FOOD COMBINATIONS AND BALANCE MATTER

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like you are doing fine good BG levels
Sounds OK. You may want to keep a track of your weight, since the High Fat side of the diet is there to help us maintain weight if we need to. The fat also replaces the carbs that you have cut out as the main energy source so if you start feeling lethargic, it may be that increasing the fat may be what is needed.

Are you eating to meter? That would tell you if there are any meals that still need reducing, since the HbA1c averages everything including spikes.

cazzy1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is carbs in everything even fruit and veg. You cannot avoid them but you can control them to a degree. I have been doing low carb high fat for several weeks and my blood test last week show a decrease from 105 to 47!! I allow for carbs in meat and fish and veg but no longer have pata/rice/potatos/bread. It is hard but I have never felt or looked better and I have lost weight as well. Each individual has to do what works for them x

Reactions: 4 people

robincj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
to many to mention
Hi
I was diagnosed with T2 in July 2015, and weighed in at 94.4 Kg. I was quite active ( running cycling, etc) until two injuries stopped me, then I had to cut down a lot - not to mention too much work behind a desk!
I had heard that people who lost weight stopped being diabetic, and decided that I'd give that a go. I'm based in the UK so followed the NHS guidelines and ate a carbs e.g. fruit, bread, rice pasta etc. Since then I have dropped to 78kgs - still just overweight but quite a significant % weight loss. I managed to do this by measuring and tracking my calorie intake in Fitness pal, but many other tools available. Since then (in December) my last blood test showed that I had dropped to below the Diabetic level and the medical staff told me to stop taking Metformin (I was prescribed four tables a day but could only manage one anyway). I manage to eat all foods - bacon sandwich, curry, Chinese, but in much smaller proportions and always try to keep within my cal limit. Regular workouts help and now I feel that I have more energy - previously I would tire after doing something.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi
I was diagnosed with T2 in July 2015, and weighed in at 94.4 Kg. I was quite active ( running cycling, etc) until two injuries stopped me, then I had to cut down a lot - not to mention too much work behind a desk!
I had heard that people who lost weight stopped being diabetic, and decided that I'd give that a go. I'm based in the UK so followed the NHS guidelines and ate a carbs e.g. fruit, bread, rice pasta etc. Since then I have dropped to 78kgs - still just overweight but quite a significant % weight loss. I managed to do this by measuring and tracking my calorie intake in Fitness pal, but many other tools available. Since then (in December) my last blood test showed that I had dropped to below the Diabetic level and the medical staff told me to stop taking Metformin (I was prescribed four tables a day but could only manage one anyway). I manage to eat all foods - bacon sandwich, curry, Chinese, but in much smaller proportions and always try to keep within my cal limit. Regular workouts help and now I feel that I have more energy - previously I would tire after doing something.

Hi. Well done on the weight loss. I'm sure that eating a balanced diet and smaller portions is much better for most people than eating anything in large portions, and I am delighted for you that you seem to be able to eat a nice varied diet and keep your weight down...BUT...you don't refer at all to your blood sugar levels? Have they dropped substantially too? If so..please let us know...that's all good. I would say, however (absolutely no offence intended), that for me it's never been a weight issue...or about knowing what to eat to lose weight.....it's about lowering blood sugar...and only a low carb diet is doing that for me.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Having read through this thread some more, and looked at references included...there is an awful lot of total nonsense out there. Anyone who thinks human beings cannot survive on meat alone is ignoring entirely the evolution of certain australopithici and early hominids as well as homo habilis, homo erectus and of course early homo sapiens. In many areas at different times a number of developing humanoid beings had to rely on limited resources based on climate and environment. In fact, those who dies out tended to be to reliant on local vegetation in fairly isolated areas (prone to extinction as climate changed). Further, it is with the advent of processed foods and indeed processed drugs, stress and associated mental illnesses that dementia has been more prevalent. Those who are going to preach...should perhaps study the evidence first. I seem to recall some talk of evolution being nonsense and the whole world being created around 4000BC - but then..there were dinosaurs! Evidently, there still are. Studying the impact of food sources on human beings involves a bit more than nutritional values, statistics, theories and blogs written by those with agendas. There is no such thing as carbohydrate deficiency - otherwise...we would not be here! Still - I miss meringues and that's the truth.

AUSTRALOPITHICI - What a fantastic word !

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
AUSTRALOPITHICI - What a fantastic word !

It's a belter. Best translated "southern ape" or ape-like creature of the south" - c.4 million BCE. The more commonly used word is australopiths (by those less able with Classical languages). ;)

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
It's a belter. Best translated "southern ape" or ape-like creature of the south" - c.4 million BCE. The more commonly used word is australopiths (by those less able with Classical languages)

Ape like creature of the south haha.. Fabulous. I will be using it frequently now wherever the situation dictates !

Reactions: 2 people