What Carbs do we all count

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I don't count leafy green stuff as I'd need to eat a bucketful to make any difference, so no count for courgettes, brocolli, cabbage, chicory, lettuce, cucumber, peppers etc. Olives, at soemthing like 3g carbs/100g - I'm not eating 100g of olives.

Tomatoes yes, peas/beans/lentils yes, roots yes, squashes yes - so that means that I'd count for coleslaw for example.

Nuts, generally no as the rise is too slow to make any difference, even with cashews which are quite high in carbs
Eggs, meat, fish (not vegetables, I know) but unless my meal is entirely made up of these, then I won't count. By experience a 3-egg omlette might raise my BG by about 1.0mmol/l, and it will then be back to the starting point by the next meal
Hi Dave

Thanks for the response
Hope you dont mind me asking, how did you get the pump offered to you?
How long after diagnosis did you get offered the pump?
I have been researching and really like the idea of a pump regime, feel it would suit me much better

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thats my thoughts on the issue too
Just wanted some consensus from here to see what other T1's are doing

Once I had scrambled egg and a piece if bacon, so no carbs, I didn't take any Insulin and it rose quite a bit,it's the cooking process. I was shocked by the rise and annoyed too.
It does differ with each individual and what their body can actually cope with. It would depend on the reading prior to eating, the amount of food, my small handful would be different to yours. I seem to need Insulin for practically everything I eat, unless it's a small leaf salad, but add eggs or tomatoes, then out comes the Insulin. I eat 3 meals a day and don't snack in between.

Besy wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dave

Thanks for the response
Hope you dont mind me asking, how did you get the pump offered to you?
How long after diagnosis did you get offered the pump?
I have been researching and really like the idea of a pump regime, feel it would suit me much better

I was looking at the pump right from the start, one of the DSNs and one of the consultants both suggested it independently to me to help manage exercise related hypos.

I got the first pump 18months after diagnosis, but that went back as it wasn't working properly, got the current one a couple of months later

Reactions: 2 people

Injector1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coming quite late to this thread. I raised this at my DAFNE course (a few years ago now) the nutritionalist said that most veg releases it's carbs to slow for the bolus to deal with. So in a way, those who do count them all are right (a carb is a carb) and those who don't are too, because if the effectiveness of the bolus dose has dissipated by the time the food is being processed it's not confronting it and may be making you hypo. I think that the slow acting carbs are probably dealt with by getting the basal dose right. I'm not at all sure about this, but I assume that the DAFNE designers did their homework and that the hospital nutritionalist knows more about this than I do. I don't count carbs in leafy veg, or root veg, even tho to my taste beetroot tastes quite sweet. And yet my calculations seem to work just fine - so horses for courses I reckon - whatever works for you.

Reactions: Picci