Carbohydrate contents of ingredients

NoughtQAF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm new to the forums and diabetes. Can someone point me in the direction of a chart or something that has the carbohydrate levels of basic foods like potatoes, raspberries, etc. I've googled but have been overwhelmed and I'm not really sure what to trust. Thanks in advance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Carbs & Cals is good and is available in a app.

Reactions: 2 people

Mal1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@NoughtQAF the myfitnesspal app, it has over 6 million foods in its database and tells you the exact amount of calories carbs protein etc in the food your eating, I'm newly diagnosed type 1 and it has been a godsend in getting my BS under control

Reactions: 2 people

NoughtQAF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@NoughtQAF the myfitnesspal app, it has over 6 million foods in its database and tells you the exact amount of calories carbs protein etc in the food your eating, I'm newly diagnosed type 1 and it has been a godsend in getting my BS under control
Thanks I've tried using the food app from Google Play but when I've compared many of the entries to what it says on packets it's been wildly different.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One somewhat befuddling issue you may come across is that in the USA thy use a different method of counting the carbohydrate content to that we use in the UK. Here we count fibre content separately from carbohydrates, in the USA it's included and has to be subtracted to calculate net carbs, and this net carbs figure is then equivalent to our (total) carbs. :wideyed::wideyed: Unless you're reading the actual packaging nutritional content, you may need to be aware of which country any information is applicable to.

Also be aware that for fruit and vegetables, different growing conditions and varieties may result in differing amounts of carbs so that you are always likely to get some (small) differences in values given.

Any site that relies on user input may well contain inaccuracies as it's possible that data has come from unreliable sources. The best you can ever hope for are fairly approximate figures, so don't get too fussed over very precise ones.

Robbity

Reactions: 3 people