Forum update: issues, bugs, comments and praise

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not getting any notifications on my watched threads. When I click on my name top right it says I have no new alerts, but I know people have posted on them e.g. Alisons have a smile on me thread. Help please ty xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Giverny

My alerts are also random. I am getting some but not all. For example, I'm not getting them for this thread, which I have previously posted on. I have no idea how many other threads I'm also missing.

Windows PC. Chrome.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Sorry for the super late reply here, everyone - wanted to take some time and address each concern properly!

Thanks for that Giverny.

Is there a bit of a summary of the things updated (aside from the obvious look and feel), and any known issues, so that we're not inundating you?

The quick navigation button looks useful, so why not tell people about it?

There's little point hiding your light under a bushel - even if some of the changes came with the new platform? ;)
Many of the updates this time round have been 'under the hood', so aren't relevant or noticeable by the end user.

Post ratings - you can now rate posts with more than just the like button. I'm sure this is the most glaringly obvious update, and if anyone has any suggestions for additions please feel free to post them here! Currently, we have the following reactions: like, agree, funny, winner, informative, friendly, useful, optimistic, creative.

App updates - those that use the app from the App Store or Google Play should download updates available on iOS and Android. There's been a few changes to the interface just to keep it all modern and clean.

Forum style - Quite a few things have changed here.

The font size is notably larger - this is in keeping with the fact that many people now view the forum from devices with smaller screens. The whole forum is generally more readable and friendly on the eye.

The top bar now sticks to the page as you scroll down, keeping your messages, notifications and other useful bits and bobs there in a convenient place.

Threads now have a progression bar that moves along as you scroll past posts. You can click the arrows to progress further down the page or just continue scrolling like you're probably used to.

Everything's a bit less square. The rounded edges on buttons and UI elements are a little kinder on the eye than having everything dead square.

People now have their diabetes type AND post-based user title under their names.

The grey theme is now a little darker, and is exactly the same layout as the red theme. This previously wasn't the case, but for the sake of continuity across the forum it's good to keep everything in the same place for everyone.

Enhanced Search - The forum's search function is now more powerful and reliable than ever. It should search faster and there's more options available to narrow down searches till you find what you're after.

@Giverny I cannot find the search bar when I am not signed in. I am often too lazy to sign in. Will this be a permanent thing or will it be reinstated? Thanks.
This requires a change to the template which will allow the search to be universally available. In the mean time, you can simply use google to search the forum - try typing this in to google and see how you get on: 'site:http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum your search here'

Hopefully this'll be fixed later on today!

What's the difference between 'New Posts' and 'Recent Posts' - the view seems exactly the same to me.

Used to think that 'unanswered' threads was really useful, why has that gone?
They're pretty much the same, but 'new posts' prioritises threads that you've already shown an interest in by either watching or posting in.

I'll investigate re-adding the unanswered posts section as it seems to have gone AWOL.

OK - so I've unleashed my inner UAT Tester.

When I go to my own page, and preferences, if I uncheck "collapse signature" and "collapse "user information.....", then Save Changes, I return a message saying my changes have been saved, but the checks reappear in the boxes and no changes occur.

First time I did this, my screen also reverted to the Red colourway, but subsequent iterations, the Mild variant "stuck".

Obviously these aren't user critical, but you did ask.......

I'd best get on with the piece of work I'm trying to complete today, or I'll have to invoice you, rather than my client. ;)
That's super helpful - release your inner UAT tester all you want :D

'Collapse signature' and 'collapse user information' shouldn't be showing up in your settings since they're features that we disabled during development - I think this may be a permissions issue.

I think the issue with the shifting colour schemes was just a one-off bug, but I'll try and replicate it across a few browsers and see if there's a fix.

@Giverny . I really like the new icons underneath the text boxes where there is such a range of responses you can use. I think these are really useful, especially the informative one. I also love having my legend back. Thank you. :)
Glad you like the new changes, mo!

Where are the unanswered posts? @Administrator.
They'll be back soon, hopefully. It's on my to do list :)

I wanted to agree and also like on the same post, but it appears that I am unable to do so ?? are we only allowed one icon click per post ? Thanks.
Yes, only one rating is available per post. It essentially has the same functionality as the 'like' button did (i.e. either you like or you don't) but just with a wider variety of ways to express your feeling towards a post.

Also, no hug or wave icon ( emotion) which was asked for way back and still not here, this is my sad and disappointed emotion. :-( And a hug is very much needed for someone who is going through a difficult time and all so a wave to say hi/hello ..................................
We'll look at getting these added! :D

What's happening to my avatar?. It keeps switching between my original and present image
There may be some regressions with avatars that have been selected from the avatar gallery. Unsure what's causing this currently but it's being looked into. I recommend clearing your browser cache, as this can cause some issues with site changes. If you're not sure how to do that, here's a useful guide https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic

Noticed the green dot to show a members on-line status has disappeared, is this going to be reintroduced?
This is still working fine for me - I've noticed the online indicator is a little hidden on certain avatars though, so I'll look at a fix for that

I like it. (Except for the 'dislike' button, which I think is going to cause some open warfare in the near future...)

