Forum meet up in March

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Guys, been thinking about one of the discussions going on relating to the NDA and the lack of access to peer support.

I think we should make a coordinated effort to get offline T1Ds to meet others.

My suggestion is that we arrange a forum meet up at the end of March and we create flyers that each of us takes to our D clinics in London and asks the DSNs and staff to provide to T1s that attend the clinic, both long term and newly diagnosed.

It's a way to take action in the community and shouldn't be too far away from what we normally do.

Anyone agree with this idea/approach?

Reactions: 12 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that's a great idea...I know that when I was newly diagnosed I didn't know another living soul with T1...the info on this site has been invaluable to me...I still learn something new every day but from other people living with the condition rather than the nonsense churned out by the so called professionals.
I do wonder if end of March might be a little short notice in terms of getting the word out though...perhaps sometime in the summer? Venue wise it could potentially be a large number of people...maybe worth asking if diabetes.co.uk could contribute anything or be willing to organise on our behalf? Maybe a London park or something along those lines?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm thinking just start now. Two months for March is fine, and it doesn't matter if it isn't a lot of people. It's more important to start the process and make people aware that it's happening. If the number grow then by all means arrange a big summer event. I think it's more important to get the small informal stuff going first to give people confidence.

Reactions: 2 people

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good idea, I enjoyed the meet up organised by ewelina last Saturday.

I liked the informal get together 'down the pub' format.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Like the idea but we would need to know how many are going to attend to make sure we get a big enough venue, Saturdays turn out was great but it was getting a bit tight for room in the pub!! If we open it to outside the forum we would need a way of knowing approx. numbers

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You ask people to text an organiser if they plan to attend. Most are comfortable with that.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BBQ someplace come summer? Just a wild thought :)

poacher_joe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like the idea! I have been T1 since June 2015 yet to meet another T1!!

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Until last sat I was the same diagnosed since Nov 2014 ..soon corrected that met 16 in one afternoon!

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nda? Perhaps it is work but i cant figure it out ... New drug application, non disclosure agreement, from a quick search. I would like to get together again, but for me a pub or informal setting may be more relaxing than a larger venue (or perhaps park/beach on a sunny day!)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you planning on something more structured and educational than meetups we have been doing so far? Our next one is scheduled for Saturday, 19th of March so maybe it would be a good idea to keep them a bit apart. That would give people even more opportunities to meet up offline

Reactions: 3 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Are you planning on something more structured and educational than meetups we have been doing so far? Our next one is scheduled for Saturday, 19th of March so maybe it would be a good idea to keep them a bit apart. That would give people even more opportunities to meet up offline
I think Ewelina pub meet ups are great, nice to catch up with others and a nice sized group

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Is 19th March a definate date Ewelina, if so I will book it off from work

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep - if they could be co-ordinated a month apart that would be cool :)

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Yes and I promise no changes this time :)
That's great, will book the day off in the morning:) looking forward to it already. What time did you leave the pub on Saturday??