weight loss

Hi I am a type one diabetic and would like to lose weight before an up coming wedding. What is the best way to do this as I find it hard to lose weight quickly. Thanks.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry, you're not alone. Most people find it hard to lose weight (even slowly). Remember, if it were that easy, we'd all be thin and have washboard abs.

Why don't you start out by telling us a bit about what currently isn't working for you?
What do your diet look like?
What kinds of exercise do you do and how often?
Do you have a target body weight and a time frame you need to reach it by?

Reactions: 2 people
Don't worry, you're not alone. Most people find it hard to lose weight (even slowly). Remember, if it were that easy, we'd all be thin and have washboard abs.

Why don't you start out by telling us a bit about what currently isn't working for you?
What do your diet look like?
What kinds of exercise do you do and how often?
Do you have a target body weight and a time frame you need to reach it by?

Hi, I've tried just cutting down on carbs, I work as an administrator so not to physical in my work. I'm 56 yrs young but 46 in my head .. lol .. I would like to lose about a stone in weight before June ..

StevieT666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm steve I'm 44 and i've been T1 since dec 2015 and since being diagnosed I've lost 2.5 stone! I have a manual job which keeps me very active throughout the day and I walk my dog on weekends when I'm home (I work away Mon - Fri) I have always been a fussy eater so changing my diet was pretty daunting. Breakfast is 4 weetabix then a snack of berries and nuts before bait. Bait is Porridge then again I snack on berries and nuts. Dinner is soup with seeded wholemeal bread then snack before tea. Tea I pretty much eat what I want but always carb count and counter with Novorapid. If I need a snack between tea and bed I don't have anything over 10-15g of carbs. I inject Lantus at 8pm every night. I think being active and watching your carb intake may help it works for me, I'm no expert at all but I hope this helps you achieve or try to achieve your goal. Good luck.x

Hi I'm steve I'm 44 and i've been T1 since dec 2015 and since being diagnosed I've lost 2.5 stone! I have a manual job which keeps me very active throughout the day and I walk my dog on weekends when I'm home (I work away Mon - Fri) I have always been a fussy eater so changing my diet was pretty daunting. Breakfast is 4 weetabix then a snack of berries and nuts before bait. Bait is Porridge then again I snack on berries and nuts. Dinner is soup with seeded wholemeal bread then snack before tea. Tea I pretty much eat what I want but always carb count and counter with Novorapid. If I need a snack between tea and bed I don't have anything over 10-15g of carbs. I inject Lantus at 8pm every night. I think being active and watching your carb intake may help it works for me, I'm no expert at all but I hope this helps you achieve or try to achieve your goal. Good luck.x
Thanks Steve. . Wow u have done well. I will continue thing the carbs, maybe I'm not doing enough. Must get serious about it as June will be here before I turn around ..lol .. any advise is welcome ..

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Steve. . Wow u have done well. I will continue thing the carbs, maybe I'm not doing enough. Must get serious about it as June will be here before I turn around ..lol .. any advise is welcome ..
Steve seems to have had some great results, and I'm not discounting them in any way. However, if your goal is to avoid carbohydrates, just about everything he mentioned is best to avoid. Us men are very lucky in that our daily calorie requirements are much higher than women. Consequently, it's much easier for us to lose weight.

Many people (men and women) have a lot of success on low-carb diets because it doesn't necessarily require you to reduce your total calorie intake. You may find that you can eat 1500 calories/day on a low-carb diet, but you'd need to eat 1000 on a balanced low-calorie diet to achieve the same fat loss results.

Exercise is also incredibly important and I'd argue even more important for women. Cardio like walking and jogging is good because it burns calories while you're doing them. Heavy weight lifting is even better (in my opinion) because it burns calories while you're doing it and long after you stop.

Either way, you can't outrun a bad diet and your diet is 90% of the weight loss equation.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi I am a type one diabetic and would like to lose weight before an up coming wedding. What is the best way to do this as I find it hard to lose weight quickly. Thanks.

Try reducing your portion size, don't snack and try and exercise a little more, that is what worked for me when I lost over 2 stone in weight.

In other words eat less calories than you burn but don't starve yourself, tbh it took me quite a long time to lose the weight as sometimes I was only losing 1-2lb a month, so if your in a hurry maybe look for an alternative method like Slimming World which seems to be a successful weight loss plan. Good luck.