Do I have to click on my name (top R) in order to check for green flags, or will they automatically appear?

@SweetLucie
There is an option to tone the colours down by switching to a monochrome scheme.
If you scroll down to the bottom of the screen underneath the Tweet icon, there is a dropdown box offering 'Mild' or 'red'.
Click to choose, and you should get a greyer or redder version.

Not sure if the dropdown is visible on all platforms...
Agreed - the dislike button was removed towards the end of yesterday. Notifications should automatically appear when you receive them.

I'm another one with no green dot, and I'm on-line and typing.

I quite like the larger font and avatars.
Looking into the issue with the online indicator. Glad you like the larger fonts and avatars! :)

May we also be able to see which mods are online?
This should be visible in the right-hand sidebar on the forum homepage. I'll double (even triple) check that this visible to everyone.

I can't see new or recent posts at all on my iphone? Am I looking in wrong place??
Thanks for pointing this out - seems this was missed out from the 'menu' list on the left hand side. Added to my to do list :)

No green dot on my name and I would like to like and agree at the same time too - so far I like the changes :)
Glad you like the changes so far! Unfortunately, it's beyond the capabilities of the post rating system to add more than one rating per post (for now, at least) but it'll be looked into for the next update we release :)

I like the new format and like others am happy there is no "Dislike" button, it would cause tension amongst members.
Glad you like the update, Eddie :D

Looks very strange but will get used to the new style, trying to work out how to like a post
Hey Ally - it might take a little bit of getting used to, but I've tried not to make any major disruptive changes so hopefully won't take too long :happy:

In order to like a post, simply tap the thumb icon on the users' post. There's a number of ways you can react to posts now!
The changes make the forum look great - if you are a 12 year old shrieking over their first message using emojis. Just use facebook its easier.

additionally a user I have put on ignore is still showing posts in this thread when I am logged in. What else do I have to do to ensure I do not see their posts?
I'm unsure why an ignored user's posts would be showing up. Will look into this.

One really annoying bug ..... if there's a 38 page thread, it reads back (say) to page 37 36 35 34 and then a box where it's "..."

If it's a two page thread, it shows 2 in the box but in the page 1 box? It's "..."
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll take a look at this. Hopefully just a CSS issue.

A couple of things from me @Giverny .

When viewing a loooong thread, where I am some way from up to date, if I use the symbol, replacing the button with .... on it, I can select another page, once. Should I want to jump ahead a few, or several pages again, the symbol is no longer present, so the only options available are "Next" and the most up to date page.

Secondly, if I elect to open a number of threads, in differing new tabs, forum style is erratic. Sometimes it is my preferred, and selected "Mild" style, but others are in the default "Red".

I'm using Windows 10 Pro, and browsing on Google Chrome. I haven't cross referenced either of these points on any other OS or browser.
Will try and reproduce this issue and find a fix. If you haven't already, try clearing your browser cache as this seems to be causing a few issues.

I have an old version of my avatar, too.
Though I must say, I am feeling quite nostalgic when I see that there are others with their former avatars. I would like my updated avatar back please. The fluffy duck one is so last year.
I recommend following these steps to clear your browser cache - let me know if this doesn't fix the problem: https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic

That's what I see too. I don't make too much fuss re forum changes, the new look will take some getting used to but that's ok. The comments raised about the pages and 1, 2, .... etc I totally agree with, they are the same on another forum I use and it drives me nuts having to go forward and back a couple pages at a time, especially with a very long thread. I like the numbered post count in a thread. I haven't investigated the rainbows and stuff at the bottom of the posts, think it looks a bit childish to be honest (although I'll probably end up using them!) and I'm not quite sure of their purpose.
Looking into the issue with page numbers. The rainbows and other icons at the bottom of posts have now replaced the 'like' feature (though like is still an option if you want to keep it simple) and just given it a little more variety.

When I get notification & tap on the flag the screen darkens & the right hand side goes blank. If the App hasn't changed I will use that instead. Don't know why you have to mess around with the format, unless it's to keep someone occupied & out of mischief . Don't like it at all
What device are you using, Chris? Tapping your notifications *should* bring out a side menu but I'll work on a fix for this if it's not working across certain devices.

