Depression, Stress and Family

Chunk1724

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi without going into it and boring the ass of you all, I've been a type 2 insulin dependent diabetic for going on 15 years now and have been bipolar/depressive since the age of 9, also as a father if 4 kids with special needs,my life has thrown difficulties every day from a young age to now. Today my father was admitted to hospital with heart problems (again) and with all this added stress my diabetes is taking a toll.
My insulin intake is all over the place and my eating habits have changed and my alcohol consumption has risen, can I ask in all honesty do talking to strangers help? ( I mean this forum) and has anyone gave any life changing advice from these people? Or do you think there is no answers?
I'm just curious and I'm not insulting anyone. No offence intended

C

catherinecherub

I think that a lot of people here can empathise @Chunk1724 and also give you advice.
Whether you choose to take it is another matter.
It sounds as though you are an emotional eater, many people are and it is getting over that hurdle and understanding that the overeating will not make the problems go away but will create more problems. The same can be said for alcohol. The change has to come from you. You have to find another way and face your problems.
Do you get any help with your children or are you having to deal with problems 24/7? Is there any way you could avail yourself of some respite?
What would you say to a friend who is behaving in this way?

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Chunk1724 and welcome to the forum. I have cyclothymia, which is a milder form of bipolar. I have had periods of depression for over 30 years. I think it contributed to my diabetes in that I was going through an episode of depression last spring/summer, and was comfort eating and going to the pub most evenings and self medicating with beer, putting on almost a stone in a few months. Then I was diagnosed T2 in September.

I am quiet and introverted in real life, and often don't talk to anyone for weeks on end - I am retired so don't have the interaction with work colleagues I used to. I do think it helps it makes me feel less isolated to be able to talk to people on here, and I do feel I get to know them.

The advice about diabetes on here has been life changing for me. I was terrified when I first got the diagnosis, but finding this forum made me feel less alone in dealing with it. And the information about controlling the condition led me to adopting the Low Carbohydrate High Fat approach to eating. I have lowered my Blood Sugar levels and weight a lot in the last six months as a result, and I feel a lot better. I am staying on anti-depressants (Fluoxetine) as I don't want to go through depression again.

I hope you find that this forum helps you too. I think it probably will.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Chunk1724

There definitely are answers. Mate I don't know how low you are at the moment but if it is right down there you need to reach out to your GP/Counselors/ER straight away.

You have identified three specific things you can change right now to get things on track
  1. Get your insulin under control
  2. Change your diet back to a good one
  3. Reduce or stop your alcohol consumption
I am not an insulin user and because of the link to diet I can give no advice on what has worked for me but others here probably can if you provide details. In terms of the alcohol consumption given it is a depressive I suggest you stop.

Look after yourself things can turn round quickly with a few small actions

zebs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had a lot of counselling and I can honestly say that it has helped me loads, but it definitely wont be easy. The counsellor will let u go at your pace. I took risks to address things i wanted to avoid. There are even times when i felt worse and wanted to give up. It was like some sort of mental obstacle course. But now everything feels so much more under my control. I now don't get so overwhelmed by emotions and....at least when I do, it is not a mystery as to why. It all makes so much more sense. Also I don t need to drink to feel ok.
A counsellor has the expertise to help u to make sense of what u are feeling. Also results are not instant. Give it 4-6 sessions before you give up on it. Hope u give it a try