Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Day 4 starts with me feeling pretty **** if I'm honest .. Yes TorqPenderloin I know what you're thinking lol.
I feel like **** because my knees really sore , my hips are sore and my shoulder is sore and I have to go to work . FBS 6.1 today .
Lunch today will be roast peppers etc and chicken and tea is chicken salad..

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Oh had porridge and berries for for breakfast yummy

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Go Jamrox, Go Jamrox - you can do it!!!!!

I've got a pair of dodgy knees (and a painful back) so I'm cheering you on and empathizing Go girl. :) :) :)

Reactions: 5 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes TorqPenderloin I know what you're thinking lol.
I want you to know that I don't make these comments just so I can say "haha, I told you so." The whole point of all of this is to help you be successful.

Also, as I mentioned previously, I'm not a big fan of MASSIVE calorie restrictions. If you're not able to be active, 800 calories goes a lot further in the day than it does for someone like me (I need anywhere from 2800-3500 calories each day).

It sounds like what you're doing is working and in your case, I don't see any reason to up the daily calories. If you're able to get active again you may find you need to up the calories, but perhaps it's best to cross that bridge when you get to it.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want you to know that I don't make these comments just so I can say "haha, I told you so." The whole point of all of this is to help you be successful.

Also, as I mentioned previously, I'm not a big fan of MASSIVE calorie restrictions. If you're not able to be active, 800 calories goes a lot further in the day than it does for someone like me (I need anywhere from 2800-3500 calories each day).

It sounds like what you're doing is working and in your case, I don't see any reason to up the daily calories. If you're able to get active again you may find you need to up the calories, but perhaps it's best to cross that bridge when you get to it.
There's the thing ....'someone like me'. You are young and male. Weight loss is so much harder for an older female. It's not just about physics, biology comes into play too. You'll notice that even when Jamrox is active she only has 1200 calories.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I know why you've given me advice TorqPenderloin and I honestly value your opinion , until listening to Michael Mosely and reading his book I would have given exactly the advice that you have given me . I've got a sit down job . I suppose I'm frustrated because as Pipp and Zand will tell you , I am usually active .
EdMac I was low carbing and it was fab , until I hurt my knee and went to pot as they say .
I suppose , apart from the 35g (uncooked weight )porridge , I still am , myfitnesspal is recording under 75g /day so it's ok for me know that I've been in control for almost 3 years .
The porridge filled me up until 1:30pm , then I had a bit of chicken , peppers , courgette , tomatoes etc -- yummy.
I couldn't drink the meal replacements , I like to eat , it's more a case of a taste of the food I want and lots of salad or green veg . One thing for sure is that my iron levels will be good lol.
Tonight my family are having braised sausage & mash , I'm having 2 sausages , broccoli , carrots , cauliflower and sprouts , no hardship. to a woman who loves veg .

I even managed to dodge the birthday cake at work . I got a skinny bit , went into the kitchen and through most of it away , people didn't know and thought I ate it . Ohh that sounds like I've got an eating disorder doesn't it ? I don't , my workmates know I usually watch my carbs and go on about it " just have a bit " !!!! So if they think I've had a bit they don't go on.

Reactions: 6 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
*threw not through lol

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know why you've given me advice TorqPenderloin and I honestly value your opinion.
I appreciate that, and hopefully my last post made sense. What I was trying to say was that this diet actually makes a lot of sense for someone in your situation (which is obviously tremendously different from mine).

I think there is certainly some value in starting with a pre-built diet plan like this, but they seem to be most valuable as a "template" that you can use to customize a plan specifically for you.

Part of the reason I like "Low carb diets" so much is because the term and the diet aren't quantifiable. We each decide what "low" actually means and we each customize the approach to what specifically works for us as individuals.

I'm not saying you should stray from your current approach (which seems to be working), and I'm not necessarily promoting a low carb diet. I'm simply saying that you shouldn't be afraid to make this diet your own and customize it into something you know you can stick to.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
TorqPenderloin. I'm doing exactly that , you are right , it has to fit in with my life and tastes and I'm doing that . I love Greek yoghurt and berries , it's a mainstay for me, sometimes twice a day usually lol.
I also love veg and being lower carb usually makes it easier .

captainlynne

I started this on 19th December so am at the end of the 8 weeks this weekend. I'm T2 since 2009, diet controlled but threatened with Metformin - the kick I needed. Up to today I have lost 26 pounds. Fasting BG down from 10.9 to under 6 most days, with the occasional 6. BP down (hoping to come off those meds). BMI down from 40.9 to 36.2. I've lost one, nearly two, dress sizes and 9 inches from my waist. I've the support of my Diabetes Nurse, who is monitoring me monthly. I've lots more weight to lose, but this has given me a great start. I might continue on this, or move across to the 5:2 or a variation of that. This is one of the best things I have ever done. I feel so much better, more energy, thinking more clearly. 800 calories would not have been much food if I'd stayed with eating lots of bread etc, but it's amazing how much you can eat when it's lots of veg/salad with some protein.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Captainlynne Congratulations , great success. It is amazing how much you can eat isn't it . I'm not hungry .

