabetic?

Anyone who has been to Australia - did you declare it on your customs form when entering? I know you're not meant to have food/snacks taken in but what about Glucogel of dextrose tablets?

Australian customs say you can take 3 months supply 'at the maximum dose recommended by the manufacturer" so unless you are taking very large amounts I don't see why it would be a problem. This is worth reading -
https://www.tga.gov.au/entering-australia
Have a good trip!