@Giverny
I just noticed that my profile as an avatar of someone I am supposed to be following.
As I don't show favouritism, I choose not to follow anybody. Though in reality I try to keep up with all members' posts.
A minor glitch, as I am finding the new style in monochrome easy on the eye.
That's very strange! Try checking this page, and see if it lists that user http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/account/following

On the plus side, glad you like the updates to the mono theme!

Me again. :) <<<< my very best pedant's smile

Should I choose to view a blog entry, it displays in the "Red" forum style, not my usual "Mild" option. This could be how it is intended, but if it is, my comment would be that after using Mild forr a while, the Red format is almost retina-brurningly-bright.

This is on Win 10 Pro, browsing in Google Chrome; a different laptop to last night, just for information.

@Giverny, I bet you just can't wait until I have time to log log on via an Apple device with Safari. :D
Haha it's all good!

This is actually working as intended, since the blog system's styling is quite quirky but I'll work on a fix for it. I apologise if this has hurt your eyes!

All my testing has been done on a Mac, so hopefully you shouldn't find too many issues. That said, safari makes me feel a tad nauseous. Thanks for your useful input so far :)

I'm not getting any notifications on my watched threads. When I click on my name top right it says I have no new alerts, but I know people have posted on them e.g. Alisons have a smile on me thread. Help please ty xx
Sounds like a glitch to me - will try and reproduce this glitch and work out a fix!

@Giverny

My alerts are also random. I am getting some but not all. For example, I'm not getting them for this thread, which I have previously posted on. I have no idea how many other threads I'm also missing.

Windows PC. Chrome.
This is really strange behaviour. It's in my to do list to look into this though, so hopefully we'll be able to get this fixed in the coming weeks.

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far (positive and negative, it all goes towards improving the forum for everyone!) please keep posting any issues you manage to find. If I've missed any posts with issues that need addressing, feel free to point them out to me and I'll do my best to reply ASAP!

Reactions: 11 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

To be serious. I have been missing most relevant notifications on threads since the previous DCUK forum update..?! It tends to be random.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, there is always an avatar - sometimes it's the picture of me which is my current avatar and sometimes it's of Audrey Hepburn which was my original avatar when I joined the forum. Keeps things interesting though :) :)

And there was me thinking your avatars were the other way around! :woot:

N

NicolaB70

May I ask a question in general. Please can you give me an insight to why as when I'm on the forum on my iPad either through safari or the app, when I use emojis very very few work. The other week I had one out of ten appear yet when I use the app on my iPhone all emojis I've used work and appear. I know other iPad and phone users have found this problem also. Many thanks

Reactions: 5 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
May I ask a question in general. Please can you give me an insight to why as when I'm on the forum on my iPad either through safari or the app, when I use emojis very very few work. The other week I had one out of ten appear yet when I use the app on my iPhone all emojis I've used work and appear. I know other iPad and phone users have found this problem also. Many thanks
Are you referring to emojis that are in your phone's keyboard or the ones built into the forum?

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
My

it's the built in ones in my iPad and iPhone
Then unfortunately, that's beyond my control. These are built in to the iOS software and aren't universally compatible. I can only recommend that you use the ones built into the forum software instead.

Reactions: 2 people
N

NicolaB70

Then unfortunately, that's beyond my control. These are built in to the iOS software and aren't universally compatible. I can only recommend that you use the ones built into the forum software instead.
Ok thank you for that

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Giverny
Thanks for the info and the improvements.

I use 4 different devices - a PC, and Chromebook both using Google Chrome, the BlackBerry 10 OS Smartphone and Galaxy Tablet and there seems to be greater consistency and fewer variances on each device. I'm impressed! Thank you!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Thanks @Giverny, like previous poster I'm finding things are much more settled today although things do seem more consistent on my pc, I tend to use my tablet for the forum mostly, but I've come onto my pc to sort my avatar out.
p.s. you also have two different avatars showing online, cat+glasses on my alerts and new avatar here - great fun!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
And there was me thinking your avatars were the other way around! :woot:
What do you think of this one taken an hour ago? Just to prove that we do [sometimes] have sunshine in Scotland

Reactions: 6 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wasn't sure about the font at first but I have got used to it now and I like the hug button!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you for taking on board the hug suggestion, we all need one, now and then :)

C

chris lowe

Sorry for the super late reply here, everyone - wanted to take some time and address each concern properly!

Many of the updates this time round have been 'under the hood', so aren't relevant or noticeable by the end user.

Post ratings - you can now rate posts with more than just the like button. I'm sure this is the most glaringly obvious update, and if anyone has any suggestions for additions please feel free to post them here! Currently, we have the following reactions: like, agree, funny, winner, informative, friendly, useful, optimistic, creative.

App updates - those that use the app from the App Store or Google Play should download updates available on iOS and Android. There's been a few changes to the interface just to keep it all modern and clean.

Forum style - Quite a few things have changed here.

