Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Am a bit put off by reading about the smell it gives off when opening ;)

Yes, it did have a funny smell when I first opened the packet but it went completely when I rinsed it under cold running water and there was absolutely no taste at all when I ate it.

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Am a bit put off by reading about the smell it gives off when opening ;)

Yes, it did have a funny smell when I first opened the packet but it went completely when I rinsed it under cold running water and there was absolutely no taste at all when I ate it.

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I paid £3.45 on eBay (inc. p&p) for mine and it arrived two days later. Just make sure you don't get one from Hong Kong like my best friend did - its a month on and it still hasn't arrived!
Oh dear thats not good! I will certainly avoid Hong Kong sellers. Thanks Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I didn't know it was possible to get low carb lasagne sheets. There's a Jack Fultons in the next village so I will try to find some.
All this time for lasagne sheets I've been using a concoction I made up with cooked cauliflower whizzed to a puree mixed with almond flour, garlic powder, oregano, salt and enough egg to hold it together then rolled through a pasta roller. Not too bad if the sauce has a strong enough flavour but has a tendancy to crack and collapse if you don't get the consistency right. Absolutely no good for cannelloni at all.

Reactions: 4 people

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
@Chook To be fair your recipe sound more appetising, I only tend to blend these in a nutribullet to bulk soup dishes.
I do occasionally make an aubergine lasagna when I get time.

I know the brands website doesn't list the lasagna sheets, but Our local Fultons has been stocking them since before Xmas.

intelligenteating

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Close minded people.
I'm happy to supply you 'low carb rice', organic, non gmo, with added proteins, phytochemicals and micronutrients for just £9.99 + p&p.

I'm guessing this thread is a wind up

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@intelligenteating Nope - not a wind up. Low carbs rice and noodles are available in Holland and Barrett, Morrison's and a few other places. As for home made fakes, cauliflower rice or couscous has been around for a while and people are always experimenting to make dishes that are like lasagna or pizza from low carbs ingredients.

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
Blue rice - reminds me of that scene in Bridget Jones where she inadvertently dyed the spaghetti!

It was celery soup that she dyed by tying it in bundles with string that lost its colour when it was cooking!! Mmmm lovely blue celery soup.......hifg in carbs

intelligenteating

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Close minded people.
@intelligenteating Nope - not a wind up. Low carbs rice and noodles are available in Holland and Barrett, Morrison's and a few other places. As for home made fakes, cauliflower rice or couscous has been around for a while and people are always experimenting to make dishes that are like lasagna or pizza from low carbs ingredients.

Well, i guess if there's a market, there'll be a product....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm happy to supply you 'low carb rice', organic, non gmo, with added proteins, phytochemicals and micronutrients for just £9.99 + p&p.

I'm guessing this thread is a wind up

If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@mandy_horsley - oh yes, so it was! I think I'm misremembering the string as strands of spaghetti!

Have now got the urge for a Bridget Jones bingewatch - that's my weekend planned!

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@mandy_horsley - oh yes, so it was! I think I'm misremembering the string as strands of spaghetti!

Have now got the urge for a Bridget Jones bingewatch - that's my weekend planned!

Excellent idea!!!

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry to sound negative but the smell together with the texture and appearance almost made me heave....and I'm not a wimpy person....normally!!!

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Cauliflower rice for me everytime... May try some of the above mentioned though as an alternative thanks

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, has anyone tried slicing courgette for the 'pasta' in a lasagne? I did enjoy the courgetti in a pesto sauce.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, has anyone tried slicing courgette for the 'pasta' in a lasagne? I did enjoy the courgetti in a pesto sauce.
Haven't tried that, but regularly use eggplant (aubergine) sliced as the pasta substitute. Works well for me bgl wise, and the family prefer it to regular lasagne. Would think courgette works, but maybe it will be too soft and watery. same prob as cucumber (which is v. LC) We use Quorn mince in our pasta dishes now.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Yep... Done that and it is superb.

I sliced courgette
and put it on a grill but in the oven and cooked it for 20 mins.. Then take out and layer between kitchen towel to soak up some of the moisture.... Then just layer as you would in a normal lasagne.

It is absolutely brilliant...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yep... Done that and it is superb.

I sliced courgette
and put it on a grill but in the oven and cooked it for 20 mins.. Then take out and layer between kitchen towel to soak up some of the moisture.... Then just layer as you would in a normal lasagne.

It is absolutely brilliant...
Yes, I do exactly the same. Also same again with aubergine.

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a different make, too. I got it on a special offer (Groupon I think) a while ago and it works out less than £1 a pack - there was the rice, noodles and spaghetti. I agree that the smell on opening is absolutely disgusting! BUT, if you really rinse it well the smell disappears. The stuff doesn't taste of anything (I think it is made from some sort of vegetable protein) so you need something with a tasty sauce. I have used the rice with curries and sweet and sour, the spaghetti with Bolognaise and the noodles with chicken and spicy Chinese type sauce - all with some success. I will probably get more when this lot runs out as it does fill you up, virtually calorie and carb free! :)