Painful Feet and calfs

woodstar65

Hi
I have been working nights recently in the cold weather. I have been waking up with shooting pains in my toes and dull aching in my calf muscles. I only had my feet Checked a couple of weeks ago and they were fine.
Does any one else suffer from this?

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I'm not sure about shooting pains but muscle cramps are not uncommon with high blood glucose. I get it in my toes when I go too high.

What are your levels like?

Be cautious of blaming everything on diabetes, consult your doc or dsn.

Last edited by a moderator:

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi I had high BG readings and I suffered from cramps in my feet and toes. Now on metformin 500mg 2 daily, BG readings way down now and the cramps have disappeared. Strange.

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
All sounds normal for a diabetic. Get the BG under control and that should reduce the pain. I go to a footcare clinic every few months just to be careful. I've got minor neuropathy in my toes and used to get cramps in my legs but not much anymore.

Reactions: 4 people

stuart178

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find carbs start my feet and calves aching. the soles of my feet are the worst do your best to cut out the ****.i do the **** all in one go once a month like a few beers curry and a naan as a treat I know I'm gonna suffer but I can live with it 1 day a month it also reminds me to watch what I'm eating until the next time but you must find what works for you and what your happy with everybody's different.good luck

Reactions: 4 people

RFAroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Woodstar68,
Do you take a Statin with or without a low dose Aspirin?
Statins cause muscle pain especially in long term use, so if you are on a Statin I suggest discussing with your doctor about lowering the dose or better still stop taking them altogether (on consultation with your Cardiologist).

I suffered with muscle pain in the upper arms, knees/calf and ankles before I stopped taking a Statin, when I told my Cardiologist I had stopped taking my Statin five months before and informed him I did not have anymore muscle pain, he didn't offer any argument about remaining on taking Statins and that was before he checked my excellent blood test results.

As an aside, I have three stents put in ten years ago and I blame my T2 Diabetes on the cocktail of heart drugs taken and my Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Syndrome and gall stones on Statins + Amaryl M (Glimepiride 5mg/Metformin 500mg) both of which ******-up the liver on long term use; this is based on my own experience and according to the numerous amount of literature that is available.
Diet: Low Carb - High Fibre - Protein
BG: 4.5 - 5.5 (spiking to 6.5 with treats)
Note: Still on Amaryl M as comfortable with it & treatment for NAFLS. Now no statin/no beta blocker/very reduced aspirin.

RFARoy

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Please note that statins *can* cause muscle pain but do not necessarily do so. This a known side effect of the medication but not everyone gets all the side effects of every medication.

Regards

Doug

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I have been working nights recently in the cold weather. I have been waking up with shooting pains in my toes and dull aching in my calf muscles. I only had my feet Checked a couple of weeks ago and they were fine.
Does any one else suffer from this?
It's so much easier to help if you put some info on your profile. As it there is zilch. Age, gender, type of diabetes, type of medication, other diagnosis would do for a start.

woodstar65

I've been put on some pain killers for nerve damage. Which is helping as I'm getting more sleep. Also getting my levels under control. Been put on Novo mix as my shift pattern changes from days to night every 4 days. Not ideal but I'm going to try it to see if it helps. Noticed on side effect with the pain killers tho they change my emotions up and down. Hopefully won't be on them long.