Levemir split dose

Siesta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi ! I am a newbie to this site but have already founded it so helpful ! And comforting to know other people are going through similiar experiences ! I am thinking of taking my levemir basal insulin 12 hours apart as feel it starts to wear off ..? Any one doing similiar ? Running high most days and feel rubbish :(

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @Siesta
welcome to the forum.:)
levemir is an long acting insulin that does not really last for 24 hours and there are many taking this on a twice daily basis with good results.
am tagging @Dillinger as I believe he is a levemir user with knowledge on split dosing

all the best !!

Reactions: 4 people

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I have spilt my dose in half. I take them at 9am and 9pm. It seems to last better than the old single shot.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ! I am a newbie to this site but have already founded it so helpful ! And comforting to know other people are going through similiar experiences ! I am thinking of taking my levemir basal insulin 12 hours apart as feel it starts to wear off ..? Any one doing similiar ? Running high most days and feel rubbish :(
Hi i take levimer 2x a day as well one in morn then other before my bed then novo rapid 4x morn lunch dinner bed x

Siesta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are u only on levimer x
Hi , thankyou , yes like you my basal is levemir and take nova with food .. I know my doses are wrong as running in double figures most days ! I am trying to increase levemir slowly but do have fear of hypos so I tend to
Be cautious ...

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
morning :)
don't want to pile on too much at you but it would be a good idea to have a look at basal testing
here is a link http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

this will help you to have more confidence in adjusting your own doses as you will be approaching it from a proven method.
you should let your DSN know as well.

Have you done a DAFNE carb counting course or something similar ?

if not it would be worth having a chat with your DSN to see about arranging one ?
if not here is a link to an online course you could possibly have a look at http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

all the best !

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi , thankyou , yes like you my basal is levemir and take nova with food .. I know my doses are wrong as running in double figures most days ! I am trying to increase levemir slowly but do have fear of hypos so I tend to
Be cautious ...

As @himtoo says, do some basal testing to get your basal dose right first. The basal is the foundation you build on, so if that's wrong it makes it hard to get everything else right.

Do you count carbs? Have you been given an insulin to carb ratio by your DSN? Once you get your basal right, that might need attention too, but basal is the place to start.

iHs

I started using Levemir in 2007 and immediately noticed the difference in bg levels using it once daily then injecting it twice daily. On once daily, I needed a lot more bolus to eat food but on twice daily, I needed a bit less bolus. I didnt fast in order to get the balance correct, I just tested bg levels every 2hrs and adjusted the balance between the bbasal and bolus that way.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Many do split their Levemir as it only lasts around 18 hours depending on the dose level. I don't split mine but take account of it fading in the evening and increase the NovoRapid ratio a bit in the evening.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on split levemir since they took me off lantus and I cant rate it highly enough.
It allows you to really tailor the morning and evening doses to work with what you are going to be doing.
Have a busy active day ahead, back it of a touch.

Splitting the dose might take you a little while to get dialled in but once you have it right it works so much better than a single dose.

Also as has been said it doesn't last a full 24 hours, for me Lantus only lasted 16 to 18 and that is supposed to last 24.

Best of luck making the change but do make sure you keep your Dr / DSN informed of what you are doing and why.

/A

Siesta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
morning :)
don't want to pile on too much at you but it would be a good idea to have a look at basal testing
here is a link http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

this will help you to have more confidence in adjusting your own doses as you will be approaching it from a proven method.
you should let your DSN know as well.

Have you done a DAFNE carb counting course or something similar ?

if not it would be worth having a chat with your DSN to see about arranging one ?
if not here is a link to an online course you could possibly have a look at http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

all the best !

Siesta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi , All input very welcome thanks , I found link very helpful and when I get a calm day am going to try ! I think that's where I go wrong ! Unfortunately Dafne not av down here but am going on carb counting to see if helps .. Really want to crack this as I am just chasing my sugars at the mo ! Thanks for help

Siesta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As @himtoo says, do some basal testing to get your basal dose right first. The basal is the foundation you build on, so if that's wrong it makes it hard to get everything else right.

Do you count carbs? Have you been given an insulin to carb ratio by your DSN? Once you get your basal right, that might need attention too, but basal is the place to start.

Siesta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks .. I agree basal seems way to go .. I find carb counting hard as I tend to graze with food ..

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks .. I agree basal seems way to go .. I find carb counting hard as I tend to graze with food ..
Sadly, it's kind of part and parcel of being type 1. If you don't keep tabs on what you eat, getting glucose levels right is nigh on impossible. Worth giving it a go, even with grazing.