Injecting insulin

Robynberrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I take a long lasting insulin which lasts 24 hours which I inject into my thighs and bum. I rotate pretty much every day and inject in different areas but there always seem to be one area on my right leg where it flames up with a big red lump which hurts when i touch it. Sometimes when it's there it makes pretty much my whole leg and bum ache. Is this normal?? I never inject in that area when it's like that and it takes around a week to go.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which long acting insulin are you on? Maybe it's an allergic reaction?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, some people are allergic to specific insulins and others can be tried.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So I take a long lasting insulin which lasts 24 hours which I inject into my thighs and bum. I rotate pretty much every day and inject in different areas but there always seem to be one area on my right leg where it flames up with a big red lump which hurts when i touch it. Sometimes when it's there it makes pretty much my whole leg and bum ache. Is this normal?? I never inject in that area when it's like that and it takes around a week to go.

I would tend to agree with Natalie about you having a allergic reaction to the insulin but if your only getting a red lump in one injection site then it doesn't fit tbh, maybe just keep clear of the right leg for a while and see if matters improve.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Are you right handed?
(I'm going somewhere with this.)