Pump Insurance

Jakki

Hi I have been using a medtronic 722 since February funded by by my PCT however I need to insure it myself. My house insurance company will not cover as it is medical equipment. Does anyone know of any companies that will cover the pump against acidental damage? Also looking for for Travel Insurance

Thanks

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Are you sure you need to pay for insurance for your pump???

I could be wrong, but I thought if it get accidently damaged the NHS will pay for a replacement. The consultant at my clinic told us a short story about a guy who kepts getting his pump ran over by cars... i guess he worked in a garage or something.. he never mentioned that he had to pay for it himself or have it insured....

I will ask my nurse next time im in the clinic (later this month) and find out where we stand with the NHS and damaged pumps...

djjenko

Hi I know this is a old entry but if you havn,t found a insurer go for abbey insurence the peace of mind unlimited cover with accidental damage cover, i have been on the pump since Thursday 22nd october, when i got the pump home i phoned my insurers and they covered it straight away just tell them you are a diabetic and would like to insure your insulin pump, tell them it is in excess of £2000 they will require a letter from your PCT Just a letter head saying that you are responsible for the pump the cost of the pump and that you have to wear the pump 24/7, i didn,t even get the letter until after i got the cover for my pump, the policy increased by £57 a year but thats why Abbey insurance call it Peace of mind, make sure you get the contents as unlimited cover.

All the best hope you get it sorted.

Shaun

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Shaun, I - like many pumpers - don't have to pay any extra premium, it's worth shopping around.

Dave37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My PCT won't provide the letter as they are claiming ownership of the pump, because they paid for it! Without the letter my insurance company won't insure and the NHS will not replace it durring the life of the pump. I've heard of other PCTs that are the same, just got to hope I don't damage it.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Dave37 said:
My PCT won't provide the letter as they are claiming ownership of the pump, because they paid for it! Without the letter my insurance company won't insure and the NHS will not replace it durring the life of the pump. I've heard of other PCTs that are the same, just got to hope I don't damage it.
Dave, your PCT can't have it both ways: they must either provide you with a letter or insure the pump themselves. If you continue to have difficulties, it might be worth contacting Input for assistance in reminding your PCT of its responsibilities: /www.input.me/uk

katiebrady

I simply phoned my insurance company (RIAS), gave them details, cost etc and they insured me without any paperwork think it cost an extra £10 a year. I have to admit that this is the third pump I've had since January 2009 simply due to malfunctions and they were replaced by Roche immediately without any hassle. Good luck :D