DRIVING LICENCE ?

Eliminator

Dislikes
People who talk ***** and tell lies.
I hold a full UK car licence that I have had for 21 years, so I am also entitled to drive 7.5 tonne and mini buses. I also have a full UK Motorcycle licence, I also have HGV CLass 1 & 2, so basicly I can drive anything under the sun.

Before I went on insulin, I was told I would lose my HGV part of my licence. I send two letters to DVLA informing them that I was on insulin, and they did not get back to me. I then phoned them and asked whats going on as I had not heard from them. they send me a medical questionaire. I filled it in a couple of weeks ago and still heard nothing, so I phoned them again last week.

I also put on the form that I have never had a hypo or keytones, they have now told me not only am I gona lose my HGV class one and two, but they are also taking away my mini bus, my 7.5 tonne, and taking away my standard car licence and replacing it with a 3 year car licence that I have to re apply for every 3 years.

No mention of my motorcycle.

Is this correct, do all type ones have a restricted 3 year car licence ?

Or How can I fight it, I don't mind loseing all that money on HGV lessons and test, but to lose my 7.5 ton, mini bus and standard car is taking the *iss.

I am not sending my licence back the DVLA they can get lost.

Whats your views on this please anyone ?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The restricted licence is normal.
Diabetes UK campaigned against the ban on Group 2 licences and has secured a
concession for C1 and C1+E. If you are on insulin you can now undergo a medical
assessment to apply for C1 or C1+E entitlement to be added to your standard car licence.
To qualify for C1/C1+E entitlement you must fulfil the following conditions:
details (and cost) in this document
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/How we help/catalogue/DrivingandDiabetes_Final_ToUpload.pdf

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
as already said ,it is normal :?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
T1 husband has been on restricted licenses for years. Was afraid he'd lose it thistime, because of poor results of eye surgery, but they've given it to him.
You may be responsible and keep yourself and other road users safe, but not everyone will. Unfortunately the rules have to cover them too. There are recorded cases of Drivers going Hypo and killing someone.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Eliminator.
As all the previous posters stated, it is normal procedure.

As for not you sending your licence back, not a wise move. If you don't return it without good reason they are fully entitled to REVOKE your licence. As it is only a bit of plastic/paper it is what is on record at the DVLA that is important. If you were ever stopped or had an accident you would be in serious trouble as you would, if it was revoked, have No Driving Licence. No Insurance. Serious offences.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Eliminator,

That's how it is for all type 1s - a restricted license limited to 3 years and subject to a declaration by your doctor that you're fit to drive.

It's just one more reason to aim for good control. There's always plenty to lose if we don't.

Regards,
timo.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yup, fact of life I'm afraid.
Look on the bright side, we do get to update our look on the photo every 3 years though?

fergus

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
fergus said:
Look on the bright side, we do get to update our look on the photo every 3 years though?

fergus[/quote

Fraid not Fergus, you only update your photo after 10 years, my current photo has has been on my current licence and the 2 before

Lorna

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
fergus said:

fergus

I wish :lol: been stuck with the same pic since lord knows when :?

glitterzoe

Think about what it implys if you drive and have a hypo, you may not have had one yet and I hope you never do but most of us type 1's have them from time to time (even the ones under good control) think about losing it at the wheel NOT A GOOD THING, it seams like a pain but it is for the best you wouldent want to go to jail for this would you (if you dont do this you are driving with the knowlage that you could have a fit its like going out with a gun or a knife) It sounds harsh I know but its all about safty not just for you.!

Gazhay

Or How can I fight it, I don't mind loseing all that money on HGV lessons and test, but to lose my 7.5 ton, mini bus and standard car is taking the *iss.

I'm sorry, it's far from taking the *iss.
I used to test minibus drivers, and had a load of entitlements too, I am just glad I can drive a car now.

You have to be responsible, if you are driving a minibus of 16 and have a hypo the results could be catastrophic - that's not taking the *iss at all.

Eliminator

Dislikes
People who talk ***** and tell lies.
Gazhay said:

I'm sorry, it's far from taking the *iss.
I used to test minibus drivers, and had a load of entitlements too, I am just glad I can drive a car now.

You have to be responsible, if you are driving a minibus of 16 and have a hypo the results could be catastrophic - that's not taking the *iss at all.

I under stand from that point of view, but I can't still crash my car into a minibus with 16 people on and cause the same damage.

I send my form off to dvla this morning anyway, so that is the end of my driving anything for a few years.

I'm glad it does not mention my jetski or power boat, coz I would not be giving them up lol.

The 7.5 tonne and minibus thing that you can re apply for with medical and proof of bloods, when can you get that, as I can prove my bloods 4 times per day for the last 3 months.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Eliminator said:
I under stand from that point of view, but I can't still crash my car into a minibus with 16 people on and cause the same damage.

I send my form off to dvla this morning anyway, so that is the end of my driving anything for a few years.

I'm glad it does not mention my jetski or power boat, coz I would not be giving them up lol.

The 7.5 tonne and minibus thing that you can re apply for with medical and proof of bloods, when can you get that, as I can prove my bloods 4 times per day for the last 3 months.
Part of DVLA's remit is to attempt to ensure safety for EVERYONE, and to balance risk while doing so.

As long as jetskis or powerboats don't require a licence to operate (and I assume they don't?), you'll probably be OK, albeit at increased risk to yourself and others.

The UK has up to a year to implement the new European directive, so there probably won't be any changes until November 2010. My one hope is that the current method of medical assessment will be overhauled to be considerably more comprehensive than at present.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
timo2 said:
Hi Eliminator,

That's how it is for all type 1s - a restricted license limited to 3 years and subject to a declaration by your doctor that you're fit to drive.

Its not just t1's Timo, its the same for t2's on insulin. I had to declare it to the dvla and my insurance co, insurance co couldnt care less just made a note on my policy but there were no extra premium to pay, the dvla on the other hand withdrew my licence imediately and only after I had sent them a signed form and a passport photo did they issue me a new credit card licence valid for 3 years and subject to my eyesight and control.

It least my driving licence is free now and paid for by the dvla :D :D :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I Don't know the position now, but it used to be that if a driver on insulin had a hypo, he/she could be prosecuted for driving under the influence of drugs.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I believe that's still the case Hana, in addition if it is suspected that the individual does not follow the DVLA's guidelines on driving (testing etc) TO THE LETTER and as an absolute minimum, he/she can also be charged with driving without due care and attention.