Surely this can't be right????

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I attend a diabetes support group and was told by one of the T1s "it's better for us. We just eat what we like and inject". I'm type 2. But that doesn't seem sensible. I read Bernstein's advice on reducing carbs and it makes perfect sense to me. You reduce the need for medication AND the risks of getting it wrong.

I, personally, would never use the word 'better' in regards to having type 1:( :eek:

Reactions: 2 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I, personally, would never use the word 'better' in regards to having type 1:( :eek:
No. A strange way to put it, I thought. At a recent breakfast for the group I attended, they were all eating lots of carbs; and I'm sitting there with just bacon and eggs.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I can't control sugary drinks by carb counting but stuff like chocolate bars I have no problem with, even though the carb content is high. I only attempt this in the evening when I'm more sensitive to insulin. I can eat Kit-Kats , milky ways , kinder country bars, smarties etc etc without spiking. Unfortunately I don't have a CGM to demonstrate this. I suffered 3 years of strict low carbing <30 grammes per day only to discover this tolerance by accident :-(

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on hba1c of 40. Breakie or Brunch of a weekend is variations of English breakfast without beans. Love low carb.
I had blood tests done for the MENO@@@@E (*** I'm way too young! But sadly yes)
The doc went down my results - he told me I was 'disgustingly healthy' and 'NOT DIABETIC'. I had to correct him.
I have dawn phenomenon in the bleedin extreme so I reckon if I didn't I'd have a hba1c even lower as I've cut out most of the 'normal and healthy' carbs. I need to take up drinking alcohol again.
Well done on reducing your hba1c @ohitsnicola what are your 2hour bs like after eating what you want?

Reactions: 6 people

doubleouch!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No its 62! And coming down rapidly.....my hba1c is nothing to do with what I eat....despite what others may think!
Oh! What a nice BS day you have there on show! I would put that in a frame...
Even if I try and do my BS and insulin 20 minutes before by the time I got the family at the table, its low and I chase it with some juice and then of course that is not what I told the pump I would eat and so on. Or ops it wasnt my guessimate value of 30g it was 20g or 40g guesses which make me fluctuate but to get a value such as yours I need to be ill and not move in bed.

D

Deleted member 83869

Of course it is - it's driven by what you eat and how much insulin you give, and all the other little things that affect our BS
No its not! Mines down to my depression, if I'm depressed then I won't look after myself simple as....absolutely nothing to do with what I eat

D

Deleted member 83869

I'm on hba1c of 40. Breakie or Brunch of a weekend is variations of English breakfast without beans. Love low carb.
I had blood tests done for the MENO@@@@E (*** I'm way too young! But sadly yes)
The doc went down my results - he told me I was 'disgustingly healthy' and 'NOT DIABETIC'. I had to correct him.
I have dawn phenomenon in the bleedin extreme so I reckon if I didn't I'd have a hba1c even lower as I've cut out most of the 'normal and healthy' carbs. I need to take up drinking alcohol again.
Well done on reducing your hba1c @ohitsnicola what are your 2hour bs like after eating what you want?
No higher than a 7 especially if I have a great big Chinese haha! I don't drink sugary drinks anyway but if I fancy a can of Fanta then usually a 5 or 6!

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nice one. If I try and eat stuff like a Chinese I just roller coaster. I miss special fried rice!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
No higher than a 7 especially if I have a great big Chinese haha! I don't drink sugary drinks anyway but if I fancy a can of Fanta then usually a 5 or 6!

I don't want to pry so don't answer if you don't want to; but how can that be the case? You have said that you have an Hba1c of 62 a the moment which means an average blood sugar of 9.9 mmol/ml

I appreciate that you have said it's dropping but that would mean worrying hypos?

Perhaps I've misunderstood?

D

Deleted member 83869

I don't want to pry so don't answer if you don't want to; but how can that be the case? You have said that you have an Hba1c of 62 a the moment which means an average blood sugar of 9.9 mmol/ml

I appreciate that you have said it's dropping but that would mean worrying hypos?

Perhaps I've misunderstood?
I'm pregnant my last hba1c was 68 in December, I had another hba1c in January when I shouldn't have really and that was 62 my consultant said in reality I should be in the mid 50's! Yes I am having quite a few hypos but they're stopping now!

Why am I being made to feel as if I'm lying????

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
suppose as long as ppl are happ
Someone my friend knows was telling him about her type 1 diabetes and she said she's learnt to carb count and she's been told she can eat and drink anything she wants as long as she takes the right amount of insulin. So she will just drink full fat fizzy pop like Pepsi and Coca Cola 24/7. Surely that's harmful and she's been told wrong info?[/QUOT

same info I got but after doing my own investigating knew I'd kinda ignore my diabetic nurse on that!! she said I could have a full pack of sweets and would be able to cover it with fast acting insulin,ya ok then!!!! not currently taking insulin since oct of last year after been diagnosed type 1 after been taken in to hospital with dka.So even though not on insulin I've learn't alot to how my body reacts to certain meals,sweets an so on but if your friend is happy with how her diabetes is going then what can ya do :) NHS do need to change the way the give advice out imo.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm pregnant my last hba1c was 68 in December, I had another hba1c in January when I shouldn't have really and that was 62 my consultant said in reality I should be in the mid 50's! Yes I am having quite a few hypos but they're stopping now!

Why am I being made to feel as if I'm lying????

Hi Nicola,

Congratulations on your baby..!
It's understood (to which I empathise.) that depression can affect motivation, which in turn causes issue with D managment..
I'm reading nothing more than a bit of D banter in this thread.

Though I will own up & say regarding personal experience Orange juce. Chinese & Fanta would peak & trough me out should I give it a go...!
This is not a judgment on anyone else who likes to experiment... ;)