Tough Mudder??

NannyPoppins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi...

I dont tend to write much on this forum but thought I would try tonight... I wondered if anyone has done a Tough mudder or Dirty Dozen Race?

How did you manage your diabetes during the event? I'm taking on my first one in April but I'm scared I will drop low or go to high with out much warning.

Any advise or tips... ??

Thanks

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Have you considered a CGM ... you could literally just use it for the duration of one sensor, either for the race, or even in your training in the lead up. If you've not used them before, or are in anyway unaware of the information they give you, I think you will find the information it will give you in either scenario will be astounding. Since getting mine, I have found that when playing sport, and I have in the past felt/assumed my blood sugars have been dropping, I have now seen on some occasions they are rising.

Reactions: 4 people

NannyPoppins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I'm not sure what a CGM is... I've just started this training (3/4weeks now) but I'm not getting a pattern at all with my blood sugar levels. I've told my diabetic team what im doing but... sorry to say it... not much help from them in terms of advise.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Sorry I'm not sure what a CGM is... I've just started this training (3/4weeks now) but I'm not getting a pattern at all with my blood sugar levels. I've told my diabetic team what im doing but... sorry to say it... not much help from them in terms of advise.
CGM is continuous Glucose monitoring, and is life changing, or it has been for me. there are a couple of options, and varying costs, but the documented costs are inflated, and it can be done cheaper, but the benefit in short is you get a 24/7 view of your blood sugars, every 5 minutes. Do a search on here for libre or dexcom. I use the dexcom g4 and wish I could go back 30 years and start using it then!

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I looked at doing a tough mudder but was on a pump at the time and didn't dare risk it.

A CGM is a sensor in your arm that gives readings to a monitor that will alert you if readings start to go out of range.

I looked at this too and thought-no way would a monitor survive a tough mudder race.

It would probably be worth phoning the Company and ask more details ie could some one go along the course with you but carrying a monitor and food/drink etc.... That was what I was planning to do.

Unfortunately my health took a turn for the worst so its going to be quite some time before I can consider this again.

I wish you every luck though, I am really envious of you!!

NannyPoppins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just spoke with my diabetic nurse... they only offer things if you genuinely ask for them. They have never suggested this CGM even though I have spoke with them several times about my levels and exercise bla bla bla.

Frustrating!!

Anyway... thank you. I think I will try this out. It's a 7 day CGM only but it may help to see what's what.

NannyPoppins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is my first event... ever... my partner does them so I thought I would try this 12k Dirty Dozen in April. I'm not on a pump, so I've been told to reduce insulin before hand... that's it. No other advise, help, tips etc... I'm learning as I go.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @NannyPoppins I know quite a few people who have done a tough mudder and it lives up to both those terms, they were soaked to skin in mud - everywhere! so don't know how well a monitor would survive.

There are a few website regarding athletes and diabetes - don't know if they would be helpful?

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/18/2/102.full

http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/t/any-type-1-tough-mudders-or-spartan-racers/10584

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2140081/

http://robbwolf.com/2011/11/18/sean-paleo-type-1-diabetes-endurance/

http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safe...e/supporting-student-athletes-type-1-diabetes

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/diabetic-athlete

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Just spoke with my diabetic nurse... they only offer things if you genuinely ask for them. They have never suggested this CGM even though I have spoke with them several times about my levels and exercise bla bla bla.

Frustrating!!

Anyway... thank you. I think I will try this out. It's a 7 day CGM only but it may help to see what's what.
I don't know what the policy is for different hospitals/clinics when they offer the trials, but just make sure you are not given a "blind" trial. This is a setting that can be enabled to prevent the user (yourself) from seeing the data until you return to the clinic. The clear benefit for this is for you to see the live data, and there would clearly be no benefit for it to be hidden from you during the usage, so just double check.
When I saw the poster in the clinic for CGM, and asked my DSN about it she said she knew nothing except that they'd been given 2 for samples, had given them out to the 1st two people that had asked, and then returned to the company as soon as they had used all the free sensors! I have now moved clinics, self funded a CGM, and start on a pump in <3 weeks. The 2 clinics are less than 10 miles apart, but their opinions and attitudes are in different worlds.
Good luck with the CGM, and the competition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is my first event... ever... my partner does them so I thought I would try this 12k Dirty Dozen in April. I'm not on a pump, so I've been told to reduce insulin before hand... that's it. No other advise, help, tips etc... I'm learning as I go.

