insulin pump with a larger reservoir

jackiebee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi im due to change my insulin pump soon but may possibly need one that holds a larger amount of insulin currently using the animas vibe which im changing daily any advice or information on this would be appreciated many thanks jackie

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @jackiebee
your first stop should be to discuss this with your DSN. she / he will be aware of your usage and also will be aware of the pumps your clinic can offer.
there are a couple of pumps on the market that hold 300u ( and more) but realistically your DSN will be the best advice for this sort of query.

jackiebee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thank you for replying himtoo it was my dsn that mentioned having one with a larger reservoir and was going to see whats available and let me know next week i just thought have a look myself i have seen a couple just wondering if anyone else has to use one with a bigger dose and what they thought of it another thing i could do i suppose is eat less carbs

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
thank you for replying himtoo it was my dsn that mentioned having one with a larger reservoir and was going to see whats available and let me know next week i just thought have a look myself i have seen a couple just wondering if anyone else has to use one with a bigger dose and what they thought of it another thing i could do i suppose is eat less carbs
the bit about eating less carbs actually made me laugh out loud ( I was thinking i must be the only person that did that to make my pod last the full 3 days:D )

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
The Medtronic 640g do 180 unit and 300 unit.

jackiebee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thank you yingtong and candi-girl for your replies i notice candi-girl you are currently using the medtronic 640g is it the 300 unit o ne and how have you found it? also what is the customer service like? many things to consider when changing a pump :)
himtoo glad i made you laugh and no your not the only one

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I use the 640g with the 180 units.Medtronic customer services are 2nd to none.

micksmixxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thank you yingtong and candi-girl for your replies i notice candi-girl you are currently using the medtronic 640g is it the 300 unit o ne and how have you found it? also what is the customer service like? many things to consider when changing a pump :)

Hi jackiebee,

The Medtronic pumps are the very same size. It's only the reservoir that's a different size. They both fit into the same pump. You choose which size reservoir you require, based on your insulin requirements.

I use a Medtronic Paradigm 754 'Veo' and have found the customer service to be second to none.

Ordering fresh supplies is simple and straightforward, by either telephone or via email to their store.

I've recently had cause to telephone customer service and speak with someone that took a great deal of time to explain things AND make sure that everything was working as it should before he 'gave up on me', with no qualms about how long the call was taking. (I needed to move from one room to another to fetch supplies that I had, and that's not an easy thing for me to do due to mobility problems.)

It's been a few years now, but I needed to telephone Medtronic 'out of hours' due to a problem I was experiencing with my pump. No problem as they forwarded me a replacement pump within 2 days, and return packaging to return the pump that I was experiencing a 'problem' with so that they could investigate.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

customer service is great
personally i am not a fan of the pump. i don't like it at all. it's big, heavy and scratches really easily (sticks out so much it's easy to scrape against a wall i have found!)
lots of people love it though.....

i just prefer smaller pumps i guess.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
The 300 unit 640 g is slightly bigger.

Brihaze

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being pushed into technology
Hi jackiebee,

The Medtronic pumps are the very same size. It's only the reservoir that's a different size. They both fit into the same pump. You choose which size reservoir you require, based on your insulin requirements.

I use a Medtronic Paradigm 754 'Veo' and have found the customer service to be second to none.

Ordering fresh supplies is simple and straightforward, by either telephone or via email to their store.

I've recently had cause to telephone customer service and speak with someone that took a great deal of time to explain things AND make sure that everything was working as it should before he 'gave up on me', with no qualms about how long the call was taking. (I needed to move from one room to another to fetch supplies that I had, and that's not an easy thing for me to do due to mobility problems.)

It's been a few years now, but I needed to telephone Medtronic 'out of hours' due to a problem I was experiencing with my pump. No problem as they forwarded me a replacement pump within 2 days, and return packaging to return the pump that I was experiencing a 'problem' with so that they could investigate.

Brihaze

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being pushed into technology
I used a Medtronic Paradigm Veo which have a 300 unit reservior which you can fill to whatever you like from the insulin cartridge I found 300 lasted me about 8 days I was pumping for 18 years successfully but now on pen due to canula sight failures they were only lasting about 36 hours

naomi clem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi im due to change my insulin pump soon but may possibly need one that holds a larger amount of insulin currently using the animas vibe which im changing daily any advice or information on this would be appreciated many thanks jackie
medtronic pumpholds 300 units and i use u500 in it

jackiebee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thank you all for your replies i have been told it would be the medtronic 640 g insulin pump that holds 300 units. My dsn is arranging to meet up with the rep and have a look at one before i make any decisions. Do all insulin pumps hold the same type of insulin? Do the batteries get supplied with this pump? Can you see the screen in the sun? What are the infusion sets like? How or can you download the data to your diabetes team? With it being slightly bigger how do you wear it without people noticing it? Anyone using one can help with these questions would be great to hear about your experiences with it please.
Many thanks Jackie

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
thank you all for your replies i have been told it would be the medtronic 640 g insulin pump that holds 300 units. My dsn is arranging to meet up with the rep and have a look at one before i make any decisions. Do all insulin pumps hold the same type of insulin? Do the batteries get supplied with this pump? Can you see the screen in the sun? What are the infusion sets like? How or can you download the data to your diabetes team? With it being slightly bigger how do you wear it without people noticing it? Anyone using one can help with these questions would be great to hear about your experiences with it please.
Many thanks Jackie
With the exception of the insight, you have to load the reservoir yourself, so you can use whatever insulin you want. Some use Porcine.

Most pumps take AA or AAA batteries. They are supplied, but the pump manufacturers charge the NHS an extortionate price for something that costs half that at Sainsbury's.

There is a range of infusion sets made by the same people who make those for Animas. There are different lengths and different angles, plus steel and teflon. You can get a selection to try out and find out which work for you best.

Can't answer on the screen though as I don't have one.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I can see 640g in the sun and there is contrast adjustment.