Type 2 Need a meter.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I bet CSI coukd still get a DNA match on it though. My GP organised a sharps box for me to use. I think we should try to act responsibly, and I do try to dipose of these items correctly. We should not advise Newbies to follow what is generally considered an unsafe practice, even if we personally follow different practices ourselves.

OK so the GP disagrees with type two testing and my council do not supply sharps bins , so it would not be sensible for me to turn up at the surgery with a box of sharps.
When I did my diabetese course we were also told the same thing and if you think it's the wrong way to do things & I have no alternative what would you suggest, that I keep them in a sandwich box in the loft? I follow advice from two dependable sources who have more knowledge and I am sure they give that advice responsibly

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK so the GP disagrees with type two testing and my council do not supply sharps bins , so it would not be sensible for me to turn up at the surgery with a box of sharps.
When I did my diabetese course we were also told the same thing and if you think it's the wrong way to do things & I have no alternative what would you suggest, that I keep them in a sandwich box in the loft? I follow advice from two dependable sources who have more knowledge and I am sure they give that advice responsibly
I stand by what I said, and I am surprised that someone who has earned Legendary respect on this Forum should want to argue against it. we each of us have a duty of care to promote best practice where we can because others reading this thread may do as you have done and interpret your advice as being correct. Proper protection and disposal of contaminated waste is not to be taken lightly in this age of antibiotic resistance. Having jabbed myself by accident a few times now, it is something that is avoidable with good housekeeping. And yes, a sandwich box would be an acceptable substitute provided it is kept away from children.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And yes, a sandwich box would be an acceptable substitute provided it is kept away from children.
I stand corrected on this.
This is taken from the ~Environment Waste Act 2005
Where hypodermic needles are produced in the home, on no account should soft drink cans, plastic bottles or similar containers be used for the disposal of needles, since these could present serious hazards to staff if they were disposed of in domestic waste. Sharps bins can be obtained on prescription (FP10 prescription form) and can be returned to your doctor for disposal when full. The duty on local authorities to collect and dispose of clinical waste generated by households also applies to sharps waste and again the local authority may make a charge to cover the cost of collection.

Note it does not cover lancets as a specific item, but these are classified elsewhere as 'clinical waste'/

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I stand corrected on this.
This is taken from the ~Environment Waste Act 2005
Where hypodermic needles are produced in the home, on no account should soft drink cans, plastic bottles or similar containers be used for the disposal of needles, since these could present serious hazards to staff if they were disposed of in domestic waste. Sharps bins can be obtained on prescription (FP10 prescription form) and can be returned to your doctor for disposal when full. The duty on local authorities to collect and dispose of clinical waste generated by households also applies to sharps waste and again the local authority may make a charge to cover the cost of collection.

Note it does not cover lancets as a specific item, but these are classified elsewhere as 'clinical waste'/
There is another thread on this subject way back, probably 2014 and the majority put used lancets either in old bottles, wrapped or back in the container then into house waste. If you had a nose bleed would you not put the tissues into your waste? Likewise razor blades, scalpels used for modeling and feminine products from 'that time of the month' all containing a lot more blood than the tiny (bent ) over pin on a lancet

joshua09

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Joshua - we have a few brand new meters in the office. If you can send me a PM we'll get something sent to you next week?
thankyou, I have one now. just going to be hard dealing with the prices of lancets and strips! but its not like its going down the drain I guess

Reactions: 2 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
thankyou, I have one now. just going to be hard dealing with the prices of lancets and strips! but its not like its going down the drain I guess
Great you got a meter, mum's are so good eh? As I said Home Health are the cheapest supplier and because you can use the lancets more than once you only have to think of strips, if you buy five boxes at once with this code 264086
It's like buying four and getting one free. Good luck with the testing

Reactions: 5 people
P

paula.nolan42

I have a question about buying a Codefree Blood Glucose Monitoring System - do you just buy the pack first and then get the extra supplies later or is it better to buy all in one go ? As a first time buyer what do you do ?

Reactions: 3 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have a question about buying a Codefree Blood Glucose Monitoring System - do you just buy the pack first and then get the extra supplies later or is it better to buy all in one go ? As a first time buyer what do you do ?
The meter comes with only five strips & a couple of lancets and you can use those in less than a day so best to order strips & lancets as well delivery is only a few days. Welcome to the thread as you have probably guessed from the virtual party we are all a little crazy but it adds to the fun:)

LaurenMoffitt

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Anyone tried code free strips with agamatrix jazz please? The meter is code free so wondered if it would work?

S

Shar67

Well, strangely enough I read this on a diabetes website and my DN backed it. We are talking of lancets not needles, the pin is very short and when bent down against the plastic and returned to the strip tub therere is no danger of anyone pricking themselves on it. I also run my strips under the tap which washes the testing blood out and that also goes in the rubbish, perfectly safe.

Yes but your adding to land fill, do you know how many years it would take for one single lancet to degrade, if you get a sharps box, they are send to energy sites to be burned

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

There is another thread on this subject way back, probably 2014 and the majority put used lancets either in old bottles, wrapped or back in the container then into house waste. If you had a nose bleed would you not put the tissues into your waste? Likewise razor blades, scalpels used for modeling and feminine products from 'that time of the month' all containing a lot more blood than the tiny (bent ) over pin on a lancet

Scalpels for modelling isn't clinic waste, nor are razor blades. Feminine hygiene products, are the 2nd biggest pollutant in household waste, disposable nappies being 1st. I for one think it reusable is a much better way land fill is not good waste management