24 Year Old, Type 1 as of 4/02/2016

bevellar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My husband is 49 and also had blood tests after losing weight
He was diagnosed with lada type diabetes which was explained as being late onset type 1
He's coped well however he has has 1 or 2 down days
I think that was purely due to the frustrating fact that he has always looked after himself , he's fit and eats healthily , he doesn't smoke and drinks occasionally and did think 'why me'!!!
It's a lot to get your head around
The GP described it as a dramatic presentation with a hba1 reading of 23
We have found so much information and support on this forum

Reactions: 2 people

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre starter pack is £150 including two sensors and reader for sensors. Each sensor lasts 14 days.

Sensors are £50 each. I honestly don't want it attached every single day it's just more to find out patterns: basal patterns and especially sporting activities - running and cycling. Look forward to seeing your thoughts on the G5 :)

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Mal1978 - hope it improves for you soon regarding the carb counting etc. Lots of great information here on the forum.

I've had some shockingly bad hypos - 2.2, 1.9 and a personal record - 1.4 lol. My own fault and at the start I just cried with hypos because of the emotional rollercoaster of it all. With the 1.4, I just laughed and thought oh dear I've messed up here. We are learning all the time and just have to persevere with it and come here with any questions/for support :)

Reactions: 4 people

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@teacher123 when are you thinking of purchasing it? It would be good to compare so other people can see. It definitely wins in the price category!

@bevellar and @Mal1978 sorry to hear it, this forum is really great for us newbies!!

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ElkBond - hopefully very soon once I get my financial house in order.

On the side, I was diagnosed April 2015, at 24. 25 next week. Did the doctor say anything about you being late for type 1 etc?

Mal1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@teacher123 my Hypos are bad when I get down to the low 3s lol I was told they would be like that for a while though because my bloods have been so high that I would feel them a lot more, my first hypo was 4.5 but that was when I was first diagnosed and my bloods were very high.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@teacher123 I am 24, nothing was said about being late, and looking at this forum its not as uncommon as it is thought.

I am glad that I have it now in life (as i was going to get it anyway) rather than in Uni or later on when I am set in my ways, nothing would be wrong if I had been diagnosed then but its just easier to work with and get used to now. I also eat well and go running, its just the luck of the draw really, nothing to resent or get angry with - thats how i see it anyway

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah - you are right @ElkBond . The doctor said to me that I was late for this type 1 business but once I came on here I realise I wasn't!

Very similar to myself - I've always eaten pretty well, do lots of running/cycling and don't drink. Infact, since diagnosis it's made me more determined to stay fit and healthy. By purchasing the Libre it should improve my control even further, hopefully :).

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats what I am hoping with my new device, at the moment I am worried about walking or doing any exercise without finger pricking before, I am definitely checking more than necessary!

Having a constant update will really give me my confidence back, well thats the plan.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh thanks for that, I heard the sensor in the G5 can be turned on and off again, I got a little confused.

Sensor placement and injection sites: where is best for the g5 sensor and how close can it be to an injection point? At the moment my fast acting is going in the abdomen.
To answer this question: I strongly recommend keeping it on your abdomen unless you have a higher (20%+) body fat percentage.

Unfortunately, I've wasted two sensors trying to insert them in the back of my arms.

I rotate my sensors to the far left and far right of my stomach just below my ribs. They're far enough to the side that I can sleep on my stomach without issue.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What about injection sites? Currently i use my abdomen and swap with every injection, how close to the sensor can i be?

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@teacher123 when are you thinking of purchasing it? It would be good to compare so other people can see. It definitely wins in the price category!

@bevellar and @Mal1978 sorry to hear it, this forum is really great for us newbies!!
@ElkBond, Appreciate you are going down the G5 route, but for other peoples information, it is difficult to do a direct comparison but the G4 is comparable in cost. However, you do have to take into account the much larger initial layout for the G4. Also, my prices are based on purchasing the sensors and transmitters from Germany, and assuming the sensors last an average of 21 days (you may get more). There are quite a few variables (transmitters may last more or less than 12 months, and I have not included the cost of receivers (1 every 2 years as these are essentially optional) and this makes it difficult to compare, but all I am trying to do is highlight the costs aren't actually that much different.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.5 KB · Views: 172
Last edited by a moderator:

gemthomoZA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies and the welcome to the club :)

I am on the Lantus background insulin at night and Novarapid before meals.

I haven't driven since my diagnosis, I will let them know in the next few days, doses are nearly there, starting to stay in single digits.
Hey @ElkBond you and I have a very similar story! I was also diagnosed completely out of the blue at a random health check done through my company. I'm also on Lantus and Novorapid. I also just got on with the whole thing and looked at it really practically. I've been diabetic now for 6 years and, although currently feeling super fed up with it all, it's actually been quite a good thing for my life. It forces you to live your life in a considered, organised way - something which is ironically quite liberating! I've also just joined the forum as I'm needing a little more emotional support! Keep up the positivity!

Reactions: 3 people

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously we all wish we didn't have it but as completely randomly created lumps of meat there is bound to be hiccups along the way. I do firmly believe there are worse things to have, some people get rotten luck with their health.

Anytime you want to talk about whats going on feel free to PM me, same goes for the rest of you! I am only a newbie but **** I can listen!!

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had an odd day today, I seem to be a little off with my doses, I had no hypos all week but today eating the same breakfast and a carby lunch sent me close to a hypo, both remedied before they went lower than 3. Last change to my dose was 3 days ago and that was my Lantus. My resting was great this morning (5ish) so i think that the background dose is correct, i took my evening dose down to test how I do. Lets see!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Had an odd day today, I seem to be a little off with my doses, I had no hypos all week but today eating the same breakfast and a carby lunch sent me close to a hypo, both remedied before they went lower than 3. Last change to my dose was 3 days ago and that was my Lantus. My resting was great this morning (5ish) so i think that the background dose is correct, i took my evening dose down to test how I do. Lets see!

I too go through some days or evenings that are odd...had to alter my tamoxifen from morning to night and this has really messed up my readings during the night.. Doesn't say anything about it on the tamoxifen drug.. Just makes me wonder how many T1's have had breast cancer and had the same happen to them.. And if anybody else has reported these side effects to the MHRA website..

However so many little things can cause us to need to change basal rates that it can be hard to identify the causes of lower or higher levels..

Hope you can find a reason....

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suffered all weekend with low blood (treated before hypos came on) so i dialled back my Lantus by 1 unit. You think a unit is nothing but today i had if anything a little high, woke up around 6 and its been hovering between meals at 6ish. My post meals have taken a bit to come down however.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Try to get 1/2 unit pens....

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didnt know they existed!
That spike at around 8am this morning was corrected with .5 units of insulin.

Side note: last night I ate a bunch of carbs. Notice how much more volatile my levels are compared to today with less than 20g of carbs.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1456185530.697280.jpg