Sick For the last Few Weeks - Constant Night Sweats

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All, i have been Ill for the last few weeks, it seems to be what ever is going around it left me bed bound for a few days seemed to get better then came back after being gone for nearly a week, now im in recovery again.

During the Day im having to take a lot of insulin to keep me undercontrol at this point im taking around 4u every 2 hours. over night though it has been sky rocketing when im not awake to manage it, which then takes me a while to get in control in the mornings.

My Main Consern it, almost every night with a break here and there for the last month i wake up drenched in sweat.

Im not sure if its related to the over night high blood sugar or not, it has happened when ive been normal over night but my levels have been so unstable with the illness im not sure.

Does anyone else get Nightsweats? its killing me i havnt slept properly in ages.

ive Booked an apointment with my GP but its 2 weeks away. any advice you guys have would be great

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there - can you call up your surgery first thing in the morning and get an appointment same day ? They keep back some spaces for more urgent cases and to be honest I would try and get in sooner, as it's affecting your control and quality of life this is a priority.

Good luck ;)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 weeks is too long feeling as you do. Call your GP and demand a quicker appointment, preferably today. Remind them you have type 1 diabetes.
Good luck!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have you actually checked your blood sugars when drenched in sweat at night? Another suggestion for you have you also considered increasing your basal?

Reactions: 2 people

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you actually checked your blood sugars when drenched in sweat at night? Another suggestion for you have you also considered increasing your basal?
Hi Yea, ive checked as i thought it could be hypo they tend to be around 10 to the low teens the first time then my blood sugar starts increasing though the night.

This morning i Woke up at 18! ive been eatting fairly little as ive not been feeling well. i added on a 10% increase of my overnight dose while im sick but its not doing much.

do you think the high blood sugar could be causing the sweating ?

My Doctors Does Open Surgery in the mornings, though you can be waiting hours to be seen which my work may not like, but i may just have to go in the morning, i spoke to a Dr about it last week she suggested it could be a thyroid issue.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im having some pretty bad issues this morning if anyone could give me advice. i woke up at 18. i had Wheatabix for breakfast 30 carbs 5 units to deal with that and 4 correction. 2 hours later i was 22! i took 4 more units i came down to 16 now im 17 ive taken another 4 units correction. ive never had to take this much before sick or not its been like this for days, there just no right amount of insulin to take no matter how much i take i dont seem to come down much, ive been eatting very little as a way to help control it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Im having some pretty bad issues this morning if anyone could give me advice. i woke up at 18. i had Wheatabix for breakfast 30 carbs 5 units to deal with that and 4 correction. 2 hours later i was 22! i took 4 more units i came down to 16 now im 17 ive taken another 4 units correction. ive never had to take this much before sick or not its been like this for days, there just no right amount of insulin to take no matter how much i take i dont seem to come down much, ive been eatting very little as a way to help control it.
You obviously need to speak to your GP/Diabetic team ASAP. There is something else going on.

In the meantime, apply sick day rules, increasing insulin to try and resolve it. As others have said, it sounds as though whatever has happened has chucked all your amounts out and you need to get them reset.

Have you also made sure that you have fresh vials of insulin to confirm that this isn't the issue?

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You obviously need to speak to your GP/Diabetic team ASAP. There is something else going on.

In the meantime, apply sick day rules, increasing insulin to try and resolve it. As others have said, it sounds as though whatever has happened has chucked all your amounts out and you need to get them reset.

Have you also made sure that you have fresh vials of insulin to confirm that this isn't the issue?
Thanks May give me DSN a call here.

Insulin is fresh and in fridge at home going to try change my vials later just encase

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @itconor. Just a thought...you say you've been ill...are you on any kind of treatment...antibiotics or anything like that...I wonder if something like that could be causing the problem. I know I've had problems with night sweats in the past and it's rotten...especially when you have to change all the bedding in the middle of the night...but mine was caused by the medication treating my other symptoms.
I think maybe I'm just prone to it maybe but also a few years ago I was on Sertraline for depression which gave me the most horrendous night sweats...like I say though...just a thought. Hope you get it sorted

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Natalie, i was taking Co-codomol to deal with the temperature and aches i had but ive stopped for a few days now.

I have always got night sweats normally for a night or 2 then it goes away as does my dad, this is the most consistent and long run ive ever had.

This is also the Sickists ive been in years, what ever this has been its been a lot worse than any cold ive ever had so i do wonder if its all just triggered by illness and even though the illness is passing it may take a while for these to stop.

