Well, here goes!

White beans sorry too much for me!
Salmon. No
Sardines. No
Figs. Too much fructose!
Bok Choy. No
Molasses. It's pure sugar, ain't it?
Kale. No
Black eyed peas, No, thought they were a decent pop group!
Almonds. Now and then!
Oranges. A couple of pieces a day
Turnip greens. No
Sesame seeds. Only on buns, but can't eat buns no more!
Seaweed. No
Oatmeal. What the.........!!!!!!
Orange juice. Now, someone is taking the p......!!!!
Soya milk. Yuk!
Tofu. What's that?
Cheerios. No comment!

So the question must be, is there some others, where I get my calcium from?

Also states that I need other vitamins but at my last lot of tests, I was told everything vitamin wise was in balance, just my hormones!!!

Hope I'm not derailing the thread!

Reactions: 2 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So the question must be, is there some others, where I get my calcium from?

You don't like sardines? And not almonds that much? Hmmm. Then it's from greens. And you can take a few pieces of orange quite a lot. And broccoli? How do you like that? It's a very good source of calcium...

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You don't like sardines? And not almonds that much? Hmmm. Then it's from greens. And you can take a few pieces of orange quite a lot. And broccoli? How do you like that? It's a very good source of calcium...

Just can't eat cooked greens! Never have done, yuk!

Can't stand spinach cooked but love it as part of a baby leaf salad.
Eats lots of lettuce and salad veg. Maybe that's where I get it from!

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 6 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Eats lots of lettuce and salad veg. Maybe that's where I get it from!

I reckon!

One of the food/health comments I really like about Dr Fuhrman, that I quote often over my family dining table, is that you can get a lot of your nutritional needs met by having one large bowl of salad a day (or greens if salad isn't your thing). It's nice and easy to keep in mind, and on the table, I think.

Going non dairy (for a month at least) I have to remember how everywhere and in everything cheese is, especially when dining out. And I guess - milk! That may turn out to be the hardest thing to keep an eye out for (and will mean lots of asking about ingredients - even more than just the usual hidden sugars thing!)

I'm in summer, so that makes eating meat/fish/chicken and a big bowl of salad pretty easy, thank goodness.

But I find I am missing cheese more than the cream...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Be wary of those hidden extras, they don't tell you about. Wish it was summer here, just had a hale shower, with a biting cold wind!
Brrrrrr!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yeah - I'm slowly dragging my vitamin D levels up after only 1 and 1/2 months of summer sun over two years! (The bad side of hemisphere-hopping if you get on the wrong side of the seasons, winter-wise.)

Finding myself craving cheese. I almost grabbed a piece of Mr Svea's this morning without thinking. But yesterday made a great discovery when buying some kale chips in a health food store (I have tried making my own and they were disgusting - these ones were most palatable). Fermented cashews taste very similar to a good parmesan! I had no idea. (The kale chips were seasoned with rosemary, salt, and fermented cashew powder - yum!)

Good readings if anyone is interested, on the subject of dairy - my favourite is the older paleo jock Mark's daily apple entries:

*Dairy and its effect on insulin secretion
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-insulin/

and

*The definitive guide to dairy
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-intolerance/#axzz3z41WfuKQ

This other one below has more emotive language, but the stuff about the morphine like substance in casein (dairy) which is what makes it addictive, IS interesting! I don't have such a negative attitude to feel-good substances, but I am also a carnivore! (The writers are vegan.) But it is interesting nonetheless, especially when craving cheese, when one is going dairy-free for a month.

*Casein: the disturbing connection between this dairy protein and your health
http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/casein-dairy-protein-and-your-health/

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good readings if anyone is interested, on the subject of dairy - my favourite is the older paleo jock Mark's daily apple entries:

*Dairy and its effect on insulin secretion
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-insulin/

Thanks for this link, which I have just finished reading. I had no idea dairy was this bad - it probably helps to explain why my blood glucose levels went up when I was in France for a month, gorging on the glorious cheese ( I ate and drank other bad stuff too but never thought about the cheese).

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey,

Sorry for being so quiet during the start of the dairy fast. I was travelling and super busy! During January I had already swapped my morning yoghurt with coconut yoghurt and appear to feel better. At the same time I cut out the milk in my tea, and just bought macadamia milk as alternative. Let me see how this is like...

