Really high blood sugar levels.

Hi, Im writing here because im becoming increasingly concered about my boyfriends dangerously high blood sugar levels.
He is only 16 years old and he is waking up in the morning with blood sugar as high as 25, its like his night time insulin isnt working at all.
He also has really high blood sugar in general, he uses correction doses ect.
The big problem is that he doesnt really seem to understand how dangerous this is, he used to have a diabetic nurse whos appointments he stopped attending because he thinks hes fine by himself, which he is evidently not.
Im just wondering if anyone can offer any advice to me to try and help my boyfriend realise hes probably already damaged his body? He is so young and only got diagnosed around 6 months ago & his blood sugar is just not stabilizing at all.
Thankyou.

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He really needs to link with diabetes nurse. He needs to check his ketones at those high levels and they are dangerous if they are high

He really needs to link with diabetes nurse. He needs to check his ketones at those high levels and they are dangerous if they are high
i just cant seem to get him to understand what he is doing to his body. he missed an appointment with her once and they havnt got in touch since and he has a lot of anxiety and thinks hell be in trouble so trying to get him to get in touch is very hard.

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wont lie ive been where your boyfriend is now, Ive had the high sugars and no contact with the nurse but he NEEDS to get it all checked out, I understand where hes coming from about the nurse thing but at the end of the day they are there to help him so sit him down and be stern with him tell him he MUST get it sorted, Hell understand that youre doing it because you care about him not because youre a naggy girlfriend

Reactions: 3 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're right to be concerned...those high numbers are not good and will undoubtedly be making him feel quite rough. I suspect that being fairly newly diagnosed that he is still in shock...it can take a while to get your head around these things. It could also be that his honeymoon period has come to an end so his insulin needs have increased, this is something he will need to discuss with his care team. Perhaps you and his parents could try talking to him together...

fern000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He's probably feeling overwhelmed with his new diagnosis and trying not to face his condition as much as possible. I've been there too! Maybe you could try sitting down with him and his family to have a serious talk about his health. Be sure not to be accusatory, but let him feel that you are all truly concerned and worried for him. It should help him see that he needs to snap out of it. And let him know that if he needs help, all of you will be there for him because he's not in it alone. It would probably be good to get his parents involved because from what you said, it's unclear whether they know about his glucose control. His parents would be a good point of contact between him and the nurse. Also be sure to not give him too much pressure into bringing all his readings into an acceptable range at this point in time. Take things one step at a time :) It's great that you care so much for him, I wish I had that kind of support when I was first diagnosed. All the best!! ❤️❤️