Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
8.5. It's the first time I've had a reading over 8 so I'm upset.:(
I have no idea why it's so high. I have got a very sore throat and was awake with that several times in the night, I don't know if that would make a difference? I'm now in a quandry as to whether I should eat breakfast, or skip it and hope the figure drops quickly.

Reactions: 10 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Morning All

Somewhat better 5.9 today.
Sounds like that metformin tablet had weaned itself out of your system. I think it takes a few months. You were right to try thou. Try again in a few months? Xmas messes everyone up! :)

Reactions: 13 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I have no idea why it's so high. I have got a very sore throat and was awake with that several times in the night, I don't know if that would make a difference? I'm now in a quandry as to whether I should eat breakfast, or skip it and hope the figure drops quickly.
Being ill can make a difference. Personally I would always try to eat something at breakfast, but I eat very low carb anyway so I don't worry much about spiking.

Reactions: 18 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Any infection/illness is likely to raise your BG. I've had a sore throat for a few days, and my BG went up to 8.3 on first morning, though it's dropped since then. I hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: 17 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Tired and left with a nasty side affect from a few 8s. My nasties are driving me mad.
So mad I over compensated with insulin last night hence 3.5 at 2am.
I over compensated with cheap choc sauce which is 50% sugar so had 5am 9.6.
After a corrective jab I woke at 6.3.
Neither wonder I'm knackered! :-(

Reactions: 11 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got up and scraped the wife's car, then had a 5.6. Went back to bed for an hour and then got a 5.4.

Reactions: 20 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Morning All = 11/2/16.

6.8 at 8.45am - :(

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Another 6.8 this morning

Reactions: 26 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all 4.5 this morning going to chest clinic at guys this afternoon. Chest really grumpy it dosen't like the cold. Keep warm everyone

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any infection/illness is likely to raise your BG. I've had a sore throat for a few days, and my BG went up to 8.3 on first morning, though it's dropped since then. I hope you feel better soon.
Thank you. I don't feel ill apart from the sore throat, but it did wake me up a few times in the night so now I feel shattered! Luckily I'm working from home today so can hopefully lie down for 20 minutes in my lunch break!

Reactions: 11 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2:( No idea why.

It's because BG Meters are not particularly accurate, and different strips will give different results.

5.2 could easily be 4.2 or 6.2.

Definitely not worth getting hung up over slight differences.

5.2 is a non-diabetic reading and that is all that should matter.

Little pieces of cardboard that cost less than 25p each in a meter costing less than £20 will not be able to give you any result other than a rough estimate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 this morning. :D:D:D It could be a yo-yo week with bg. The baffling news is, in two weeks my accurate scales say I have put on 6lbs (3 kilos). I'm upset because I don't know how that has happened :arghh:. I'm not eating enough calories or carbs for this to happen. I've also been playing golf. I think I'll need to do a couple of fasting days in the next week or so :(. Have a good day all! :)

Reactions: 19 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
5.3 this morning. :D:D:D It could be a yo-yo week with bg. The baffling news is, in two weeks my accurate scales say I have put on 6lbs (3 kilos). I'm upset because I don't know how that has happened :arghh:. I'm not eating enough calories or carbs for this to happen. I've also been playing golf. I think I'll need to do a couple of fasting days in the next week or so :(. Have a good day all! :)
Hi Kim if you have increased your exercise don't forget muscle weighs more that fat. It could be that you have toned up a bit and that's contributed to your weight increase

Reactions: 9 people