Work don't understand

Kesh92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. So I've recently started a new job and I've reviewed endless comments from colleagues about my diabetes, the latest 2 being 'you eat bags of sweets for dinner' and 'why are you eating a McDonald's?'. The next person to say something is going to get their head bitten off and I just can't get through to them. I have no issues with people asking questions but getting fed up of their judgement. How can I make them understand? I've been a type 1 for 19 years x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Hun, that's is really frustrating also not helpful at all, particularly when you want to get on with your job and work. Can you speak to a manager about the comments you are getting, or just speak to each individual direct to give them more information about your condition ? It's times like these when an NHS handout on 'what employers need to know about your type 1 status' would be incredibly helpful.

Me personally, I tend to vent to mates and ignore silly ignorant comments and just on with my job, but if it getting to you then you need to take action ;)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Maybe they're commenting about the fact that you don't look after your teeth and you eat the worst fast food that money can buy.

It might not have anything to do with diabetes.;)

Go easy on them - they cannot help their ignorance, poor things are inundated with ridiculous media content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Next time tell them that you are happy to educate them about the condition but would appreciate it if they didn't pass judgement on you when they obviously don't understand what T1 is. That will normally stop people as it is in fact a very polite slap down which tells people they are stupid without being rude as well as offering an olive branch in trying to fix their ignorance of T1

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Well eating bags of sweets for dinner isn't good for anyone ley alone someone with diabetes, so can understand the concern in that dept if that's what you do. McDonalds perhaps question your taste buds! :p:D

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You will always have people who don't understand. I just get on with things and ignore them, it's not my job to educate people apart from warn them I'll be injecting in front of them.

Kesh92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe their commenting about the fact that you don't look after your teeth and you eat the worst fast food that money can buy.

It might not have anything to do with diabetes.;)

Go easy on them - they cannot help their ignorance, poor things are inundated with ridiculous media content.
I don't eat sweets....they just assume. And I think 1 McDonald's is okay to eat....

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi. So I've recently started a new job and I've reviewed endless comments from colleagues about my diabetes, the latest 2 being 'you eat bags of sweets for dinner' and 'why are you eating a McDonald's?'. The next person to say something is going to get their head bitten off and I just can't get through to them. I have no issues with people asking questions but getting fed up of their judgement. How can I make them understand? I've been a type 1 for 19 years x

You could reply with, 'I don't comment on your eating habits ( if that's the case) I have type 1 diabetes and inject the correct amount of Insulin for the food I eat'
But maybe, just maybe, your colleages may be a little concerned about your health because of your 'diet' and are a bit startled by your choices. But at the end of the day, it is your choice after all.

ps would they comment on the same food choice's to someone who was obese ??:wideyed: :eek:

Kesh92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well eating bags of sweets for dinner isn't good for anyone ley alone someone with diabetes, so can understand the concern in that dept if that's what you do. McDonalds perhaps question your taste buds! :p:D
I didn't eat any sweets they just assume that's what I eat!

Kesh92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could reply with, 'I don't comment on your eating habits ( if that's the case) I have type 1 diabetes and inject the correct amount of Insulin for the food I eat'
But maybe, just maybe, your colleages may be a little concerned about your health because of your 'diet' and are a bit startled by your choices. But at the end of the day, it is your choice after all.

ps would they comment on the same food choice's to someone who was obese ??:wideyed: :eek:
Yeah exactly they wouldn't say it to anyone else and I'm just at my wits end and I don't wanna have to kick off but they shouldn't comment on what they don't understand

Kesh92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Next time tell them that you are happy to educate them about the condition but would appreciate it if they didn't pass judgement on you when they obviously don't understand what T1 is. That will normally stop people as it is in fact a very polite slap down which tells people they are stupid without being rude as well as offering an olive branch in trying to fix their ignorance of T1
Yeah that's a nice way of putting it. I'm trying not to snap at them cos I know they don't understand but I don't get why they comment if they don't understand.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Kesh92, report their harassment and bullying, just speak with a Senior Manager or HR if they don't change their ways soon.

Kesh92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Hun, that's is really frustrating also not helpful at all, particularly when you want to get on with your job and work. Can you speak to a manager about the comments you are getting, or just speak to each individual direct to give them more information about your condition ? It's times like these when an NHS handout on 'what employers need to know about your type 1 status' would be incredibly helpful.

Me personally, I tend to vent to mates and ignore silly ignorant comments and just on with my job, but if it getting to you then you need to take action ;)
It didn't to start with I just took it on the chin but its just frustrating that there's so little awareness and they think it's okay to comment.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It can be quite difficult to deal with in a work situation...especially as you've just started a new job...I would imagine you don't want to be rude to people...you just want the stupidity to stop. Perhaps when they say these things...use it as a chance to educate them...explain a bit more about how it works. Unfortunately most people's education on Diabetes comes from the media...and as we all know...they are way off the mark for the vast majority of the time...it could be that you're the first real diabetic they've ever met...we type 1's are very few and far between...so a good opportunity to educate them a little...it could spare the feelings of another diabetic somewhere on down the line.

I had a situation at work just last week...a new guy who'd only just started...asked about my diabetes...so was explaining a little about it...only very basic stuff...nothing too complex...when he then came out with 'so how did you get it...did you eat too much sugar?' I was a bit gobsmacked to be honest...this is the first time I've come up against such a question...but quietly counted to 10 in my head before responding and explaining that it was an autoimmune disease...and nothing to do with eating too much sugar...I then asked him...to please not repeat that to another diabetic...warning that not everyone would take it so well

Reactions: 9 people

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It can be quite difficult to deal with in a work situation...especially as you've just started a new job...I would imagine you don't want to be rude to people...you just want the stupidity to stop. Perhaps when they say these things...use it as a chance to educate them...explain a bit more about how it works. Unfortunately most people's education on Diabetes comes from the media...and as we all know...they are way off the mark for the vast majority of the time...it could be that you're the first real diabetic they've ever met...we type 1's are very few and far between...so a good opportunity to educate them a little...it could spare the feelings of another diabetic somewhere on down the line.

I had a situation at work just last week...a new guy who'd only just started...asked about my diabetes...so was explaining a little about it...only very basic stuff...nothing too complex...when he then came out with 'so how did you get it...did you eat too much sugar?' I was a bit gobsmacked to be honest...this is the first time I've come up against such a question...but quietly counted to 10 in my head before responding and explaining that it was an autoimmune disease...and nothing to do with eating too much sugar...I then asked him...to please not repeat that to another diabetic...warning that not everyone would take it so well

That's very common. I was diagnosed as a young boy when knowledge around diabetes was even worse than it is now, it was referred to even by my GP as "sugar diabetes" and everyone thought I'd "caught" it from eating too many sweets.

I don't get bent out of shape about it. If people want to learn I'll teach them - but I have enough to deal with myself!

Reactions: 4 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Next time just tell them it is nothing to do with what you eat and emphasise that sometimes you need carbs. I found comments stopped once I sent a 'first aid for me' email to selected people that highlighted what to do for me if I went hypo with links to type 1 info...

Reactions: 6 people

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't eat sweets....they just assume. And I think 1 McDonald's is okay to eat....
Aye, nothing wrong with a McDonalds now and again, carb counts usually spot on.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

So why would anyone 'assume' that you eat sweeets???? Are you sure this is not just friendly workplace banter?

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I agree they should not make comments. They don't no how lucky they are not to have the condition. I wish I could be cured but have had to live with it for the last 50yrs