What and when to eat before exercise - help!

helenb

Dislikes
Bad service in shops and ****** drivers (and 4X4s that have never seen the countryside!).
I have just joined a gym this week - a lovely early Christmas present from my parents - however, I would like a few words of wisdom from you lovely people.

I want to go swimming fairly early in the day perhaps before breakfast as I don't think it would be a good idea to swim straight after eating (I had always been told not to swim until at least 1 or 2 hrs after eating). However, I do know if I don't have something to eat fairly soon after I have got up that my BS levels rise by 1 or 2% in any case. So, the question is, what advise can you give me about what to eat before my swim so that I can maximise on the activity and still keep my BS figures stable? Is fruit (say an apple) or a couple of oat cakes an option?

My diet is reduced carbs, 95% vegan (I still do have the odd bit of cheese and an egg occasionally) if that helps with any advice given.

Thanks - hope I get some replies :D

LizzieP

Hello there!

Not sure if you are Type 1 or Type 2...I would say that exercising first thing in the morning on an empty stomach would be a bad idea as you are likely to end up with a higher blood sugar reading after swimming than before as your liver will be sending out glucose to give you energy for the activity. Not sure if you are using insulin or not but I take mine (I am Type 1) first thing in the morning with my b'fast and then go for a 3 mile brisk walk to work. My levels are fine with this (I take half the amount of insulin that I would normally take without the exercise).
With regard to time elapsed between eating and swimming, I recently looked this up as I was thinking of morning swimming and found several entries on Google to say that having to wait between 1 hour and 2 hours before swimming for fear of drowning was a myth! (not wise to have 3 courses, perhaps). Look it up and see what you think. If you could let us know what meds you are on, people might have some b'fast suggestions for you.
I'm sure others will be along soon with more advice. :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I execise every morning. Breakfast before I go ,is scrambled eggs, eggs and bacon, or if I'm running short of time, A piece of cheese or cold meat .
Hana

helenb

Dislikes
Bad service in shops and ****** drivers (and 4X4s that have never seen the countryside!).
LizzieP - I'm type 2 and currently not on any meds for my diabetes.

helenb

Dislikes
LizzieP said:
...I would say that exercising first thing in the morning on an empty stomach would be a bad idea as you are likely to end up with a higher blood sugar reading after swimming than before as your liver will be sending out glucose to give you energy for the activity.
Well I can vouch for the fact that this is true for me Lizzie. I did go swimming this morning but at 11:00 (I'd had breakfast at 07:45 ish) and didn't have anything else before. My reading after breakfast was 6.3% but after my swim it was 8.5% :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: . Think I'll have to make sure I carry and apple in the car for these occasions.

Another reason why its good to test even though my doc won't give me strips. I told him that I'll still test whether he gives me them or not as his refusal would not deter him. Will use the above finding as ammo next time I see him :wink:

mikey

Hi Helen,
I've posted a few times on this subject and always said the same thing.
My experience is that if I don't eat before exercise my bg goes up.
I exercise before my breakfast because I have seen better results all day if I do this.
I test before I go out and decide if I need an apple or half an apple.

Some people on here see different results but you can only go with what works for you.
I think the most important thing is that you continue to exercise.

Best regards,
Mike.

helenb

Dislikes
Thanks for the advice Mike. I am indeed having something to eat before my swim if I go first thing and things seem to be pretty under control. I'm really enjoying the exercise (long may it continue - as I need to still loose loads of weight - I'm down 3 stone since my diagnosis in August so am well on the way).
I will continue to check my readings before and after so I can work out the best strategy for me but I appreciate those of you who replied as its very helpful to find out what general works for people.