Rogue FBS reading

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I went to bed with a BS reading of 5.4. Got up a bit late this morning, looked out the window and saw I was about to get a parking ticket for having back wheels on the yellow lines .. grr! Slung a coat over my PJs and still in slippers (raining out) I flew out just in the nick of time and went on the great parking space hunt. Ended up round the corner and trudged home in the rain, glad I never met anyone :)

Then to get back to "normal" routine I did my morning reading and nearly had a heart attack! 19.9 OMG I was shaking. What had I done wrong. Did I have a midnight feast without waking up? Could stress do that? Anyway, O/H said "try on mine" so I did and it was 8.5 .. phew! Not great but better. So I had another go on mine and it was 7.5.

So I think I must have had a dodgy test strip or my machine had a wobbly? Do you think I'm right. Is it possible that a bit of stress could put figure up that much and then drop so quickly?

Reactions: 2 people

bigjohn9916

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who use abbreviations without explanation.
text speak.
I would say you had dodgy strip or more likely something on your finger. Your reading of 7.5 is similar to what mine used to get up to if I did anything before my morning test, and would be about right for your liver giving you some extra energy for your unexpected walk and then you not doing enough to burn it off.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yep, rogue reading!
You were aware that you had to double check.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Whenever I get an implausible reading, I wash my hands and do another test in a different finger. If they're similar, I know it was right and take the average of the two numbers. But often an implausible reading is something erroneous and the second test confirms that.

If you hadn't eaten and then dashed about, your BG would rise in response to the activity with no food, so a modest rise can be explained. I'm almost always higher before my breakfast than when I first get out of bed; by the time I've checked emails, showered, made the bed etc.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say you had dodgy strip or more likely something on your finger. Your reading of 7.5 is similar to what mine used to get up to if I did anything before my morning test, and would be about right for your liver giving you some extra energy for your unexpected walk and then you not doing enough to burn it off.

Thanks x Mine is usually between 6 and 7 anyway. Been low carbing for nearly 8 months now but still only averaging between those two figures, a few 5s and 8s occasionally. I suppose it's not too bad as I'm not on meds.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, rogue reading!
You were aware that you had to double check.

Yes, I panicked ... lol.
Whenever I get an implausible reading, I wash my hands and do another test in a different finger. If they're similar, I know it was right and take the average of the two numbers. But often an implausible reading is something erroneous and the second test confirms that.

If you hadn't eaten and then dashed about, your BG would rise in response to the activity with no food, so a modest rise can be explained. I'm almost always higher before my breakfast than when I first get out of bed; by the time I've checked emails, showered, made the bed etc.

Oh, I thought activity on an empty stomach would send it down. I still have a lot to learn x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dep
Yes, I panicked ... lol.

Oh, I thought activity on an empty stomach would send it down. I still have a lot to learn x

Depends on how strenuous the activity and the hormonal response to your activity and of course the person.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It would eventually, but if you haven't eaten for a while, then start being active, your body assumes you need energy and sticks some glucose out from liver reserves. This works for an hour or two of normal activity, but the limit would depend on the individual, as nosher said. I've never tested to see how far I could go without eating, but the odd time I've had to fast for medical procedures, it'd kept going up for quite a while - no doubt the stress added to it too, for the same reason.

My Mum, also a T2 (on meds, I'm on insulin) was recently very poorly and didn't eat for 3 days and was still around 12 when she started eating again.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would eventually, but if you haven't eaten for a while, then start being active, your body assumes you need energy and sticks some glucose out from liver reserves. This works for an hour or two of normal activity, but the limit would depend on the individual, as nosher said. I've never tested to see how far I could go without eating, but the odd time I've had to fast for medical procedures, it'd kept going up for quite a while - no doubt the stress added to it too, for the same reason.

My Mum, also a T2 (on meds, I'm on insulin) was recently very poorly and didn't eat for 3 days and was still around 12 when she started eating again.

This diabetes lark is certainly hard to fathom. It's so individual that we all just have to figure out what our own BS does and act accordingly I guess.

julieemma

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Any advice plz been on sitaglaptin 2 weeks got giddiness headache the 3 days ago my knee joints get so much pain can't walk pain meds not touching it how long does anyone now for side effects to wear off can't stick it much longer taking 100mg

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Any advice plz been on sitaglaptin 2 weeks got giddiness headache the 3 days ago my knee joints get so much pain can't walk pain meds not touching it how long does anyone now for side effects to wear off can't stick it much longer taking 100mg

Hi, I'm on sitagliptin and don't have side effects from them.
There are some people susceptible to these symptoms you have described, I wouldn't take any more until you have spoken to your GP!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Still speak to your GP, but it could be either, the side effects you described could be from either of them or a combination of both.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This diabetes lark is certainly hard to fathom. It's so individual that we all just have to figure out what our own BS does and act accordingly I guess.
If we all learn a lesson every day, that's your biggie for today. It's very individual and whilst you will no doubt get a lot of advice, information and assistance, it is very personal and you're the very best person to find out what works for you - what doesn't - and to set up a regime that works for you and that you can sustain long-term.

The second big lesson that I've learnt several times over the years (T2 for 24 years-ish) and am currently in another big learning module with - is that it can change over time - what once works, suddenly doesn't any more (seemingly without reason) and it's back to the drawing board. I've been through several phases with it and had to re-learn everything and figure out what now works. That for me is the most difficult aspect - what worked brilliantly in December has now gone totally to sh . . .

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If we all learn a lesson every day, that's your biggie for today. It's very individual and whilst you will no doubt get a lot of advice, information and assistance, it is very personal and you're the very best person to find out what works for you - what doesn't - and to set up a regime that works for you and that you can sustain long-term.

The second big lesson that I've learnt several times over the years (T2 for 24 years-ish) and am currently in another big learning module with - is that it can change over time - what once works, suddenly doesn't any more (seemingly without reason) and it's back to the drawing board. I've been through several phases with it and had to re-learn everything and figure out what now works. That for me is the most difficult aspect - what worked brilliantly in December has now gone totally to sh . . .

Yes, I know what you mean. I know things change and that you never stop learning or being surprised and I'm just a novice at it and I will just go on learning and doing the best I can.

Thanks for your input and I hope you manage to get back on track too xx

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies @copey399 I must have mis-read your sig and thought you'd only been diagnosed this December, but clearly you've been doing it for a while now and no doubt have a handle on it.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Reactions: 3 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I went to bed with a BS reading of 5.4. Got up a bit late this morning, looked out the window and saw I was about to get a parking ticket for having back wheels on the yellow lines .. grr! Slung a coat over my PJs and still in slippers (raining out) I flew out just in the nick of time and went on the great parking space hunt. Ended up round the corner and trudged home in the rain, glad I never met anyone :)

Then to get back to "normal" routine I did my morning reading and nearly had a heart attack! 19.9 OMG I was shaking. What had I done wrong. Did I have a midnight feast without waking up? Could stress do that? Anyway, O/H said "try on mine" so I did and it was 8.5 .. phew! Not great but better. So I had another go on mine and it was 7.5.

So I think I must have had a dodgy test strip or my machine had a wobbly? Do you think I'm right. Is it possible that a bit of stress could put figure up that much and then drop so quickly?
Eeek panic! Definitely sounds like a dodgy test strip though! :)