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Day 5 done . Have lost 2lb since starting . To be honest that doesn't matter , I'm doing it so I don't spiral out of control while my knee hopefully mends .
Today I had Greek yoghurt and berries for breakfast , chicken salad about 2pm , lentil soup and an omelette for tea and a small portion on Greek yoghurt and berries about 8pm . My fitness pal said 850 calories so I won't complain about that .
I have arranged to go for a walk with my friend at lunchtime tomorrow , got to try .
One thing I've noticed today is that I am freezing , don't feel ill just really cold . I've even put a long sleeve PJ top on , usually I'm throwing the covers off lol.
Still not hungry though .

Reactions: 4 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I get the freezing cold thing sometimes in the afternoon when I am fasting. Weirdly a stick of celery sorts it out. I have no idea why but it works. :)

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I ll try that Chook , thanks for the tip.

FBS 5.6 yeah

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @Jamrox. You have inspired me to do something similar, and I am seeing BG improve too. Not had more than 5.8 fasting all week.
Thank you.

WillRoberts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to join in - thought I'd give my feedback on the 800 cal/day for 8 weeks experience....
I'm on day 20 and feeling great and not hungry.
I've lost 11 pounds and dropped my BG from 7.4 down to 6.9. My target is to get down to 6.0 and then as only a waymarker to even lower levels.
I only received the T2 diagnosis 3 weeks ago and my first response was "Well - I'm not having this."
As for metabolism and muscle loss, I haven't noticed any changes so far. I'm building a workshop in the garden at the moment and this has involved quite a lot of heavy work. I moved about 4 tons of hardcore 50 metres uphill yesterday and will do the same today. No loss of energy so far although predictably, I was a bit knackered by the end of the day.
I am impressed by the Michael Mosley book and am planning to look at the research directly as he does provide all the references to allow us to do so.
The biggest difference between this dieting approach and others I have tried over the years is that with this one, I genuinely rarely feel hungry. There are times when I go into the kitchen and start to think "I wonder what delights are in the fridge" but I think that this more about old habits rather than genuine hunger.
I am coming to the conclusion that my diagnosis was the best thing that could have happened for me as it has been the catalyst for action. I will definitely complete the 8 weeks and then consider what calorie level to go to from there. My current thinking is to go to 1000 for a few weeks.
What has amazed me most is the revelation that choosing low or no carb foods has the effect of stopping my craving for food. It just shows how high carb foods have an addictive effect.
BTW - the book acknowledge that 800 cals is not for everyone and suggests that for those who experience nasty side effects like reduced energy levels (low metabolism), the alternative 5-2 might be a better option.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to join in - thought I'd give my feedback on the 800 cal/day for 8 weeks experience....
I'm on day 20 and feeling great and not hungry.
I've lost 11 pounds and dropped my BG from 7.4 down to 6.9. My target is to get down to 6.0 and then as only a waymarker to even lower levels.
I only received the T2 diagnosis 3 weeks ago and my first response was "Well - I'm not having this."
As for metabolism and muscle loss, I haven't noticed any changes so far. I'm building a workshop in the garden at the moment and this has involved quite a lot of heavy work. I moved about 4 tons of hardcore 50 metres uphill yesterday and will do the same today. No loss of energy so far although predictably, I was a bit knackered by the end of the day.
I am impressed by the Michael Mosley book and am planning to look at the research directly as he does provide all the references to allow us to do so.
The biggest difference between this dieting approach and others I have tried over the years is that with this one, I genuinely rarely feel hungry. There are times when I go into the kitchen and start to think "I wonder what delights are in the fridge" but I think that this more about old habits rather than genuine hunger.
I am coming to the conclusion that my diagnosis was the best thing that could have happened for me as it has been the catalyst for action. I will definitely complete the 8 weeks and then consider what calorie level to go to from there. My current thinking is to go to 1000 for a few weeks.
What has amazed me most is the revelation that choosing low or no carb foods has the effect of stopping my craving for food. It just shows how high carb foods have an addictive effect.
BTW - the book acknowledge that 800 cals is not for everyone and suggests that for those who experience nasty side effects like reduced energy levels (low metabolism), the alternative 5-2 might be a better option.

Good attitude, @WillRoberts
Welcome to forum, too.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Well done @Jamrox. You have inspired me to do something similar, and I am seeing BG improve too. Not had more than 5.8 fasting all week.
Thank you.

Hey Mrs Pipp the inspiration comes both ways .

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
WillRoberts that was my reaction too.
With the help of everyone on the DCUK I control my bs mainly by lower carb and being active

Being diagnosed was a good thing for me too. I went from 13stone to just under 11 and my muscle mass improved . That's why when I heard Michael M I was inspired , I had been a bit off track and now I'm on it like a car bonnet lol.
Just wish my knee was better.

Carbs are very addictive , especially sugary ones.

Have to say that my only side effect this week is I am freezing , sitting here in my kitchen with a cardi on , my family are laughing because I usually tell them to turn the heating down lol.

I might go over my limit a bit tonight because we are having chilli and nachos !!!!
And dare I say a little bit of rice . It's a once a week treat .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jamrox
Apologis if you told us this earlier, but what has happened to your knee? And how long till it will be better?