Alcohol

cojo

Ihave just been diagnosed with type 2...I like a drink with my mates is this a no no.If so what can you buy in a pub thats ok :(

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You have to consider the amount of sugar in your drink.If you're going to be drinking a lot of pints then it will affect your BS .If you only have a few then test to see what effect it's having.If you are overweight then the extra calories won't do you any good at all!! :D Most drinks in pubs have sugar content.Anyone got suggestions?

KimSuzanne

I'm type 1 but I went out last night drank vodka and diet coke most of the night, I take my blood meter and check my sugar levels after a couple. If it goes too much then I tend to stick to water (not as much fun I know), last night was fine chips and cheese with burger sauce on the way home YUM! sugars were 5.4 when I woke up. Unfortunately like most things its very individual how alcohol affects your BS levels.
Kim

sparkle73

Have a brandy! :mrgreen: apparently according to my parents, my father who's type 2 has a glass of brandy quite often. My mother also type 2 said she was concerned because of the sugar content (my dad isn't a p*****head btw) just likes his brandy alot :) and they have had many arguments about the amount of sugar in brandy, also apparently my dad now isn't diabetic anymore (if that's possible) he was on diabetic tablets, eating and drinking all the wrong things..as well as brandy but his readings were always normal. Anyway, despite that my mu was still concerned and at one of her diabetes awareness classes, she asked the speaker if she could please tell her the amount of sugar that was in brandy so that my mum could go home and tell my dad so he would finally believe it. Anyway my mum got a shock and had to go home and hold her hand up to my dad, because the speaker said that the sugar turns to alchohol !! the fact he maybe rekking his liver maybe a different story altogether!

sorry to digress. I bet you are going to say you don't even like brandy! lol

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Cojo,

If you are a beer drinker then just about the only one that won't send your blood sugar soaring is Pils lager, because it is fermented longer so that almost all the sugar is converted to alcohol. Unfortunately that also means you can't have very many of them!

If you are not a beer drinker then any wine or any spirits, but with a diet mixer.

sugar

Claire,

I know...aspartame is not your favourite thing....but I thiink the advice is based on the fact there is no point sticking to a low sugar alcohol...only to add 20 grams of carbohydrate to it with a slud of lemonade. I guess the most diabetes friendly, aspartame free option is a dry white wine spritser..made with sparkling mineral water. MAY NOT BE EVERYONES IDEA OF A GOOD NIGHT OUT THOUGH :twisted:

I am such a lightweight..it works for me :mrgreen:

sparkle73

:mrgreen: at sugar.

I was just curious that's all. I don't drink alcohol myself although my liver seems to think so! yep, you got it, that old aspartame story again :lol: athough it isn't no laughing matter. But each to there own, all you can do is try and help and advise people by your own experiences and they can either take it or leave it. I've done my part now re that subject and there is still plenty of people on here reading about it, not saying they agree with it but at least i got what i set out to do and that was making people aware. :)

Claire

geezer

I`m type 2 (1.5), and before i went on to insulin, i used to drink quite a lot of Red Wine, litterally. And the result was that it actually reduced ml B/S levels quite considerably. But be careful, wouldn`t recommend it for everyone., but it worked for me for a while. Don`t do it now though, Insulin now taken control of business for me.

Always look on the bright side of life, no matter how hard it gets! I do!

brandiklein

okay well, i'm a type 1 and i ahve never realy gotten drunk before and well when we party everyone drinks and i am always afraid that if i drink to much i might get drunk and miss a insulin, pass out, or somthing happen to me, know i don't know if i am a tank or a n easy drunk, but i'm to afraid becuase no family know soo what should i do? Only have a few and keep testing but then what if i am SUPER high? and no alcohol have lebals for carbs soo should i not drink , or ??? HELp!!

jjackson999

i dont drink anymore,its tooooo much hassle.i find it takes ages for my sugars to lower after alcohol.part of me is scared to top up insulin in case i dont wake up in the morning too.i dont miss it but do partake of a glass or two on holidays,but the whole diabetic routine is upset then anyway. :x

Marz Barr

when i was diagnosed I was told not to have more than 3 drinks at one time but i do,nt know if things have changed since then this was 13 years ago
Wendie

katymac

Im very new here been diabetic for 9 yrs but no effects im a nurse who as lost friends much older than me and ive made a decision to enjoy life while i can watching peeps die wen they have worked all there life to retire but anyone seen none smoking non drinking 42 yr olds die get in touch and alcohol not affecting me or smoking but depression is i know most of u will say i deserve it but i see peeps dying every day and young but wen my friends died i decided dont wont to get to 65 and die dont want insults just help to make me feel better alll though im sure u wont all agree my doctor only said recently are u depressed coz of your diabetes im a nurse and didnt realise the link

katymac

and find it sad that most people tell the truth there must be more than 4 people who drink alcohol unless u all good and im bad which makes me more depressed im not bad do my job well i dont think so x

brandiklein

well, just stay positive, surround your self by nice and positive people, have fun once and a while, relax, find stuff to do that take your mind off of things and spend time alone or witha few good friends have ing funa nd enjoying yourself not worrrying about anything else, leave work at work and home at home, HOPE THIS HELPS!

AmberAnn

Funny when I had my first visit to the 'diabetic' nurse and we discussed alcohol..I told her my favourite tipple is Vodka and J20...she said the vodka is fine just drop the J20..so have switched to adding soda and a splash of lime to my vodka...not quite the same..but passable..Also when out and have a drink I usually have a white wine and soda spritzer...