I was travelling and had some special occasions, and was not able to fully avoid cheese, and once milk in my coffee. However, I have managed to have some nice non-dairy breakfasts: scrambled eggs with a bit of meat and lots of vegs, fried in lard, for example, or my low-carb porridge with coconut milk. I just had a good fat-bomb dessert, a 'bountiful' slice from Sarah Wilson's Simplicious cooking book, which is delicious without sweetener. On my way home I stopped at an organic shop and bought nutritional yeast. ****, it has some carbs, but in small portions this can hopefully nicely replace parmesan in some meals.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Greetings @Munkki! Understood about life and being busy. Great to see you. Yes - travelling and eating out can certainly make being non-dairy challenging - I have found the same thing.

Back in my own kitchen I find myself going to the ol' standby - blueberries and nuts - more than when I had cheese often as a snack. Upping my meat/fish, and salad, consumption. Lots of curried sauerkraut (the sauerkraut I bought just happens to be a curried one - super yum), and olives, and another standby - double concentrate tomato paste in small amounts as a key easy condiment.

I had no idea I used cheese for flavour so much! (OK - I did!). Missing the creamier dairy now in the second week. But getting used to eating berries on their own. I actually opened the sour cream container and had a look at it last night. Smelt it! Imagined a baked potato and sour cream, especially when family members talked about using it up in that fashion so I wouldn't keep longing for it. (I'm starting to really believe there may be a morphine like substance in dairy!). Imagining fresh pasta with sour cream topped with parmesan. (I think I need to eat some breakfast.) (And of course as a diabetic treating with diet - no potato or pasta!)

But, can't see any real difference in my BG levels. Fasting levels look - well - the same!

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings @Munkki! Understood about life and being busy. Great to see you. Yes - travelling and eating out can certainly make being non-dairy challenging - I have found the same thing.

Back in my own kitchen I find myself going to the ol' standby - blueberries and nuts - more than when I had cheese often as a snack. Upping my meat/fish, and salad, consumption. Lots of curried sauerkraut (the sauerkraut I bought just happens to be a curried one - super yum), and olives, and another standby - double concentrate tomato paste in small amounts as a key easy condiment.

I had no idea I used cheese for flavour so much! (OK - I did!). Missing the creamier dairy now in the second week. But getting used to eating berries on their own. I actually opened the sour cream container and had a look at it last night. Smelt it! Imagined a baked potato and sour cream, especially when family members talked about using it up in that fashion so I wouldn't keep longing for it. (I'm starting to really believe there may be a morphine like substance in dairy!). Imagining fresh pasta with sour cream topped with parmesan. (I think I need to eat some breakfast.) (And of course as a diabetic treating with diet - no potato or pasta!)

But, can't see any real difference in my BG levels. Fasting levels look - well - the same!

Hi @AloeSvea thanks for your reply :) What you eat sounds good to me. Where do you get the curried sauerkraut? I had sauerkraut, too, today, but the traditional version.Oh, and I understand your cravings! I can cope best when I am at home. Today my shopping was really primal. I do not think I bought anything with more than one ingredient, just fish, a pile of veggies and nuts. I have not yet tried the nutritional yeast, but I find some consolation with tahini. It makes a lovely, creamy condiment. How do you use the tomato paste? I have some, but have been ignoring it, because of the sugar content.

When I made the yoghurt-swap I noticed that my hunger reduced. My belly fat actually started to melt, which could explain lower readings. Yesterday morning I had too much coconut yoghurt and felt nauseous, so the appetite was gone until the afternoon :hungover:

Well done with the dairy fast. Let's hang in there :cool:

Petrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
paranoid about taking medications although sometimes it is unavoidable
Day 8 of dairy free month. I missed cream and butter for a couple of days only (breaking the habit?). this week I've felt a bit down but I cannot say that is due to missing dairy.

BS same as always (in the sixes and sevens). Perhaps it is too soon to notice weight loss.

What is very interesting are the posts here about dairy substitutes. I am definitely going to try some of the ideas because now there is a gap in my diet. All these dairy substitutes add nourishment and interest to what we eat. Some of them are delicious.