The font size is notably larger - this is in keeping with the fact that many people now view the forum from devices with smaller screens. The whole forum is generally more readable and friendly on the eye.

The top bar now sticks to the page as you scroll down, keeping your messages, notifications and other useful bits and bobs there in a convenient place.

Threads now have a progression bar that moves along as you scroll past posts. You can click the arrows to progress further down the page or just continue scrolling like you're probably used to.

Everything's a bit less square. The rounded edges on buttons and UI elements are a little kinder on the eye than having everything dead square.

People now have their diabetes type AND post-based user title under their names.

The grey theme is now a little darker, and is exactly the same layout as the red theme. This previously wasn't the case, but for the sake of continuity across the forum it's good to keep everything in the same place for everyone.

Enhanced Search - The forum's search function is now more powerful and reliable than ever. It should search faster and there's more options available to narrow down searches till you find what you're after.

This requires a change to the template which will allow the search to be universally available. In the mean time, you can simply use google to search the forum - try typing this in to google and see how you get on: 'site:http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum your search here'

Hopefully this'll be fixed later on today!

They're pretty much the same, but 'new posts' prioritises threads that you've already shown an interest in by either watching or posting in.

I'll investigate re-adding the unanswered posts section as it seems to have gone AWOL.

That's super helpful - release your inner UAT tester all you want :D

'Collapse signature' and 'collapse user information' shouldn't be showing up in your settings since they're features that we disabled during development - I think this may be a permissions issue.

I think the issue with the shifting colour schemes was just a one-off bug, but I'll try and replicate it across a few browsers and see if there's a fix.

Glad you like the new changes, mo!

They'll be back soon, hopefully. It's on my to do list :)

Yes, only one rating is available per post. It essentially has the same functionality as the 'like' button did (i.e. either you like or you don't) but just with a wider variety of ways to express your feeling towards a post.

We'll look at getting these added! :D

There may be some regressions with avatars that have been selected from the avatar gallery. Unsure what's causing this currently but it's being looked into. I recommend clearing your browser cache, as this can cause some issues with site changes. If you're not sure how to do that, here's a useful guide https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic

This is still working fine for me - I've noticed the online indicator is a little hidden on certain avatars though, so I'll look at a fix for that

Agreed - the dislike button was removed towards the end of yesterday. Notifications should automatically appear when you receive them.

Looking into the issue with the online indicator. Glad you like the larger fonts and avatars! :)

This should be visible in the right-hand sidebar on the forum homepage. I'll double (even triple) check that this visible to everyone.

Thanks for pointing this out - seems this was missed out from the 'menu' list on the left hand side. Added to my to do list :)

Glad you like the changes so far! Unfortunately, it's beyond the capabilities of the post rating system to add more than one rating per post (for now, at least) but it'll be looked into for the next update we release :)

Glad you like the update, Eddie :D

Hey Ally - it might take a little bit of getting used to, but I've tried not to make any major disruptive changes so hopefully won't take too long :happy:

In order to like a post, simply tap the thumb icon on the users' post. There's a number of ways you can react to posts now!

I'm unsure why an ignored user's posts would be showing up. Will look into this.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll take a look at this. Hopefully just a CSS issue.

Will try and reproduce this issue and find a fix. If you haven't already, try clearing your browser cache as this seems to be causing a few issues.

I recommend following these steps to clear your browser cache - let me know if this doesn't fix the problem: https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic

Looking into the issue with page numbers. The rainbows and other icons at the bottom of posts have now replaced the 'like' feature (though like is still an option if you want to keep it simple) and just given it a little more variety.

What device are you using, Chris? Tapping your notifications *should* bring out a side menu but I'll work on a fix for this if it's not working across certain devices.

That's very strange! Try checking this page, and see if it lists that user http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/account/following

On the plus side, glad you like the updates to the mono theme!

Haha it's all good!

This is actually working as intended, since the blog system's styling is quite quirky but I'll work on a fix for it. I apologise if this has hurt your eyes!

All my testing has been done on a Mac, so hopefully you shouldn't find too many issues. That said, safari makes me feel a tad nauseous. Thanks for your useful input so far :)

Sounds like a glitch to me - will try and reproduce this glitch and work out a fix!

This is really strange behaviour. It's in my to do list to look into this though, so hopefully we'll be able to get this fixed in the coming weeks.

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far (positive and negative, it all goes towards improving the forum for everyone!) please keep posting any issues you manage to find. If I've missed any posts with issues that need addressing, feel free to point them out to me and I'll do my best to reply ASAP!
Re the problem with the notifications I am using an iPad but not with the app, I just type in the website address. It works on my laptop

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tried your suggestion @Giverny but I still get fluffy duck avatar, and profile saying I am following one anonymous person even though I don't follow anybody.