BYETTA

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hi Gerbil.
Welcome to the forum. Another who deserves a medal for wading through all the previous posts on Byetta.
Well done. :D

Many Byetta users inject UP to an hour before food. I have injected sometimes ten minutes before then other times it has been almost 50 minutes before. Doesn't seem to affect me at all whichever way I do it. You will just have to experiment yourself and see how you get on. some people suffer a little nausea, I never have, but that could just be down to my 'cast iron' constitution. Many use ginger biscuits or even capsules to counteract any effects. Seems to work ?

The rise in Bg levels is perhaps not unexpected as things will take a little while to settle down. You must keep a close eye on them especially 2 hrs after foods. I presume you are on the lower 5ug pen at the moment. Once you are able to tolerate the drug then you are normally put on the 10ug pen after 30 days.

One thing that you must do is look at your diet. If you do not make changes there then the Byetta is not going to do all the work, you have to give it a helping hand too.

In January I was 19 1/2 st. Started Byetta and a reduced carbs diet, low GI/GL, low fat, low salt etc and now weigh 15 1/2 st. So as you can see, weight loss should be the bonus you are looking for. It is a very good appetite suppressant as well. It does 'exactly what it says on the tin !'

Attachments

• gold star.gif
    gold star.gif
    959 bytes · Views: 2,916

IanP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate green vegetables

Hi all,
I'm new to the Diabetes forum although I've been type 2 for over 12 years. I have a question that I don't think has been posted in this discussion. I'm on the following medication;

Metformin 1000mg x2, Gliclazide 80mg x2 (was x2 + x1), Atenolol 50mg x2, Amlodipine 10mg x1, Ramipril 10mg x1, Dicloflex 50mg x1 (for athritis Paracetemol used during day), Simvastatin.

I've been put on Byetta 5 a couple of weeks ago and so far no problems, my question is -
When should I be taking my pills. Before Byetta I simply took my handful of pills after my breakfast and evening meals. However I was advised to take medication that needs to be absorbed quickly beofre my meal and my Metformin after my meal. Unfortunately no mention was made about taking the pills before or after Byetta. I inject about 15 minutes before eating, except when I forget, and then it can be immediately before eating.

This is a great forum, why did I not find it years ago, I've learned more in the past couple of weeks than I did in the past 12 years. Thanks to everyone.

Ian.

tabnoakes

hi again,

just finished my 3rd week on byetta 5 still getting mild sickness not as bad as it has been, begining to worry about changing up to byetta 10 - should i stay on byetta 5 for another month as i still have the sickness feeling will i be doing any harm to not move up to byetta 10 and leave it for another month?

have any other ladies suffered with thrush due to taking byetta could this be a side effect?

many thanks - tab

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi tab.

There is no reason why you cannot remain on the lower dose of Byetta if you are having problems getting used to it. The 30 day trial is just that, to see how you get on.

Sometimes moving up to the full 10ug dose can be beneficial. This is something you need to discuss with your GP/DSN. There are people who have remained on the 5ug dose the whole time.

Thrush is not specific to the Ladies. Byetta has been known to cause excessive sweating in some people, which provides an ideal breeding ground for episodes of Thrush. It is usally in Diabetic's related to higher Bg levels. If a problem, see your GP as there are some excellent prescription remedies available. Much better than over the counter meds.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello Tabnoakes

I am now into my 7th month with Byetta but as I suffered greatly with persistent nausea (and still do a little) I stayed on the 5 pen for three months.

You mention thrush - I have been suffering with oral thrush for 12 months now but it isnt down to the byetta - it is because 12 months ago I had a 10day course of very strong penicillin which caused the thrush and the diabetes has kept it going!! It has been very miserable and now after a third set of mouth swabs GP has put me on a drug called Itraconazole - 15 day course (am on day 6) so am hoping this will shift it. Have had 4 lots of nystatin drops to no effect but I do not have th thrush anywhere else except of course there may be some in my gut but as I also suffer with IBS I wouldnt know any difference!!