Positivo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am about four stones lighter than when diagnosed, and about three of those stones have been shed in the past thirteen months. Pretty sure bet seems to have been have been a totally wheat free diet regime. (Book reference Wheat Belly)

Wheat free ain't easy - it is used in all kind of items. But in January 2015 I went down with a mysterious gut disorder. Many years ago I did a Chicago University course on meat hygiene and processing. There are some really sneaky, hard to find and fight bugs relating to meat and chicken.

Nothing showed up on tests, of all kinds, Endoscopy (don't ask - the theatre staff were lovely, and I even got a hug from an adorable young nurse) and CT scans. I told my GPs that I was attacking the condition with natural items. They had even tried a blood test to see if I had any lingering problems from my RAF service in Malaya.

But however horrid the condition, I did lose about three stone. It is NOT a solution I recommend. BMI is now where I can apply to join the Army if I lose just one more point. Daily Wail headline '1940s hero ready to defend his country'.

About as heroic as I got was having my life saved by a Gurkha patrol. The Gurkha Welfare Trust, the most honourable Charity I know, has given those legendary old warriors and their widows: Pensions; convalescent homes (anyone remember those here?), District Nurses (ours have been cut and cut), Doctors on scrambler motor cycles, mobile surgical clinics, eye hospitals, other clinics, sheltered accommodation and so much more. No expensive 'executives'; senior Army Officers count it an honour and a privilege to serve.

And my natural remedies. medicinal charcoal, REAL Vitamin C (not factory made ascorbic acid), pre and probiotic tablets. Don't bother with yoghurts - you get a lot more effect with concentrated tablets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I've gone from 15st down to 12st 6lbs since the end of November 2015, admittedly I cut out all starchy foods, so no bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, any type of root, etc konjac root products and only do green veg that is low carb, as a vegetarian I use Quorn a ir bit.

Despite the above I don't feel hungry as I use the higher fat content from butter, olive oil, coconut oil to cook with also hard cheeses and eggs now and then, make for a diet that I've been able to cope with very easily, my bmi is now 23.3 exercise has only been walking, once I decide that I've lost enough weight still a few lbs left I intend to sign up to a gym, I'm due to have surgery sometime soon so once I'm over that I can get a run at the the gym going, until then, it's a case of getting up and out early and walking a few miles.

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @ElaineGiffiths and welcome to the forum. I lost 1-1.5 lbs a week after diagnosis. It was the shock of the diagnosis that motivated me and I did adopt a fairly Spartan diet. I didn't eat during the day usually, just a mug of coffee with cream and sweetener in the morning, then tea during the day (usually Green Tea with fruit infusions). I drank a lot of water to feel fuller.
I would only eat a small meal in the evening, often just a (Burgen Soya & Linseed bread) sandwich or a LIDL High Protein roll with pate or terrine. And I walked around 20,000 steps a day (10miles) - about 2 hours walking.
I am retired so I did have the time to walk but you probably don't need to do so much.
I did sometimes feel hungry, but the fear of diabetic complications spurred me on, and after a while I got used to eating less.
I have reduced my weight from 12st 5lbs last September to about 10st now with a mainly Low Carbohydrate High Fat approach to eating.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your advice I think exercise is the answer ... lol .. defo don't do enough!

Elaine - in terms of not doing enough, just try parking further from the entrance/exit of the supermarket, office or wherever, and using the stairs, rather than the lift. I also Made a new personal rule, when diagnosed, not to jump in the car for anything closer than a mile, unless it is pouring with rain, 10ft of snow, or the like. It all adds up, and you'll be surprised the people who talk to you on a little stroll to the village shop, post office or wherever.

One things I would say is, that whilst doing more helps, for most people what goes into their mouths governs much more closely what the weighing scales say in the mornings. An in-vogue cardiologist is known for saying, "you can't put-run a poor diet".

I'm not suggesting your diet is poor. How could I possibly know, but more just throwing it out there for thought and discussion.

For me, when diagnosed T2, I lost weight and moderated my bloods very quickly by trimming my carbs. I have never taken any medication, so haven't had to do the insulin juggling trick.

Good luck with it all.