Looking for Type1s in Scotland.

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jings, crivvens, help ma boab! Smokies are smoked haddock (nae carbs) and bridies are minced steak and onion in shortcrust pastry, both very, very tasty. Had tae gie the bridies a bodyswerve as I failed miserably trying to time the insulin, think it must be the suet and lard in the pastry, but now I've got the Freestyle Libre I might gie it another go! You should definitely put them on your must try list!

Reactions: 2 people

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We might get a Scotland do out of this thread tae rival the London one.....or maybe no....

Reactions: 4 people

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jings, crivvens, help ma boab! Smokies are smoked haddock (nae carbs) and bridies are minced steak and onion in shortcrust pastry, both very, very tasty. Had tae gie the bridies a bodyswerve as I failed miserably trying to time the insulin, think it must be the suet and lard in the pastry, but now I've got the Freestyle Libre I might gie it another go! You should definitely put them on your must try list!
Oh I know now haha.. Haddock is good but bridies are a no go yuk yuk.. Is that new insulin?

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I know now haha.. Haddock is good but bridies are a no go yuk yuk.. Is that new insulin?
No, it's a new kind of glucose monitor that measures your levels every 15 mins, you wear a sensor on your arm and then just scan with a reader and it gives you a pretty good idea of your sugar levels, but you can tell where your level's going without having tae prick. There are a few threads on here about it and here's a link that tells you about it. You have tae buy it yersel though..
http://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, it's a new kind of glucose monitor that measures your levels every 15 mins, you wear a sensor on your arm and then just scan with a reader and it gives you a pretty good idea of your sugar levels, but you can tell where your level's going without having tae prick. There are a few threads on here about it and here's a link that tells you about it. You have tae buy it yersel though..
http://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/
That sounds good! So is it needless? X

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds good! So is it needless? X
Kinda, the sensor has a needle on it to insert it on your arm, which you should only need to change every 2 weeks, but didnae feel it when I put mine on. After that you just scan the reader close to it and it reads it. You still have tae prick now and then tae double check it and tae drive.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kinda, the sensor has a needle on it to insert it on your arm, which you should only need to change every 2 weeks, but didnae feel it when I put mine on. After that you just scan the reader close to it and it reads it. You still have tae prick now and then tae double check it and tae drive.
That sounds good! How big is the needle? I hate needles even tho I am diabetic haha! They freak me out I remember when I was first diagnosed at eight I was running away from my m screaming cos she had to start to inject me so I could get out of hospital lol!

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eight? Jeez, must have been hard for your mum! I was lucky and didnae get it til later on in life, The needles no that big and apparently it just makes room for a thin filament tae go under the skin and then retracts. I don't even notice that the sensor's there. The information you get fae it is brilliant.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eight? Jeez, must have been hard for your mum! I was lucky and didnae get it til later on in life, The needles no that big and apparently it just makes room for a thin filament tae go under the skin and then retracts. I don't even notice that the sensor's there. The information you get fae it is brilliant.
Aye a was a wee ******* as well used to refuse to do my insulin and stuff feel so guilty now for it tho. It sounds so good I hardly check my sugar levels to be honest. I was looking at the one you can test from your mobile as you carry your mobile around all the time this sounds alot better tho what's the price range I. May invest in it

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aye a was a wee ******* as well used to refuse to do my insulin and stuff feel so guilty now for it tho. It sounds so good I hardly check my sugar levels to be honest. I was looking at the one you can test from your mobile as you carry your mobile around all the time this sounds alot better tho what's the price range I. May invest in it
I tried tae PM you tae free up the thread but it widnae let me, I really feel sorry for your Mum now! It's £138.23 for a starter pack which should last 4 weeks, then around £50 for each sensor after that, so about £100 a month, Expensive like but the info it's given me so far has been well worth it.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried tae PM you tae free up the thread but it widnae let me, I really feel sorry for your Mum now! It's £138.23 for a starter pack which should last 4 weeks, then around £50 for each sensor after that, so about £100 a month, Expensive like but the info it's given me so far has been well worth it.
How would it not let you? That's alot of money when I clicked on the link you sent it said £57 that's really expensive think I will just keep pricking lol be good if they done it on NHS or even money off

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You get it VAT free, so it's a wee bit cheaper , but no a lot, £48 instead of £57.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You get it VAT free, so it's a wee bit cheaper , but no a lot, £48 instead of £57.
U may Try it out. I Googled the needle it looks sore lol how does it stay in

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
U may Try it out. I Googled the needle it looks sore lol how does it stay in
Nah won't let me PM, no idea why, it's adhesive and sticks to your skin, try to PM me if you want tae know any more......

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nah won't let me PM, no idea why, it's adhesive and sticks to your skin, try to PM me if you want tae know any more......
Sorry just home from work it won't let me either just says sending and then nothing else

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey folks, another Type 1 here from Glasgow. 50 years on insulin so a bit of an oldie now. From what it was like in 1965 to now is amazing - can't keep up sometimes with all the technological stuff the docs use and me too. Got a new meter at teh clinic last week and told to upload results from it to a programme I've to download to my computer, and print off the report for my next visit. Aye, right. I'll need a month to get my head around that! Bill

Reactions: 5 people