Fasting

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,nosher8355, could you perhaps up your exercise, i do 10 miles am and pm on my exercise bike,plus weight lifting in moderation.clive

I only do walking, and I do a lot in work, miles, literally!
I only fast on non working days because of that much. I can't run because my knees only hurt when I do. I know I do enough exercise through the week as I have sought advice for it to see if I needed to do more.
I think that because of my lifestyle, my stomach just won't do two quick meals, because I usually eat a small meal then a small piece of fruit till next meal.
Having only three small meals in a day is something I haven't done in quite a long time. Because I don't have cravings and am not hungry at anytime, I think that because of trying to cram a usual days food into a small time is too much for me.
Thanks for your suggestions! I think it will do me good in the long run.
But I'm only just learning how to do intermittent fasting!
If I didn't have to eat I would be happy!

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Nosher
When fasting and in ketosis does your b.g. bounce along the bottom or can it be upped due to fat conversion? I read somewhere that converted fat does not contributed to raised Hba1c, is this true? Thanks
Derek

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Nosher
When fasting and in ketosis does your b.g. bounce along the bottom or can it be upped due to fat conversion? I read somewhere that converted fat does not contributed to raised Hba1c, is this true? Thanks
Derek
I think that's one for @Brunneria.

However, having read a similar article, I would say it is true, when I flat line most of the time, I don't see my bloods change that much, as long as it's not more than a variance of a little. I'm not too worried, sometimes it just does raise a little more, but I'm not that fastidious and there is everything else to consider, like how much exercise, how stressed, a cold etc. If you can plod along around normal levels, you should be ok.
I think if I read it right, being in and just out ketosis is the body's normal reaction to a very low carb diet due to the fat conversion thingimybob!

I'm probably talking absolutely b.......!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You rang? :D

I can only speak for myself, but a few things happen when I am in ketosis:
- my lowest readings rise from the 4s to the low 5s (physiological insulin resistance, if you want to google it)
- fat seems to have very little impact on my bg except that it slows down the absorption of carbs and protein, giving me a longer, lower rise than if I were eating low fat
- since I eat very few carbs, the peak I get after meals tends to be from the break down of protein (gluconeogenesis), this tends to rise gently for about 2.5 hours and then drop gently for another 2.5 hours (going by my Freestyle Libre readings). MAximum rise is usually about 2mmol/l
- If I do eat carbs, then I see a RH reaction that drives my lowest readings down into the 4s, but I don't see that as a good thing!
- in the 17 odd hours of fasting that I do (from 8pm to about 1pm the next day) I just have coffee with cream, or maybe a coconut yog (no carbs and v little protein), my bg just sort of scoots along between 5.0 and 6.3.
- 2 squares 70% choc will blip me about 1 mmol/l for less than an hour.
- if I water fast, my bg is far more unstable
- my bg almost always drops to the high 4s at 2am, and then does gentle hops in the 5-6 range, all night until the alarm at 7am.

All of this info is from having the Libre. Without it, I would still be guesstimating that I peak before 2 hours, that my dawn phenomenon starts at 4am, and that my RH is a thing of the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is a screen shot of my bg, on a no-carb day.

It shows a wiggling night, with a wiggling morning (coffeencream only, but a bit of activity, so maybe a teensy liver dump to deal with that)

Mid afternoon, I was hungry, and had a single biscuit, because I was feeling wobbly. Then the hump starting early evening was low carb moussake, I think, no pud.

Mafat

Brunerria-

Wondering about your First reading in the morning i.e.Fasting Blood Sugar. I have failed to bring bring my FBS numbers down despite fasting +LCHF +HIIT.

Mafat

intelligenteating

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Close minded people.
There's been very positive results from clinical fasting out of the TrueNorth health center in Santa Rosa, CA.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunerria-

Wondering about your First reading in the morning i.e.Fasting Blood Sugar. I have failed to bring bring my FBS numbers down despite fasting +LCHF +HIIT.

Mafat

Dawn phenomenon is a hormone thing. If you read up on it, it usually starts about 3-4 am, i believe.

I don't seen to get that. I seem to get a stress hormone burst as i wake up. So i have stopped calling it dawn phenomenon (though i haven't a clue what it should be called. :) )

I found that the best thing to stop it rising is to have a small piece of cheese or a brazil nut, as soon as i wake up. For me, that works, but i don't know if it will work for you...