Freestyle Libre - is it worth it?

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
No the sensor doesn't set the machine off - I only got the pat down once when I wore fly-button jeans ;)
In that case serves you right for being a hipster

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Going through Nairobi, I had to go through double security - I was wearing a T-shirt and the sensor was in plain view but I wasn't asked about it and I even went through an x-ray body scanner there with no problems.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I flew long haul yesterday wearing a sensor of my chest (sort of hoping bikinis will cover it, or I'll be being a total floooozie). The security arch bleeped, but it almost always does. So I had the pat down and full body scan thingamybob.

The sensor onto her to work and indeed remains bang on with finger prick test. I know this because I was surprised to track my body's performance on airline food and cross checked several times during the 9 hour flight.

It's still behaving today. Don't worry about it.

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sounds promising. Thanks for the reply.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
And you know what? In 30 (nearly) years of diabetes I didn't actually KNOW that a wavy line is 'okay'. I'm having fewer idealistic dreams about straight lines. I am so, so reassured by the information my Libre is giving me, and I wouldn't be without it for the world.
I think that's been the realisation for many of us @Snapsy. I knew I wanted CGM a few years ago as I was getting frustrated with the lack of information I was getting from blood testing in relation to doing a lot of cycling and not being able to track the ups and downs properly, but it was just too expensive. The low cost of entry is what really makes the Libre special and I bought it for the tracking rather than the finger prick replacement. The insight it has provided is like moving from a map to a GPS with route planning. I truly believe it is life changing.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Map -> GPS = excellent analogy, @tim2000s!
Thank you! Just to add to that, for me continuous recording like this does make managing T1 much, much easier. Not only do you know an approximate value for bg level, you have a clear indication of whether it's heading up or down, and at what rate it is doing this.

I know that one of the key issues with people using the Dexcom devices is the problem with Alarm Fatigue, and this is where I think the Libre has a big benefit. It isn't, and never has pretended that it is a CGM. So instead of worrying about alarms for heading high and low, you use it much more like you would undertake finger pricking. But instead of finger pricking 8-12 times a day, you scan yourself 40+ times a day. Because it's easy.

As a result, you have a much better view of how your glucose levels move about and where they are going. And that is invaluable for being able to make predictive correction doses of either carbs or insulin. It's also invaluable for understanding the effects of food. But you do have to choose to act on this. And that's the key. It is relatively expensive compared to finger pricking (well, maybe not if you were to use 40 per day).

What isn't recognised in all the cost/value reports is that it allows a change in behaviour. For the cost of two boxes of test strips, you can now observe yourself 40x per day for two weeks. If I was to do that using SMBG, I'd have fingers like a sieve and would have cost the NHS £446 a month in addition to what I do to calibrate the device now. That's the stat that is never talked about...

Reactions: 7 people

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I flew long haul yesterday wearing a sensor of my chest (sort of hoping bikinis will cover it, or I'll be being a total floooozie). The security arch bleeped, but it almost always does. So I had the pat down and full body scan thingamybob.

The sensor onto her to work and indeed remains bang on with finger prick test. I know this because I was surprised to track my body's performance on airline food and cross checked several times during the 9 hour flight.

It's still behaving today. Don't worry about it.
Interesting you mentioned on your chest. I read people have tried their thigh, hadn't heard of chest. Have you noticed any variation in readings depending on location?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting you mentioned on your chest. I read people have tried their thigh, hadn't heard of chest. Have you noticed any variation in readings depending on location?

Well, on this sensor I broke my own golden rules by changing two things at the same time. I changed the deferred activation timeframe and sensor location. On change driven by a desire for more consistent reading and the second, plain old vanity, as I am currently in a climate where sleeveless clothing is very usual and I'm a discrete old bird. I had tried the last one on my lower tummy, just in from my hip bone, but it didn't really work for me, on a practical level.

Two changes at once means it is impossible to say which, if either is an improvement, or whether this sensor is just a "good one" for me. Sorry.

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well, on this sensor I broke my own golden rules by changing two things at the same time. I changed the deferred activation timeframe and sensor location. On change driven by a desire for more consistent reading and the second, plain old vanity, as I am currently in a climate where sleeveless clothing is very usual and I'm a discrete old bird. I had tried the last one on my lower tummy, just in from my hip bone, but it didn't really work for me, on a practical level.

Two changes at once means it is impossible to say which, if either is an improvement, or whether this sensor is just a "good one" for me. Sorry.
Thank you and can understand your situation. I'm glad to hear people are confident enough to try different locations, as the vendor specified location of back of arm is limited. I was unsure if that was as a result of their tests proving more accurately from that location. Enjoy the good weather

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you and can understand your situation. I'm glad to hear people are confident enough to try different locations, as the vendor specified location of back of arm is limited. I was unsure if that was as a result of their tests proving more accurately from that location. Enjoy the good weather

A good many people have tried varying the location of their sensors, usually without trouble. I think, with any new product, the manufacturer/ developers will want to limit their exposure to potential issues, but I have a feeling over time other sites will be approved.

Many folks use an upper thigh, but I don't think that's a great look in a swimsuit.

Actually, it's probably the swimsuit that's the issue, not the sensor. ;)

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well back to the first question do you think it is worth the money
I am thinking of getting one as it is now all over Facebook that you can get it now

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well back to the first question do you think it is worth the money
I am thinking of getting one as it is now all over Facebook that you can get it now
I think as a non NHS item it is very fairly priced for the sensors and in the next few years might be available on the NHS. I would argue the meter isn't needed if you have a smart phone with NFC reader which would save the cost of that purchase but if you can afford the cost of approx 100 a month, it is worth it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've just bought a libre, been wearing it for 2 days. It is absolutley fantastic! I've been wating 20 years for this. It was the first question I had when I was diagnosed. "do you have a continuous monitor?". I think if your readings are already really good, I can't see this devices readings helping you to improve on that. Doesn't seem much point changing something that's already working. "if it's not broken why fix it?"

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all me again can this be used for driving readings and do the DVLA accept it

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmmmmm so carrying both around all the time plus pump supplies and pens tying to carry less not more lol

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmmmmm so carrying both around all the time plus pump supplies and pens tying to carry less not more lol
The Libre reader has a built-in blood tester as well, which would be acceptable for DVLA.