Regardless im going to open Surgery in the morning to see a Doc because its awful just hoping its nothing serious

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good glad your going in the morning, the sooner the better, they should give you priority as a type 1, or if you're feeling really poorly then drop into a hospital this afternoon ? I think you need to get to the bottom of this as soon as you can, work can wait, honestly your health is your priority, keep us posted and hope you get sorted soon ;)

pluto1a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Yea, ive checked as i thought it could be hypo they tend to be around 10 to the low teens the first time then my blood sugar starts increasing though the night.

This morning i Woke up at 18! ive been eatting fairly little as ive not been feeling well. i added on a 10% increase of my overnight dose while im sick but its not doing much.

do you think the high blood sugar could be causing the sweating ?

My Doctors Does Open Surgery in the mornings, though you can be waiting hours to be seen which my work may not like, but i may just have to go in the morning, i spoke to a Dr about it last week she suggested it could be a thyroid issue.
Must admit, when I first read your post my first thought was could it be a Thyroid problem. You can definitely have night sweats with this and can swing from hot to cold in an instant if undertreated. I am have Hypothyroidism due to a sub-total Thyroidectomy in 1978 for Graves Disease which would not settle. At the moment my HbA1c is beginning to climb, and I know that hormonal problems can follow one after the other. Hope your symptoms soon settle and it is nothing to do with Thyroid.

Ruth0212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just got over a 'virus' which gave me similar symptoms. I was needing an extra 30% insulin to control sugars which is unusual for me. This went on for nearly 2 weeks My daughter has it too and has been off school last 10 days and still feels poorly. Hope you've seen doc now and they've done some tests.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds horrid itconor - I know I'm echoing others here but I'd too suggest that it's overactive thyroid - I had awful night sweats with long long time undiagnosed thyrotoxicosis - other symptoms at the time were overanxiety, ceaseless hunger and a racing heart.

I do hope you get sorted soon. Take care, and please keep us posted.

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Night sweats can mean a lot of things, from thyroid issues to NHL to infection and sometimes it can take some time to work out what is causing the symptoms, pretty sure we all agree a much sooner appointment is needed. I know we would all like to hear how you are doing

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hiya - yes how are you now ? @itconor

Vijay_Nadgir

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All, i have been Ill for the last few weeks, it seems to be what ever is going around it left me bed bound for a few days seemed to get better then came back after being gone for nearly a week, now im in recovery again.

During the Day im having to take a lot of insulin to keep me undercontrol at this point im taking around 4u every 2 hours. over night though it has been sky rocketing when im not awake to manage it, which then takes me a while to get in control in the mornings.

My Main Consern it, almost every night with a break here and there for the last month i wake up drenched in sweat.

Im not sure if its related to the over night high blood sugar or not, it has happened when ive been normal over night but my levels have been so unstable with the illness im not sure.

Does anyone else get Nightsweats? its killing me i havnt slept properly in ages.

ive Booked an apointment with my GP but its 2 weeks away. any advice you guys have would be great
From your description of night sweats, I would seriously consider "Hypoglycaemia" during that period. It is one of the commonest causes of sweating in Diabetes while at rest. Please, check your Blood Glucose levels at that time and do not be surprised to find levels of @.5 or even much less in terms of mmol/litre! Being a Physician with T2DM, I frequently suffer the same way. Please, do consult your GP and describe your situation. Best wishes.

fern000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
^ agreed, I get night sweats when I have midnight hypos, often occurring around 3-5am. You might want to check your blood sugars around in the middle of the night just to be sure!

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks All For the Replys, i got fairly ill again shortly after this and have now recovered Night Sweats seem to have stopped its been a few days now since its happened, Ive been to the Docs they gave me a chest Xray and took blood for tests they also suggested it may be a thyroid problem.

I have Had Stomic problems for about 8 months now and am on omeprazol and Gaviscon for it its been suggested this may also be causing it when it flairs up.

Some one above mentioned that hyper thyroid can cause anxiety for the last year or so this has been a problem for me when ive never had it before so it may explain that, I also had some heart palpitations in around the time they first seen my stomic problems but did all the tests on that and said im fine, and suggested it was the anxiety but im on no meds for that.

Hoping it was the sickness but the results of the blood tests should confirm a few things for me

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope the blood tests can provide an answer, @itconor - do keep us posted. Sorry you've not been feeling your best.