Its my birthday on monday and were going out for a meal, help!

PD Oz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Its my birthday on monday and were going to franky and bennys for a meal. Its all Italian/American food. Pasta, steaks, Pizzas etc...
What kind of things can i actually eat? I am also trying to lose weight and doing well so dont want to ruin what i have done so far.
I was considering steak and chips? All the pasta meals seem to be covered in creamy cheesy sauces!!
I also wanted a drink, possibly a cocktail, but would that be full of sugar? I am so confused i was only diagnosed just over a week ago.
Another tip that you should seriously consider is something a GP told me many years ago for diabetics and that is walk, walk, walk, and walk and then some. Ideally if you can structure your day to fit in a brisk constant walk of up to an hour but no less than 30min, after dinner is especially helpful in burning the excess, then you will have a huge benefit as a result. If you haven't taken to serious walking already get yourself a quality pair of cushioned and supportive walking shoes. It will be a good investment.

Reactions: 2 people

Romeran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No one ever mentions other people's reaction to diabetes. Sometimes I detect resentment, presumably if a diabetic person abstains from dessert, they make others feel unnecessarily guilty. I find, even with family, I make more concessions to them than they do to me. Do they fear illness in their Mum? I live on my own so usually this doesn't arise. I have no complications.(type 2). Just curious but it would be nice if someone occasionally asked after my annual reviews!

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
@JayClubRocker

I would have gone to one of the carvery pub chains and had a meal there; providing you stick to the low carb foods and have plenty of green veg, you can really enjoy a meal out. Rather than alcohol, try tap water with ice & lemon; wonderfully refreshing, and no spike!

Hope you had a super birthday.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

No one ever mentions other people's reaction to diabetes. Sometimes I detect resentment, presumably if a diabetic person abstains from dessert, they make others feel unnecessarily guilty. I find, even with family, I make more concessions to them than they do to me. Do they fear illness in their Mum? I live on my own so usually this doesn't arise. I have no complications.(type 2). Just curious but it would be nice if someone occasionally asked after my annual reviews!
I never mention other people's reactions to my diabetes because I don't actually care :) I wouldn't eat a dessert to keep others happy. Not if it was going to make me ill. The good thing is that you are now on this forum where people will be genuinely interested in your annual review. If people have a problem with your diabetes, then it's their problem not yours. Just keep doing what keeps you healthy and happy and choose your battles. All the best.

nothing56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat there quite often. I find ether a steak and salad or i go for a naked burger. Thats a burger with no bun and salad or veg instead of the fries.

I eat out quite a lot even though im on a diet and i have yet to find any restaurant that is unwilling to change the set meals.

For example at Christmas i had the prawn cocktail, steak+salad and cheese board but with celery in place of the crackers.

Your paying, Dont be afraid to ask.