5.9 mmol

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello everyone. I have my next hba1c at the end if the month. I'm currently averaging 5.9 mmol over the last 90 days. Cam anyone tell me what this will equate to as a hba1c result? Thanks in advance :)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be anything in reality, and very likely lower than the average of your random prick tests.

When I got my first result after 3 months it came in as an HbA1c of 32 which equated to a much lower than my 90 day average on my meter which was about 6.1 I think.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Impossible to say. Your finger prick tests are not the best indicator. You may have missed many of your peaks, and equally, many of your lows. You may also be a high glycator (which basically means your blood glycates more than average, or a low glycator (blood glycates lower than average). I am a high glycator. My HbA1c is always considerably higher than expected, and much higher than the continuous monitor I am currently using would suggest. Most people fall in the middle, or average, but a lot don't.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone. I have my next hba1c at the end if the month. I'm currently averaging 5.9 mmol over the last 90 days. Cam anyone tell me what this will equate to as a hba1c result? Thanks in advance :)

I would keep an open mind, and not pin your hopes on a score. I don't say that to be unkind, but from personal experience, and I think @Bluetit1802 is the same, my HbA1c is always higher than my averages, from finger prick testing.

An individual's glycation rates, plus idiosyncrasies of their metabolism, perhaps impacting on the rate at which their blood sugar rises and falls in their post-prandial bloods will impact on what the snap-shot of a finger-prick test will show.

I see @britishpub has the opposite experience from me, in terms of meter average versus HbA1c score, which just goes to show how individual it all is.

Good luck at the end of the month though. I hope you return a great result.

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I usually test twice a day. Am and Pm after hitting low 5s during the rest of the day I decided it wasn't necessary.

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the input though. Looks like I'll just have to wait and see. There's so many contradictions with diabetes it's almost worth not bothering with a this at all and just going with it to see what happens.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually test twice a day. Am and Pm after hitting low 5s during the rest of the day I decided it wasn't necessary.
To be honest, as a T2, provided you are not on any aggressive, hypo-inducing drugs, and have a good testing database, meaning you can pretty much predict your score after any given meal and scenario, then the benefit of full-time testing can definitely be considered diminished. Of course, that depends if you testing is all part of your control mechanism. In other words, if it keeps you on-track, and away from the naughties, it's hard to say it's irrelevant.

The thing about any finger prick testing is that by it's very nature - it takes 5 seconds to draw the blob of blood and 5 seconds to do the test? it is an absolute snapshot and an indication of what's going on at that moment. Having used the Freestlye Libre (not full-time, I hasten to add), I have learned just how much of the story we miss by finger prick testing. But, and it's an important but, it does give us guidance, provided we are consistent in our personal testing protocols.

You'll be fine, but setting your heart on a number can make for unnecessary disappointment.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I have learnt that I can never guess nor cling to a hope that my at a
guess numbers range is completely 'accurate' .

Only by using a meter to test with , will accuately let me know what
my blood sugar range is accurately sitting at .
My levels can be quite unpredictable despite all my best efforts .

With my own HbA1c results when I hope they have gone downwards .
Am gutted to find they stay the exact same or have crept up a notch .
Again despite my best efforts - it can be so annoying too .

Hence how and why I have to test and am unable to ever second guess my
own blood sugar readings .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I found a chart on the Internet that gives a prediction and 5.9 equates to a hba1c of 38. Will just have to wait and see what happens. This thing really getting me down lately.