Reactions: 4 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Munkki - you are right about the carb content of tomato paste being high - 40g of carbs in a 200g tube. I do eat homemade red sauces with zoodles fairly regularly (at least once a week) - I just love red sauce so much. And the key has been in the moderation. Ditto using tomato paste as a condiment (in place of ketchup/tomato sauce). But again - my HBA1c is in the 40-44 range. Maybe to get it down into the healthier 30s range - I would have to sacrifice the fruit (which tomatoes are really - aren't they? Darn it.) But one thing at a time! And this time it's dairy.

Still finding the eating out to be a big challenge. The challenge is mostly in the chips! (Fries - whatever to call them.) I have to try much harder to keep my cottin' pickin' hands off them! And failing a couple of times, sitting around a table with family at some kind of cafe/takeaway joint. To do that - not grab a chip (I'd love to say 'a few' but I don't think 10 counts as a few!) - I would need a big bowl of salad or extra veges to munch on (or - cheese!). Extra fish or meat - but that is impossible when dining out of course. ie when dining out, and low-carbing - you realise just how high-carb the world is. And how much I eat dairy to fill up, outside of homemade main meals.

@Petrel - I know what you mean when you talk about there being a gap in your diet. Yeah - good substitutes go a long long way in the low-carb arena, and ditto in non-dairy, for sure.

As well as seeing if dairy affects your BS - you're going for weight loss? Will be interesting to see if going dairy-free works in that way for you. The LCHF folk believe it is the carbs that are the key to fat-storage/weight gain. That healthy fats are dealt with by the body in a different way - that if you are low-carbing, the body uses healthy fats very readily for energy, if my understanding of it is right. But nothing beats a good experiment! I reckon. Are you measuring your waist size? I prefer that, and working out my waist/height ratio, than the bmi. But I've been doing that so much over the last couple of years, measuring and weighing, since diagnosis now I really just need to look in the mirror! Darn it.

Well - non-dairy breakfast time again!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
10 days in on the non-dairy, I find I am eating a LOT more meat. And continue to go strong on non-dairy condiments - haven't got sick of the curry sauerkraut yet! And an olive oil and whole grain mustard dip I made for myself. Will get some avocado oil to make it creamier. As well as protein (half plate), I am eating a lot of salad (half plate each meal). (It's high summer where I am, so it's easy to do the salad and coleslaw thing.) I haven't been so true-blue Paleo in my diet for a good long while, so it will be interesting to see my blood lipid test at the beginning of March. But still - no impact on BGs. (Squarely in the 'Impaired Glucose Tolerance' or prediabetic range.).

@Munkki - here is pic of the sauerkraut. It's local! The 'Be Nourished' brand. (We do great commercial organic sauerkraut, lots of kinds, in Kiwiland, for some reason - I guess it's the great growing conditions weather wise, and some serious German immigrants too, along with the Brits, natch.) (yeah - and note the strong sun ray coming in from the left of screen there! No wonder my vitamin D level is getting better and better.)

Be Nourished sauerkraut curry flavoured.jpg

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm.... the sauerkraut looks good! I make my own, and I could probably add turmeric and nigella seeds.

Strangely, my BS is higher these days, but this could be due to stress. I have a lot to do at the moment. One of them is a Uni degree. It will soon be finished, and then I only have my main job left.

I have had some success with salads and meats. Yesterday I made delicious almond flour pancakes with bacon and fresh veggies. They were so good. Today I added anchovies to roasted vegs, and... eh... no, I cannot recommend doing this! Desserts are usually nuts, fat bombs or some creation using coconut yoghurt. I am not eating that much more meat, but I have to make sure carbs do not creep in too much instead.

All the best :)

intelligenteating

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Close minded people.
Great to read that people have ditched dairy, it's truly cruel and disgusting and the health benefits all appear great :)

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to reduce my dairy intake but I'm allergic to most nuts, and avocados. I have soya in my tea, but I eat a lot of cheeses. My BG stays within the 'normal' range nowadays, but I think I'd get really hungry, and bored without it! Reading one of the links suggests butter and cream aren't so bad?

intelligenteating

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Close minded people.
I'd like to reduce my dairy intake but I'm allergic to most nuts, and avocados. I have soya in my tea, but I eat a lot of cheeses. My BG stays within the 'normal' range nowadays, but I think I'd get really hungry, and bored without it!

Give it a go, I thought curry without meat would be as boring as a cat owner's dinner party but actually i found it's amazing! :)