What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
I woke up at 6.50 this morning and was 4.4. Went back to sleep. Woke again at 9.10am (had a very late night!) and was 4.8 !! Why the heck had it gone up???

Reactions: 10 people

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I woke up at 6.50 this morning and was 4.4. Went back to sleep. Woke again at 9.10am (had a very late night!) and was 4.8 !! Why the heck had it gone up???

This happens to me during naps, I think it's the body's 'fight or flight' syndrome kicking in when your level is fairly low - when the body produces cortisol, blood sugars increase. The other thing is that being sedentary can cause small increases, e.g sometimes when I sit at my desk for hours at work, my level goes up a little without me doing anything.

5.1 this morning myself.

Reactions: 8 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Its Yer liver...generously gives out glucose know as the dawn phenomenon

Reactions: 2 people

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I wouldn't have thought that your height affects your Blood Sugar levels. Why would it?

My readings were 7.7 at 0745 then I tested again at 0755 and it was 8.2. I think the new meter I am using is faulty or my cold has affected readings. I haven't had such high readings since I've been testing over the last four weeks.
Someone added something earlier re their height and it's something I hadn't thought about. But being tall does affect BP and heartrate and having longer muscle bellies would probably need more energy to use them than someone of a lower height. Taller people do burn energy a lot quicker. The guy said he was 2mtrs tall that's about 6'7" ish. I think he may have a point. But I'm no expert as obviously you must be. That's why I opened the question.

ickleowl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People asking my husband how I am, or what is wrong with me. It's my legs that don't work - the mouth & brain are still functioning normally
Hi. My husband kindly wakes me each morning by checking my BS. I'm usually either 4. something or 6. something, depending on what time I go to bed. Today was 4.5 - I actually made it to bed before midnight! (I have chronic pains in my legs, which keep me up until the morphine kicks in!)

See you tomorrow?!

Reactions: 8 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone added something earlier re their height and it's something I hadn't thought about. But being tall does affect BP and heartrate and having longer muscle bellies would probably need more energy to use them than someone of a lower height. Taller people do burn energy a lot quicker. The guy said he was 2mtrs tall that's about 6'7" ish. I think he may have a point. But I'm no expert as obviously you must be. That's why I opened the question.
I'm no expert, just wondered how height could affect BP. I understand why it would be related to BMI.

roslynfarm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. My husband kindly wakes me each morning by checking my BS. I'm usually either 4. something or 6. something, depending on what time I go to bed. Today was 4.5 - I actually made it to bed before midnight! (I have chronic pains in my legs, which keep me up until the morphine kicks in!)

See you tomorrow?!
5.3 thism orning. I don't know if I am blogging correctly. My mode of operation is to see a reply button and click.

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm no expert, just wondered how height could affect BP. I understand why it would be related to BMI.
If you're not tall you would never have had the low BP when standing up and nearly falling over reaction. Not nice for us tallies.

Reactions: 5 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
10.4 shakes head....ate late due to a low level...insulin i am not keen on in the evenings grrr

Reactions: 5 people

desseardo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning. Mine was 5.6 at 7.32am. Forgot to take my 40mg gliclazide tablet last night. Oops.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
5.3 thism orning. I don't know if I am blogging correctly. My mode of operation is to see a reply button and click.
If you use the reply button under a post you are replying to that post.
If you want to add a post to the thread go to the last post on the thread and use the 'Write your Reply' box under the last post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you're not tall you would never have had the low BP when standing up and nearly falling over reaction. Not nice for us tallies.
OK I can understand that. I still don't understand how it would affect BS levels though. As someone who is vertically challenged, it seems to me that the few diabetics I know, or saw on the DESMOND course, are not that tall. All were around 5'6".
I would have thought that being shorter would generally mean being more likely to have a higher BMI and therefore a higher tendency to becoming diabetic, though I know that diabetes isn't necessarily related to being overweight.