Type 1 Sick Day Rules

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone help, please?

I fell over on Friday evening (pure clumsiness), and landed on my back against the coffee table - I've ended up with a cracked rib, round the back, and am finding it rather uncomfortable. Doctor has prescribed some nice heavy-duty painkillers and I'm waiting for them to arrive, so that's sorted.

However, my sugars have shot up since Friday, not surprisingly, and though I've increased my injections and corrections to try and cover this, I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. My sugars are still running high (low teens), I've just tested my ketones (testing strip) and they're showing ++. I obviously don't want to add DKA to the mix, but the combination of pain and medication is confusing my poor addled brain and I can't make sense of the DAFNE sick day rules to work out what to do next.

I'm on Lantus (28 units in the morning) and Humalog for meals. I'm currently taking roughly 2-3 times what I normally take, but still having to correct.

Can anyone spell out in simple terms how I should tackle this please?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i have copied this from the sick day rules

" Give yourself an extra dose of fast-acting insulin. (Pump users should give this by pen or syringe.) To calculate the dose, add up all the units of insulin you usually take in a day, and divide by 6 (maximum single dose 15 units)."

so that would be 28u lantus plus the 3 humalog injections then divide that total by 6 and give that amount as a humalog correction dose
obviously testing every hour ( what I would do ) or every 2 hours

repeat at 4 hours if bloods stay above 12

personally i would increase the lantus dose by 10% as well

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks himtoo - I'll give that a go - my brain is like jelly today, it hurts to even breathe and I'm feeling utterly useless and sorry for myself at the moment. And my dog is driving me mad leaving the front door open - she can open it perfectly well but hasn't figured out how to close it, so she goes for a run round the garden and there's a howling gale through the house.

Mondays, eh....

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
as you are not doing much else today :D :eek: perhaps you could keep us updated on your levels as the afternoon / evening progresses
( just being safe )

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sister, the drugs mule, has just delivered a bag full of codeine from the doctor, which I'm assured will knock the pain into submission. So I think you might be right - I probably won't be doing much other than going quietly ga-ga this afternoon.

Just done a test - it's 9.9, and I don't really feel too hungry, so will try some cheese and a double dose of Humalog. And test on the hour.

If I'm not back later, it'll be because I'm away with the fairies....

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
at least it is headed in the right direction and single figures :)