BFN. Jude

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Just a real quickie - hospital appt yesterday - their scales say a drop of 7lb (though different set of scales to last time so not sure how accurate 'before' and 'after' weights might be and my Wii fit scale tells me 10lb off)

Upped dosage to 10mgm and appt in a month, so all seems well at the minute.

thanks to everyone for their help and support over the last little while

Trudy

swine1

Hello.
Been on Byetta 5 now for two days and its weird, Being an ex nurse its something you do to others sticking pins in!! Put the first jab in yesterday an hour before food and felt sick before I ate. It took three hours to clear my system but I did feel better, the second jab before my main meal I took 45 mins before and had no side effects. Today the first had no side effects at all 45 mins before, the second very slight nausea lasting around an hour. I have read quite a few posts on this subject on here but not the answer to my question. Do you think this drug acts on the quantity or makeup of food ie more/less carbs? If its of any interest 15 mins on the treadmill walking slowly made me feel just great this evening and could be linked to the side effects. What do you think?
Regards.

thedame

Hi Swine1 :D

AlthoughI think it might be a bit too early to say for sure what causes your side effects (which will hopefully subside soon anyway), but here is what I have noticed during my first 4 weeks on Byetta.

At first, I found that I felt quite sick a couple of hours after the morning jab but less so after the evening one so yes, I think the quantity of food could be a factor as failure to eat after a jab can cause sickness so it seems logical that if you don't eat enough, as you might not at brekkie time, then some sickness is more likely. By last weekend, I had got over the nausea but after an unusual amount of exercise one morning, I felt very sick by lunchtime and couldn't face food at all - so I am now of the opinion that my body is adjusting to the medication but that on that day I used my food up a lot quicker! Does that make sense? I usually have a coffee mid morning so next time I get a bit over active in the morning, I will try having a cracker or similar with it and see if that helps, rather than wait until I go off lunch altogether.

As far as the actual food is concerned, I eat a mixture of food groups but often find I can't face meats lunchtime so will opt for a salad sandwich or soup and crackers. As this is my first month and I am seeing good results with my bloods and some moderate weight loss, I don't want to mess with the food groups until I have done a full month on the full dose and see how things go. My advice would be to eat sensibly but don't mess too much with your normal food types until you have been on the Byetta for a bit longer as the side effects will hopefully lessen after the first week or two. Best of luck :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Patients should be advised that treatment with BYETTA may result in a reduction in appetite, food intake, and/or body weight, and that there is no need to modify the dosing regimen due to such effects.

Swine1

So, the answer is so long as you have a reasonable amount of carbs then it should all work fine. I don't mean just a biscuit, we are talking about a meal. I have had quite carby food once or twice and it has appeared to 'zap' my Bg levels somewhat. I have dropped like a stone. So I stick to a moderate amount of carbs, around twenty per meal, sometimes a little more. All seems to work fine.

Try testing to see if has a similar effect on you.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I've got an appointment at the hospital on Monday in the Diabetes Ward. I'll be asking about Byetta. I'd love to to give it a try - but I don't know if I'll qualify (BMI 27.7, HbA1c 7.2).

But I'm not getting the results I want with Metformin and Gliclazide. :(

I won't be posting again until afetr my appointment, with a bit of luck I'll have some good news...

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Patch said:
I've got an appointment at the hospital on Monday in the Diabetes Ward. I'll be asking about Byetta. I'd love to to give it a try - but I don't know if I'll qualify (BMI 27.7, HbA1c 7.2).

But I'm not getting the results I want with Metformin and Gliclazide. :(

I won't be posting again until afetr my appointment, with a bit of luck I'll have some good news...

Patch.

The usual point at which Byetta is prescribed is when your BMI is over 35, and glycaemic control is poor. There is also a bit about having been on the maximum dose of other meds. However, these guidelines are routinely ignored, so don't give up.

There is also Victoza (Liraglutide) which may be an option ? Discuss at the hospital. We also have a thread here about Victoza.

Iain77

Hi
Just new to this forum

I have been prescribed Byetta ,which i have to start using On monday 2nd November................I am not sure about it!!!!!
I have not read this thread but i will go back and read through it

My concerns..
I am a psv driver ( bus driver) I cant drive buses if i inject insulin.I think the inject bit is the bit that is worrying me.
I hate needles :(

I have contacted dvla and been told to drive as directed by my doctor, fill the questionaire out when i recieve it and return it,they will be in contact with me.Doesnt effect my car entitlement just the psv.

Any other PSV or HGV drivers out there who use Byetta and also Gilclazide?
Can you still work as a professional driver?
Do you have restrictions put on your driving?

Iain

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi.
This is all down to the DVLA and your individual assessment.
Here is the latest information regarding drivers of LGV/PCV vehicles from the DVLA site.

