Freestyle Libre - is it worth it?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got the strips added to my scrip and use a lot less than I did before getting the Libre. My GP is probably very happy ;)

Lubenz1

First time I’ve used the Freestyle Libre and it is hopeless. It stayed on my arm for 90 minutes then fell off - it cannot then be reapplied so that was £50 of NHS money down the drain. What a waste of time !!!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
First time I’ve used the Freestyle Libre and it is hopeless. It stayed on my arm for 90 minutes then fell off - it cannot then be reapplied so that was £50 of NHS money down the drain. What a waste of time !!!

If you look through the forum you will find lots of tips on how to improve your chances of the sensor staying on.

For my first two I was cautious and put a strip of Kinesiology tape over the sensor. For this one I am trying an arm band but I may be getting an allergic reaction to the material.

I assume that you followed the instructions and cleaned the site with the wipes then let it dry thoroughly.

It might help if you can get someone else to work the applicator. I haven't quite worked out yet how to get a reliable strong push underneath my arm.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Don’t give up! It is definitely not a waste of time. Abbott will replace that sensor. Make sure you do not dispose of it as they will want it back to assess why it didn’t stay on.
As someone self funding for the last two years I get a little upset when people getting it given to them are so negative.