Lantus injections?

Kesh92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do Lantus into my thigh every night. Have done for years. I just use a 0.8mm needle and pinch the skin. You may just bruise easily? I've never bruised from it but then again I very rarely do from anything xx

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
I find that Lantus does sting slightly, this is probably because it's slightly acidic, on the topic of bruising, I get that occasionally but not always.

In simple terms, it's normal :)

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

Me again (I'm sure you'll soon get sick of me asking questions )

But basically I inject my Lantas into my thighs and that stings enough as is it. But the last couple of nights I've noticed that I'm starting to bruise?

Does anyone else get this? My thighs are so sore, I don't think I can go on much longer!

I've only been diagnosed for 2 months and have sort of been left to figure things out on my own so I'm not sure if there are any other places I could inject for my night time insulin?

Thank you all for your help, you're all amazing x

Hey!

Your thighs are probably not a great place for any type of injection if you are on the thin side due to the low amount of fat, and high amount of muscle :/

First - the sting is from the lantus itself contacting your skin, so to avoid that sting make sure there isn't any on the needle prior to injecting, so just flick it off first.

Second - I had the best result injecting my lantus in my rear - just anywhere back there that you can grab hold of lol

You should only end up with a bruise if you are injecting into muscle, pinch to hard (you probably dont need to pinch much at all) or not pulling the needle straight out / being rough or fast with it.

I would make the switch to your belly, love handles, and rear - and see how that goes :)

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
Hey!
Second - I had the best result injecting my lantus in my rear - just anywhere back there that you can grab hold of lol
For a second I was very panicked, as I accidentally misread this as "I had the best result injecting my lantus in my ear".

Robert_Blair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told to do Lantas in my thigh and my humalog in my belly
I was told the same thing, and I haven't had any problems apart from the stinging. Maybe it's just to vary the area of injection that they suggest the thighs instead of the stomach.

mumsie147

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

Me again (I'm sure you'll soon get sick of me asking questions )

But basically I inject my Lantas into my thighs and that stings enough as is it. But the last couple of nights I've noticed that I'm starting to bruise?

Does anyone else get this? My thighs are so sore, I don't think I can go on much longer!

I've only been diagnosed for 2 months and have sort of been left to figure things out on my own so I'm not sure if there are any other places I could inject for my night time insulin?

Thank you all for your help, you're all amazing x
I do bruise occasionally. As someone here has already said - check the size of your needles. But it's important to rotate your injection sites as using the same place repeatedly will eventually cause problems as well as pain.You can inject Lantus into your thighs, your upper arms, your belly and your bum. Absorption may vary from place to place, but you'll find that out.
If you are a UK resident, ask your diabetes nurse if a DAPHNE course is available in your area. It stands for Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating and is for Type 1 on insulin regimes like yours and those using pumps. It teaches you everything you need to know to be the expert about your own condition. Sadly some areas have stopped providing them to save money.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why your thigh? Using a pen? Small needle? Why not in your belly?
Your belly/abdominal is a better area to inject and more effective for insulin uptake. I used to inject in my thighs and stopped that a while back.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Left thigh for fast acting at breakfast.
Right thigh for Lantus at breakfast.
Left of belly button at lunch.
Right of belly button for dinner.
Slow acting insulin is less sensitive to get into the thighs, where uptake from tissue is slower and depending on your activity level. Smaller injections of fast acting is best in stomach, as you here have more consistent and reliable speed of uptake.

Each area is then having a 'zone' I use for each week day, with pattern like a chess board:
TUE THU SAT
MON WED FRI SUN.
So Monday morning is left thigh, upper side near stomach. Sunday near the knee...
This way there is only one injection per week per site/zone.

For needle, it depends on your own personal preference. But no matter what, your needle-end should be in the fatty tissue just under the skin layer, as that is where the insulin should be placed. If you are really skinny on your legs, than even a 8mm needle can by mistake go into your muscle and that will bruise and hurt. Likewise will it bruise/hurt if you inject the insulin into the epidermis or the dermis. Another important point is that you will bruise and hurt if you use one of the very fine new needles but injection speed is too high, as the force of insulin sprayed out will tear the tissue at the needle tip. Potentially try out one of the 4mm needles on the market for our pens, and hold it vertical in for the injection. This should ensure you get through the dermis and also that you do never get down into the muscle below the subcutaneous fat layer. Take your time (4-5 seconds) before extracting the needle after the injection, to ensure the insulin is not running back out. Most important if you are utilizing relatively small doses of insulin as I do... Also review the thickness of your chosen needle, as thinner clearly makes less damage to skin. I am myself using a 32 Gauge needle, which is among the thinnest on the market. When using this, please just be gentle when injecting, as the insulin stream is narrow but at high speed. (same volume to get out through a smaller hole)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars... and fig rolls
Sorry this is so late!
I have the exact same experience, apparently Lantus is just made from something that makes it sting that little bit more, I think the pH is more acidic or something? Not entirely sure, I'm not very sciencey.
With my NovoRapid (fast-acting), I choose from my belly or legs, but I always always always do my Lantus in my bum - purely because there's more fat there than on my belly or thighs, so I don't feel the unavoidable burn quite as much. My entire stomach was bright purple and blue with bruising my first few weeks since I injected Lantus into my belly at first!
My nurse told me it's completely natural and you can't really prevent it because of how Lantus is made, so just avoid the less fatty areas if you can!

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Sorry this is so late!
I have the exact same experience, apparently Lantus is just made from something that makes it sting that little bit more, I think the pH is more acidic or something? Not entirely sure, I'm not very sciencey.
With my NovoRapid (fast-acting), I choose from my belly or legs, but I always always always do my Lantus in my bum - purely because there's more fat there than on my belly or thighs, so I don't feel the unavoidable burn quite as much. My entire stomach was bright purple and blue with bruising my first few weeks since I injected Lantus into my belly at first!
My nurse told me it's completely natural and you can't really prevent it because of how Lantus is made, so just avoid the less fatty areas if you can!
I had the same problem, over time either I got used to the stinging or my injection area has been so punctured the nerves are not as sensitive, but I no longer have an issue. It took about 6 months and better control was worth putting up with the sting