2 hypos in 2 days

monty1878

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anyone give me a bit of advice just had my second hypo in 2 days, one at lunch the other at supper. I am on 4, 4 & 6 apidra and 14 lantus. I have reduced my morning apidra to 2 units and still had a hypo before lunch. Other readings for the last two days have been low fours.

I am diagnosed a month tomorrow so I know I am in the honeymoon period but is it OK to not take any insulin at some meals whilst still having carbs?

Will be ringing the dsn for advice tomorrow

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your doing the right thing ringing your DSN in the morning as they will advise you further, it's best to keep in regular contact with them in the early days until your bg levels settle down, do let us know how you get on @monty1878

monty1878

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Cheers @noblehead the last two days have been a massive knock in my confidence, I was only having one hypo a week. I'm trying to avoid junk food and chocolate but I can't seem to get my blood sugars up to a reasonable level and have found I am having to snack between meals to avoid further hypos

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You need to start carb-counting which means adjusting your Bolus dose to the amount of carbs in the meal. As a month has gone by your DN needs to advise you on this - it's simple. Carb-counting avoids big peaks and troughs and enables you to eat what you want more freely.

monty1878

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The DN has adjusted my lantus at night, I've had my third hypo in 3 days.

At the minute I am on a set amount each meal however I am reducing it based on what I am eating and the amount of exercise I am doing