Med's reduction

Dusk71

Hi everyone. Could I ask some advice please.
I have been lchf since 1st January and my bs have dropped from 9-12 to regular 4's before meals and 6-7 after. I'm well chuffed with these results,
I am prescribed trajenta (1 X 5mg a day) and 2000mg of sr metformin..
I stopped the traj last week and didn't notice any difference in bs. So now I'm considering reducing my met.
Here's my question.. Should I wait a bit longer for my body to adjust to the new regime of stopping traj, say another week, or start reducing my 4x mets to 3 straight away?
Tia, I appreciate all advice

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

My advice would be to speak to your GP or nurse about reducing your medication as nobody here is qualified to advise you. Sorry, probably not the advice you were hoping for.

Well done on those great levels :)

Reactions: 4 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin is prescribed for other reasons than just bgl reduction. It is recognised as having general benefit in terms of cardiac protection, and other areas that affect us PWD's. It is .the safest of the diabetes medications, and you should ask advice on the overall picture before removng the Metformin. it will not have much of an effect on bgl if you did stop it anyway.

Since you have only just started LCHF, it may be too early to make major changes to your meds. Get used to the diet long term, and monitor how you do after stopping the other med. Also, monitor your weight, and also your lipid panel, since these may change (hopefully in the right direction).

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusk71

Thanks I will be phoning my dn tomorrow. She said at my last check up that she's happy for me to adjust as necessary ,, so I'm not worried about the professional advice bit as she's okayed this already. Just not sure over how long it should take. I will give her a ring tomorrow to see if I can get some over the phone advice though

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Oldvatr I'm hoping to be on just 1000mg and stick with that tbh.
I hate 2000. Not sure why it's such an issue really!
Its not an isue. i am on 2000 g myself, and also doing LCHF. I just felt that you only have one month of the new conditions, so may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I too am reducing my secondary med (Gliclazide) as I adjust to my diet and the new low levels.

The Metformin at 2000g is reputed to have much better effect than lower doses (step change) and although I have adjusted the time that i take it, i will continue with it. It is unlikely to cause a hypo, so why the hurry to drop it? Is it gastric problems?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dusk71 This is not advice! My husband started his diabetes experience, in summer 2013, on a largish dose of Metformin. Within a couple of weeks, he halved this. A few weeks later, halved again and then at about 6 months, gave up all meds. He was, and still is, on a low carb diet and retains non-diabetic blood sugars and good health. His sugars did not go up with the reduction in Met, even though the doctor said they would, but what do GP's know about diabetes, apart from knowing that they can claim extra funding for them (in my cynical experience).
There are some drugs where it is important to come off them gradually. To the best of my knowledge, Met is not one of these, but should a friend ask me for advice, I would suggest tapering off and monitoring the effects.
Sally

Dusk71

The Metformin at 2000g is reputed to have much better effect than lower doses (step change) and although I have adjusted the time that i take it, i will continue with it. It is unlikely to cause a hypo, so why the hurry to drop it? Is it gastric problems?[/QUOTE]

Dusk71

The Metformin at 2000g is reputed to have much better effect than lower doses (step change) and although I have adjusted the time that i take it, i will continue with it. It is unlikely to cause a hypo, so why the hurry to drop it? Is it gastric problems?
[/QUOTE]

No it's not giving me any problems. I think I want to feel I'm more in control rather than the Med's are controlling me, I also reduced Med's to this 1000 level 2 years ago and would like to get back there . I have had a very badly controlled year and Med's increased in line with that at my last 2 check ups. I really regret that now

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Dusk71 This is not advice! My husband started his diabetes experience, in summer 2013, on a largish dose of Metformin. Within a couple of weeks, he halved this. A few weeks later, halved again and then at about 6 months, gave up all meds. He was, and still is, on a low carb diet and retains non-diabetic blood sugars and good health. His sugars did not go up with the reduction in Met, even though the doctor said they would, but what do GP's know about diabetes, apart from knowing that they can claim extra funding for them (in my cynical experience).
There are some drugs where it is important to come off them gradually. To the best of my knowledge, Met is not one of these, but should a friend ask me for advice, I would suggest tapering off and monitoring the effects.
Sally
It is advice, but not the advice you would agree with. @Dusk71 the choice is yours, Certainly there are many on LCHF who have managed to reduce or stop their meds. Some have had to go back on them, some have not,

As I said, it is not an issue. The advice on monitoring weight and lipids is still valid either way because you do not yet have a proven track record on how you diet is fully affecting you, and it will affect more than just bgl and HbA1c.

Dusk71

My weight is fine I've lost 10 pounds that I didn't really need to as my bmi was 23 and hasn't been a prob and my cholesterol is also ok. ( but that may alter after changing my diet)
I will give the dn a call for advice and to up my pres for testing strips.
Thanks for taking the time on my post

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My weight is fine I've lost 10 pounds that I didn't really need to as my bmi was 23 and hasn't been a prob and my cholesterol is also ok. ( but that may alter after changing my diet)
I will give the dn a call for advice and to up my pres for testing strips.
Thanks for taking the time on my post
No probs/ There was one thing I did not mention,and that is money. Yes the GP may get paid for each patient going on medication, but the important thing to be aware of is that PWD's on medication get free scrips in the UK and also qualify for VAT relief on certain items such as meters anf strips.. We also get free eyetests too. Perhaps something else to consider when dropping diabetic medications. Just a thought,