Lancet Less!!

grum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Noise, Clutter, Shopping, Gardening.
After being welcomed into this forum of interesting and knowledgeable people on diabetes (as I'm a novice)some were concerned that I do not test, well to cut a long story short, I felt I should and would start getting my act together and bought a testing unit from a well known chemist it has starting materials like test strips and lancets. Set it up then found no lancets, followed by enthusiam slump. Went to shop explained situation, they transferred a pack from another unit (you get 10 of each items).
I enquired to cost for further strips and lancets, as this appears to be reasonable for the lancets (not so for the strips) I decided to get more there and then. You have a choice of 4 different lancets (none of which did they have in stock) so they ordered them, they weren't in on tuesday (though I was told they did have them in stock where ordered from) and still haven't heard if they have arrived today. As there is no point in my starting to use the unit until I have more lancets temper, enthusiam, anything else one can list, is rising and falling (just like the sugar levels)!!!! Tomorrow won't come too soon, I feel this is an absolutely rediculous situation as testing may have been very important to me already, plus I paid in advance. Fantastic service.

PS Not told or asked to test by Dr, this is my choice. Therefore not requested on prescription, I guess this problem would not occur then.
Just had to whinge about it,sorry folks. G

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As someone who uses the lancets regularly I would use them more than once.

I use an Accu-Chek Multiclix lancet which has a drum of 6 lancets. These last me at least a week,before I insert another drum. I test approx 6 - 8 times daily. No problems, just make sure the area to be pricked is clean and dry. The lancets only go into your skin a tiny amount so it is not like injecting where you need to change needles after each use. (Well I do - although people do re-use them)

Spiral

Explore eBay. My last lot of strips worked out at about a tenner a drum :shock: :shock: :shock:

Check the sellers reputation, and the expiry date on the box. If you are happy with that, set yourself a strict price limit and make a bid. I won't pay more than half the retail price, and don't forget to include postage in your caluclations. I have had a lot of success on eBay :mrgreen:

Also, if you buy anything in the shops be sure to ask for the VAT expemtion. Anything we buy to manage our long term condition is VAT exempt - there is a form you fill in at the shop. You may need to persist with this :? :roll: not all the assistants are aware of it.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I use lancets anumber of times each.
Strips I buy direct from Abbott Diabetes Care, who supplied my meter and give exemplary service.
Hana

grum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Noise, Clutter, Shopping, Gardening.
Hi Cugila, Spiral, Hanadr

Went to Chemist this morning ready to do battle, after quite a wait, success, lancets had come in had been put with medications for prescription prep.
Many thanks for your suggestions on this matter and information re the vat (interesting)did not know about this, not widely known I guess.
Has anyone ever suggested to you that you shouldn't test, that it's proably not necessary if it hasn't been suggested by Dr. (this was from a non diabetic). G

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Has anyone ever suggested to you that you shouldn't test, that it's proably not necessary if it hasn't been suggested by Dr. (this was from a non diabetic).

Oh, Yes....... :twisted: After they had straightened their hair and picked themselves up I politely told the person just why I NEED to test. I need to know what is going on in my body when I eat certain foods, not in a week or months time, but there and then. Whoever told you that want's to mind their own business ! :wink:

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
If I doctor ever told ME not to test I think I'd....bite them!

(How many carbs in a mouthful of human flesh? 8) )

Spiral

My GP told me that as a T2 I didn't need to test. After some discussion, ongoing, I now get one box a month :shock: :roll: I use waaaaay more than one box a month as I test between 5-8 times a day on most days. How a diabetic can bring their condition under control without the means to see how they are doing is beyond me, especialy as they tell us to eat lots of starchy carbohydrate :shock:

Any, yes, I also use my lancets several times. A multiclix drum lasts me at least a week.

Edwardia

:shock: I am really shocked that people with long-term experience of diabetes are telling a newbie that it is OK to re-use lancets !

Do you not realise that dried blood residue on the lancets is contaminating your test ?
Or that the dried blood residue is not sterile and you are introducing it into your bloodstream ?
Or that every time you re-use that lancet it gets blunter (and therefore eventually more painful)

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Edwardia
I've been re-using lancets for years.I have NEVER had an infection and my readings tally with everything else, such as my twice yearly HbA1c. I also don't swab skin first.
If you stab with the lancet and a drop of blood comes out, it washes itself clean. A wound that is bleeding freely, isn't likely to become infected. I do use my stabber set to 2(of 4) so don't drive anything in deep.
T1 husband also only changes the lancet when it seems blunt. He's been testing since meters became available. He too has never had an infection and the tests mqake sense.
Hana