Have you taken a look at www.teambloodglucose.com?
You might want to consider joining the Sporty Type 1's Facebook group and posting the question there too. I've seen people talking about Tough Mudder there before. Also, for advice on everything and anything (including the tech you're talking about), there will be plenty of opportunity to ask people at this year's Diabetes Conference on the 26th 27th Feb in Nottingham if you can make it. Abbott are going to have a presence (Libre) and TeamBG (who organise the event) have a wealth of experience with the Dexcom G4. www.peoplewithdiabetesconference.com

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Do pumps not allow you to do things like this?

They may not be robust enough....depends on what the muddy trail etc involves as they all vary... Mine was going to be going under rope nets through mud as well as leaping walls into water...... You have to get insurance for pumps and it wouldn't have been covered by the insurance and at £3000 I couldn't risk it.

Like you I'm on MDI again now. There will be ways to do it....

NannyPoppins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been told to just monitor during training and keep gels on me during event... I no doubt will over compensate and have high bloods at the end.

The Dirty Dozen is like a mini Tough Mudder so it will have the muddy ditches and sheep dip water obstacles, plus the 12ft walls to hop... and alot more.

Kinda wondering if I should moan at my partner for signing me up now ;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've been told to just monitor during training and keep gels on me during event... I no doubt will over compensate and have high bloods at the end.

The Dirty Dozen is like a mini Tough Mudder so it will have the muddy ditches and sheep dip water obstacles, plus the 12ft walls to hop... and alot more.

Kinda wondering if I should moan at my partner for signing me up now ;)

No, go for it... Let us know how you get on. It will be brilliant. Truly, I am so envious.

I would have had something with fat and protein in it an hour before I did it (but without a bolus... ) But that is individual to me...

Please do it and enjoy it!! I am so green with envy!!

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Hi...

I dont tend to write much on this forum but thought I would try tonight... I wondered if anyone has done a Tough mudder or Dirty Dozen Race?

How did you manage your diabetes during the event? I'm taking on my first one in April but I'm scared I will drop low or go to high with out much warning.

Any advise or tips... ??

Thanks

Go for it... I did it about 2 years ago and would definitely do another... I must stress I did this before being diagnosed with diabetes.

I was supposed to run my first 100km ultra marathon this year in April but when diagnosed last year I lost interest in everything. I finally got my head straight at Christmas and now I'm back training and I am running it now in 2017! I thought why should it stop me...

I started monitoring my BG whilst training, and recorded my info... I built trends I've only been back training now for 5 solid weeks but my plan is pretty hefty I'm running around 80-100km spread over the 7 days...

For me (everyone's different) I drop approx 1 mmol per km but this can depend on several factors,

insulin taken before and how long before

Food eaten before

Time of day

Intensity of training

BG Reading before setting off...

I have established that raising my BG to between 7-9mmol I can sustain long runs >15km with little issues, I carry a running best always even on 4km run including water, gels and a small hypo kit... And my meter of course...

I "attempt" to monitor my BG and as in the first few KM it begins to drop "top up" jelly babies are good as its 5g carbs per sweet so can be simple maths whilst running...

By monitoring like this I can finish my runs with small adjustments made on route with my BG in normal range for me I like 5-6.4

I continue to monitor my levels after for a couple of hours too as I've found this can also be a issue of continuing to drop...

The reason for me raising my BG at the start is that I notice a sharp drop at the start of cardio... But then I can level this out and maintain it during the run...

I don't use CGM or a pump. For work reasons only. I use the accu-check mobile can be a little off sometimes but no strips makes it easy on the move...

Try the website www.runsweet.com

Some great advice on there... They cover everything from rowing to ultra marathons

Sorry for waffling on... Hope it helps

And good luck... Diabetes shouldn't stop you doing anything it did me for several months last year but never again!!!

Reactions: 6 people

Tony_B

Hi...

Any advise or tips... ??

Thanks
Hi NannyPoppins
I'm running a Wolf Run this coming Saturday (13th of April) and I was really interested in what you wrote. Your post is from 3 years ago so I am really hoping you are still a member. Could you please tell me how you got on. I am type one diabetic and whilst some friends have suggested I carry my testing kit in a waterproof bag I really don't want to take the chance, as it might get damaged, and then I'm really in trouble.
I was going to take a reading before the race and then right at the end. I also thought about taking these Gel's that people are talking about and even some Jelly Babies as people seem to swear by these nowadays.
But I'm really interested to hear how you got on and if you were to do it again what would you change.
Thanks
Tony