Memory loss and type 1

Mal1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a recently diagnosed type 1 and was wondering if memory loss is a very common side reflect of diabetes? At the moment my memory is absolutely terrible and I struggle to remember things from only a few hours before.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was putting mine down to age. It could be if recently diagnosed it's a hangover from getting numbers sorted and the botheration of learning so many new things?
Also if you are a bit depressed about it all (and who wasn't when first diagnosed) it dies wear on you.

Mal1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah I'm still pretty down on it but not as bad as I was at first, I've never had the greatest memory but I've noticed a considerable change lately, I think today's probably because it's been a tough day, bloods have been great last few days then today just went downhill with Peaks and troughs and a B*tch of a Hypo and realising I had ran out of lucozade and having to walk to the shop shaking and confused, not good at all

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Think you've hit the nail on th head then if I have low sugars I have the mental capacity of a gold fish. When your blood sugars fluctuate like that then all your energies are just focussed on that rather than any thing else.
You haven't got dementia yet but you need your a@@se kicking in a completely supportive way for running out of lucozade!
I carry glucotablets now as they are in a tube that is easy to carry in your pocket and you can refill.
My fella has said I've got the ideal excuse to throw myself on the cake display at Sainsbury's shouting it's alright I'm a diabetic!
Hypos are the pits though, especially walking round the shops.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to add the sh@@@ I've bought in the past with low blood sugars!!!!