Carb or Not To Carb?

RAH79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

I have been a Type 1 Diabetic for 26 years and I have been on a low carb / low calorie diet for the previous 4 years. I recently went to see my DSN as I've been having major fluctuations in BG. Having lows then highs, they suggested that I had a ssensor and today they contacted me to say they are at a loss to the cause of the fluctuations as they are all over the place. I feel really unwell, lack of energy, and even more worrying I'm now having chest pain and breathlessness when I'm either low or high. DSN said could be start of DKA and to test ketones which was 0.2 so still within safe range, but she suggested that due to the low carb it is expected that I would have some ketones in blood and if this has been overtime then this may be reason for Chest pain? Has anyone else experienced this?

She has suggested that I need to start eating more carbs again as she thinks I'm having rebound highs because I am not replenishing glycogen.

I am not on pump, I average around 30 - 50g carbs per day. I do use sweeteners i.e. stevia in coffee and low carb desserts so could this be causing chest pains and / or breathing problems? Does stevia cause sugar spikes? The research I've done on sweeteners is misleading for instance one states;

"Sugar substitutes don't affect your blood sugar level. In fact, most artificial sweeteners are considered "free foods" — foods containing less than 20 calories and 5 grams or less of carbohydrates — because they don't count as calories or carbohydrates on a diabetes exchange....Also, be cautious with sugar alcohols — including mannitol, sorbitol and xylitol. Sugar alcohols can increase your blood sugar level. And for some people, sugar alcohols may cause diarrhea." (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...rt-answers/artificial-sweeteners/faq-20058038)

"The work, done with mice and humans, suggests that artificial sweeteners could raise your blood sugar levels more than if you indulged in sugar-sweetened sodas and desserts." (http://www.webmd.com/diet/20140917/artificial-sweeteners-blood-sugar)

Also Truvia has been linked to dangerous toxic levels of certain chemicals and is also used as a pesticide, but when I checked the back of the product it clearly labelled that it was working in partnership with Diabetes.org.uk??

I just wanted to know what your opinions are as I am aware that the NHS seem to be against low carb diets, but there is alot of evidence on here to suggest that it might also help control the condition.....it's a mindfield to manage the condition best of times, but all this contradiction is so overwhelming, I just want to feel better in myself and thought a low carb diet was healthier, I'm exhausted and fed up with all of it! I'm trying really hard to keep my sugar levels at a constant level but I seem to be making things worse the more I try...Please help anyone? I just don't know what to do.....

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stevia just like most artificial sweeteners does absolutely nothing to my blood sugar and most peoples'. With that said, there are daily limit suggestions for each type of sweetener. The average person doesn't come anywhere close to those amounts.

Sugar alcohols ABSOLUTELY give me stomach discomfort. I'd ditch any of the "diabetic chocolate" or other similar nonsense that does nothing other than mask someone's lack of control. It's just not necessary and not worth the after effects.

Chest pain could be a lot of things and it's not something to take lightly. It could be as simple as acid reflux or something more serious. Don't take any chances.

Some people take a while to adapt to a ketogenic diet and some people simply don't do well on it at all. If you've been on this diet for four years that's very unusual that you're just now beginning to have these issues. I'd go back to the doctor and sort them out.

RAH79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks TorqPenderloin

Yea I will get it checked out, I just didn't want to make a fuss if it's something others have experienced too. I don;t suffer with acid reflux or indigestion problems, the only link I can find on why it has become a problem recently is because of the change in BGs in an attempt to lower my HbA1c (currently 57), the DSN told me that I should be on 90% basal and 10% bolus (never heard of this ratio before) normal diets should be around 50% / 50%. I worked out that I was previously the other way i.e. 90% bolus and 10% basal, so since I've changed it around (over a few weeks) I've felt unwell and been experiencing these symptoms.

RAH79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I thought I would give an update as I have discovered something very interesting over the last couple of days in reference to sweeteners.

I went to see my GP yesterday because of the chest pain / tightness and shortness of breath (SOB). The SOB gets especially worse when hypo. I went low at my GP surgery yesterday and the GP could see I was struggling to talk. She got me to do a peak flow and I couldn't get it over 300 (not sure units), is this normal? Anyway, she thinks it could be asthma induced by hypoglyceamia, I challenged this because I thought you had to have a wheeze or cough, but apparently that's not the case and from what she witnessed it might be worth giving an inhaler a try when I get breathing difficulties to see if it helps. So I went home and did some research to see if there are any links.

Apparently, when someone has an asthma attack, their BG drops causing hypo, but an asthma attack is usually only brought on by a trigger i.e dust or an allergy. Then I found this article (http://www.md-health.com/Aspartame-Poisoning.html) and many others which state ;

Symptoms of Aspartame Poisoning
1. Physical Symptoms
The effects of aspartame are far reaching and negatively impact many organ systems and structures, causing a diminished level of functioning....
  • Chest Symptoms. Breathlessness, elevated blood pressure and skipped or racing heartbeat are all symptoms of aspartame toxicity.
  • Skin and Allergies. Hives and intense itching, lip or mouth swelling and worsening of asthma all can occur due to aspartame
The thing is, for someone who is a diabetic on a low carb diet using alot of no added / sugar free products, aspartame has recently become a big part of my diet, and I was shocked to find out how many products contain aspartame, i.e. Sugar free jellies (which I have lots when I get sweet cravings), Sugar free squash, Sugar free desserts, and loads more.

I may be clutching at straws but no one else (including DSN has been able to understand the cause for my fluctuating BGs, and chest problems) from process of elimination, this appears to be a strong culprit. Problem is there is little research into because being a cynic and given how many products contain this sweetener, I'm sure food manufacturers are going to play a part in what research is allowed to be released at the right price!

I just thought I'd let you all know, as from my experience, if it is sweeteners then they are very dangerous and could be the reason why I have been having significant impact on my health and more importantly fluctuations in BGs over the last couple of years!

Last edited by a moderator: