Joining this exclusive club

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
I've dawdled about posting here, but been an avid reader since being diagnosed Type 2 late December 2015 after 2 blood tests, results 48 & 49.

In my 60's, I'm under-height for my weight, with quite a few other health problems so I really didn't want this one as well. I haven't been put on medication to treat it but going down the diet route.

I've read about the LCHF diet and decided to try this out and am having a bit of success in losing some weight, 9lb since 5th Jan. I bought the Code-Free tester but it is still in the box at the moment, as I'm too much of a coward to use it.

It's a scary place to be at the start of this journey, but the one thing I am sure of is the advice, comfort and support you all give to each other. For that I thank you and hope that I can give a little bit back in time.

Reactions: 17 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Being afraid of using the meter is understandable, but honestly, there is no need. Take a deep breath and start using it. The sooner you do the sooner you can get to grips with a good and sustainable eating plan.

It looks like you know what you are doing so far. Well done on that weight loss, that's brilliant. How do you feel in yourself?

Your diagnostic results aren't at all drastic. You have been caught in time, so with a bit of luck and a good diet you should lose the excess weight and get back down to non-diabetic levels.

Reactions: 8 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum.As you say plenty of support and advice here.I would have struggled badly over the last six and a half months without it.
Your blood test results are not too bad, I am sure that a change in diet may help.But you will have to test with your meter.Try asking someone to help you for the first time.Most finger prickers are adjustable for the depth of the lancet, so start off on 0.5 on the scale!!

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Hi everyone,
I've dawdled about posting here, but been an avid reader since being diagnosed Type 2 late December 2015 after 2 blood tests, results 48 & 49.

In my 60's, I'm under-height for my weight, with quite a few other health problems so I really didn't want this one as well. I haven't been put on medication to treat it but going down the diet route.

I've read about the LCHF diet and decided to try this out and am having a bit of success in losing some weight, 9lb since 5th Jan. I bought the Code-Free tester but it is still in the box at the moment, as I'm too much of a coward to use it.

It's a scary place to be at the start of this journey, but the one thing I am sure of is the advice, comfort and support you all give to each other. For that I thank you and hope that I can give a little bit back in time.
Hi there and welcome to the forum. You will find lots of help, good advice and support here but I QUOTE you. 'It's a scary place to be at the start of this journey' It's not going to be scary anymore now you're here, nothing to be scared of including your meter, once you do the first jab it gets easier. Remember when you test to use the side of each finger (index not good) and not the soft pad as it would soon become sore. You have done well on your own so far to lose weight, you will find it easier now with support, a joke and a giggle. Your name is fabulous especially on here as we are all a little crazy and even crazier at times but we have fun while trying to be serious. Have a good look at the forums and ask any questions you have nice to have you on board

Reactions: 10 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello doolallylady:) - Welcome to the Forum. @daisy1 will provide you with some basic information for newly diagnosed. Have a read and ask any questions.

Reactions: 2 people

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hiya. Never hesitate to ask a question. Your test results aren't at all crazy high...and with the right approach, you'll get that down to the normal range. Keeping it there is tough as you need a sustainable diet - and while I was doing great, I am struggling a wee bit right now...bit I'll get it sorted. Allow yourself to slip up...it's all trial and error and progress and little steps..and the secret is a low carb diet you think you can actually stick to. Get your meter out and start jabbing! it's nothing really and it's the only way to see what's working for you. I would really recommend keeping a wee diary of what you eat, when you eat it and what the readings are before and 2.5 hours afterwards - really helped me. Good luck.

Reactions: 6 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@doolallylady

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope this will be useful to you, in addition to all the other answers you have received. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @doolallylady and welcome to the forum! Your HbA1c reading of 49 was the same as mine on diagnosis, and after finding this forum I used the LCHF approach and reduced my reading to 44 by the 3 month retest.

You are doing well with the weight loss, and I would think your BG is probably reducing too. I can understand your reluctance to start testing. I'm terrified of needles and resisted testing until after my 3 month retest. But then I realised I would not know how I was doing until my next HbA1c after 12 months unless I tested myself. It was a lot easier than I thought, I hardly feel it and it has been encouraging to see my readings go down. So just do it, it is a lot easier after the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for the lovely welcome, encouragement and advice, it really is appreciated. I look forward to getting to know you all and hope I make many new friends and become a good friend to others :).

Reactions: 4 people

zacthedog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injections,
i faint at giving blood tests, have had needle phobia since being a kid, it used to take 5 nurses to hold me down when i was a child.
I bought a tester on 31/12/15, diagnosed T2 on the 30/12/16, it took me around ten minutes to do my first test, i would start pushing the button of the lance and bottle it before the click! but after that i have been fine, even when it was cold and i had to prick myself about 7 times until the blood would come, funny storey, i managed to get a drop out, went to dab it on my tester and brushed a piece of kitchen roll and that took the blood straight off my finger! I did swear...
Get testing, in less than a week you will do it as second nature, i really look forward to seeing what my BG is, as a newbie and getting it down to 'normal' levels, small pleasure i know but at least i was seeing results of my diet.
Good luck.

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First the good news, I did it, once last night ( used the tester). Wasn't as daunting as I thought (after trying 4 different depths) 3.5 suits me. The reading was 8.1 but I'd had a cup of tea (shh don't tell anyone but it had a bit of sugar in it) about an hour before.
Now for the bad news, hands up, who didn't read the instructions properly? That would be me. I didn't realise that you had to change the needle after every use and didn't order more of them or the strips. So I won't start regularly testing until the new supplies arrive, will order later or tomorrow. Confession over.
Hope everyone is having a good day.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@doolallylady Well done for plucking up the courage and getting started with the testing. The instructions might say to change the lancet after every use, but I don't think many people actually do that. I have been using the same lancet for over four weeks now. I will probably change it if it starts to feel blunt.
Do other forum users change lancet every time they take a reading?

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Prem51 and @doolallylady - I have to ADMIT that I use a NEW Lancet every time, that's what I was told by my DSN, GP and Diabetes Consultant to do!!!! But, I know a lot of people on this forum use them several times. William:)

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
First the good news, I did it, once last night ( used the tester). Wasn't as daunting as I thought (after trying 4 different depths) 3.5 suits me. The reading was 8.1 but I'd had a cup of tea (shh don't tell anyone but it had a bit of sugar in it) about an hour before.
Now for the bad news, hands up, who didn't read the instructions properly? That would be me. I didn't realise that you had to change the needle after every use and didn't order more of them or the strips. So I won't start regularly testing until the new supplies arrive, will order later or tomorrow. Confession over.
Hope everyone is having a good day.
Welcome to the forum. Technically, you are supposed to use a new lancet each time. Personally, I don't. Here's a good web page that provides instruction on using your meter to lower your blood glucose levels:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php