Treatment with Exenatide (Byetta), Liraglutide (Victoza) or Gliptins

Exenatide has been licensed as a treatment for use in type 2 diabetes, in combination with metformin and or sulphonylureas. Trials published to date show a small but significant risk of hypoglycaemia when exenatide is used in conjunction with a sulphonylurea. It would also appear that when the gliptins (DPP4 inhibitors) or liraglutide are used with sulphonylureas, the hypoglycaemia risk is similarly raised.

The increased risk of hypoglycaemia from exenatide, liraglutide or gliptins when used in combination with sulphonylureas is such that these are felt to be a potentially high risk treatment for drivers holding Group 2 (LGV or PCV) licences and that individual assessment will be required.

Group 2 drivers are required to notify DVLA if they have diabetes treated with tablets. If they are then started on exenatide, liraglutide or a gliptin they are only required to notify DVLA if this is in combination with a sulphonylurea.

So, because it is in combination with Gliclazide (sulphonylurea) you have to be assessed and they will make the decision.

Here is a link to the full regulations from the DVLA. The At a Glance Guide download page.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/ataglance.aspx

Iain77

Thanks

one or the other is fine but both could be a problem.
all depends on how my body reacts to the Byetta.

Iain

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Iain.

When you start the Byetta you want to see how you go and see if the Glic can be cut out altogether, especially if it impinges on your job. When I had been on the Byetta for a while I was able to stop all the meds, so there is hope. Hope things work out for you.

swine1

Hi Cugila.
Thanks for your advise. I think my problem is I dont eat breakfast, My first meal is at lunch and consists of probably some soup and a couple slices toast, or a sandwich. Maybe I should try and eat more at lunch. My BMI Is only 26 so on Byetta I could get into the normal range again. My dinner is not large probably two thirds larger than lunch and spread over a longer period. I was put on Byetta because my Hba1c was 7.5 7.6 over the last 6 months, I was taking Metformin 500 SR which was doubled to 1000 mg and made me quite ill, so just on Metformin 500 and the Byetta now. I try to walk everyday on treadmill, still quite active turned 65 this week.
Regards.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi swine1.

First of al I think you should try and eat some breakfast, doesn't have to be much but it will counteract any Dawn Phenomenon or ' liver dump' effect in the morning, elevating your Bg levels.

Secondly, your lunch seems more than enough at present....two slices of toast is around 30g carbs, the soup could be anything but shall we say between 25 to 35g carbs. - a total of around 60+g carbs.
This will all have an effect on your Bg levels, upwards.

When you say you are on 500mg of Metformin, is that MR/SR or the ordinary version. Whichever it is a very low dose.

Was the Byetta prescribed by your GP or a Consultant (Endocrinologist) ?

swine1

Hi Cugila.
The Metformin is the slow release and I have been on it over a year. It was only when it was doubled that the problem started, bloating, cramps, trapped wind, nausea and a feeling of being quite unwell, I tolerated this for a month but stopped the second 500 and the symptoms were gone in 48 hours. The Byetta was px by my gp and nurse.
Regards.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

swine1.

Thanks for that. seems your GP is flying in the face of all the recognised precribing advice for your treatment. I suppose he must have his/her reasons. :? I hope it is a 5ug pen that has been prescribed ?

The normal sequence would be normal Met then if not tolerated a switch to MR/SR versions. If that not tolerated then an alternative should be found and/or add a sulphonylurea with increasing doses. Normally, only then would something likem Byetta or Victoza or Insulin be considered. Using the criteria I previously outlined.

Can you keep us updated as to how you get on as this is quite an odd one compared to a lot of the others on here. Anybody else in a similar situation ?

sharikab

Hi everyone, firstly thanks for all the posts about Byetta, has put my mind at rest. Am new to here after googling Byetta yesterday, was prescribed it on Thursday by the consultant. Was quite nervous about the side affects and in particular how it would affect usual day to day life, work, etc. However have not experienced any severe nausea yet, this is my second, so fingers crossed.

Am still taking metformin SR 2,000mg per day, along with pioglitizone and Gliclizide and have suffered severe weight gain since starting the gliclizide last year (wasn't warned about this) and undid all my hard work having lost 5 stone, now have put on more than I lost :( . So am hopeful that the Byetta will help with weight loss also, as I know that most of my problems with the Diabetes stem from my weight (and poor genes as both my parents and brother are now type 2 also)

Will keep posting to let you all know how I get on, am off on holiday in 5 weeks so hope the nausea doesn't kick in as it would be good to start the increased dose before I go.

Happy Halloween to everyone :D