Hypo and not feeling it

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

So I'm confused and frightened.... I've been type one for over ten years. I used to inject but started pumping in October. I've reduced my HBA1C from 8.9 in September to 7.5 and saying I am over the moon is an understatement! (Other meds made it difficult to lower) However I've had a lot of hypos lately! I had 2.9 on Saturday night and did not feel it - the CGM (on loan from clinic) beeped and woke me. The thought that if I had not had it I may not have felt it terrifies me. It happened again last night - 3.3! Unexplained. I have to give the CGM back in two weeks. Why is my sensitivity not as strong any more? I used to feel low at 4.7! Oh and my before bed ranged from 5.8 - 6.5.

Has anyone had this experience before? Has anyone felt terrified to sleep in case you'd go low and not know it?

Here's to hoping one of you guys have had a similar experience and can offer advice.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I would get straight on the phone today and speak to your DSN , review your evening and night basal rates , do some basal testing over the next few nights and then talk to your DSN and make some adjustments as required.

link to basal tesing just in case http://diatribe.org/issues/26/thinking-like-a-pancreas

and I have just started getting my hypo awareness back since i started pumping 4 1/2 months ago after many years on MDI with impaired awareness.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@NicolaN, look to see what time you a hypo both nights and reduce your basal rate, if you hypo'd at 4am reduce your basal rate from 2am.

If your basal rates are right your bg levels shouldn't fluctuate by more than 1.6mmol, you might find once you reduce the frequency of hypo's your hypo symptoms will improve.

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for your help. I reduced my basal last night and I was on to the nurse first thing this morning. We are trying to figure things out. It's just very scary!