Safe level

kerriel1

hi guys I'm type 1 with no hypo or hyper awareness me and hubby have been at loggerheads with what is a safe level to keep it at. I think between 8-10 but he thinks higher is fine. No I worry about long term complications. Any thoughts on this at all
Kerrie

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most people try 'non-diabetic' levels (same levels as a typically healthy person without diabetes) which I believe is 4-6mmol.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @kerriel1
welcome to the forum :)
the lack of awareness at either end of the scale is a worry.

what sort of insulin regime are you on ?

I have had impaired hypo awareness for a number of years but recently started on a pump and my hypo symptoms have returned.

perhaps discussing a pump with your consultant might be a logical step ?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi guys I'm type 1 with no hypo or hyper awareness me and hubby have been at loggerheads with what is a safe level to keep it at. I think between 8-10 but he thinks higher is fine. No I worry about long term complications. Any thoughts on this at all
Kerrie

Have you spoken to your DSN or consultant to see what levels they recommend? I know that sometimes they recommend slightly higher levels if you have no hypo awareness - that is higher than they'd recommend to,people who had no problems.

How often do,you test?

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
Speak to your doctor about hypo awareness as soon as you can, it's important that you can recognize when you are low.
As for normal levels, I tend to try and get between 4 and 6, I personally consider 8-10 high, but it varies between people, as @azure said, speak to your consultant.

Best of luck