DSN retired

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Today I phoned Medtronic to place my first order for Enlite sensors, only to be told they had no notification from my hospital that they were funding this. I was told to contact my DSN and ask her to phone or e-mail them, confirming I had been granted funding.

Unfortunately, my DSN retired last month. I followed instructions given in a letter from hospital, and phoned the switchboard asking them to page a DSN . . . She hadn't a clue what I was talking about and asked what "DSN" was. When I told her, she put me through to the Diabetes Centre where the receptionist put me through to "one of the nurses", but there was no reply. I was asked to leave a message - but it COULD take up to 48 hours before someone got back to me.

I was RAGING!! OK, it's not a life or death situation but . . .

I am highly stressed at the moment, as I'm waiting for an endoscopy to confirm (or not) that I have coeliac disease. My BGs are all over the place (a symptom???) and I'm feeling quite down. The last thing I needed was all this happening this morning.

I don't have a DSN and don't expect a new pump expert to be appointed any time soon. When my former DSN was ill, I saw 2 other DSNs discussing which one of them would see me (I think they drew straws!), so I don't have much faith in them.

. . . Oh I feel better now!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@dancer, ring the clinic back and ask the receptionist if one of the other DSN's can get back in touch with you asap, if the remaining DSN's aren't pump savvy then just ask if you can see the consultant from now on at your clinic appointments.

Hope you get sorted soon.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@dancer give your CCG a ring and ask to speak to the person who is in charge of the long term condition programme manager. Explain what has happened and ask who is in charge of paying the bill and setting up an account with the pump company you use.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies folks.

@noblehead, I only saw my DSN between my 6 monthly appointments. Thankfully I do usually see my consultant at those appointments!

@CarbsRok, I don't think we actually have CCGs in Scotland. My DSN spoke about some kind of hospital manager arranging my funding. I was even sent a number (they called it a call off number) I had to use when ordering my sensors. My first 3 months supply was ordered by the hospital and sent to me by Medtronic. I just can't understand why they don't have a note of this.

I'll try phoning the hospital again tomorrow. In fact I think I'll try Medtronic again.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea how it works in Scotland, if you were in England I'd be recommending you get in touch with input diabetes. So, I had a look on their website and they recommend that people in Scotland with issues accessing nhs funding for pumps (i would say the sensors fall under this) should contact a group called insulin pump awareness group Scotland - apparently they have a Facebook page.

Sorry not to be of more help. Good luck getting it sorted.

Loliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had problems with my supply, and it turned out my DSN had not sent them a letter explaining and giving them permission to give me my stuff. Or rather, she had, but it had gone out of date and they needed another, or something like that. I would phone my Consultant's secretary and explain what has happened (write it down in point form so you don't miss anything out). Ask for her email so you can send the info in an email, and then state what you want, which is a letter faxed or emailed asap to Medtronic with permission for them to supply you.