Hi, Iv just had a diagnosis of type 2

Lianne71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Feeling so overwhelmed and in shock really! Been put on Metformin and been given an appointment with diabetic nurse next Wednesday. No idea where to start on changing my diet,feeling quite lost.

Reactions: 2 people

Misteraa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya, don't worry too much. There's a wealth of info on this site and forum that you can read through, feel free to ask any questions here.

What to do right now, don't worry, cut out any obvious sugary things and read a lot.

Reactions: 6 people

Lianne71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you. Haven't told any family or friends yet as want to get my head around it first. To be honest it's a big wake up call.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi and welcome to the forum, I've tagged @daisy1 to give you the newcomers welcome information. Yes, it is confusing and no doubt that you feel awful and distressed. Have a read of the information and have a read around the low carb forum.
Any questions please ask, there are some really knowledgeable people on this forum.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Lianne, welcome to the forum.Firstly you have come to the right place, stick with us those who have been on this journey previously.This is a fantastic resource of knowledge, personal experience and support.I spent my first few weeks after diagnosis reading a lot, but mainly on this forum.I am now in diabetic remission ie my blood glucose levels are back to normal. How ..... LCHF. Check it out here.
Make sure to get a print out of all your blood results,,especially your HbA1c you must know where you are starting from,get a meter and test after meals to see which foods affect you.Push for this with your Diabetic Nurse.Be prepared to stand your ground on this.
It is a lot to take on board, but you will get there,above all stick around with us.
You will soon be an expert,knowledge is power!!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Lianne71

Hello Lianne and welcome to the forum :) To help you to get started, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Lianne, We were all in shock / confussion / any emotion we have all been there, so don't think you are alone. Like people have mentioned above, stick with this site, you might not think so now but believe me it will be the best thing you ever did. every:)one is so friendly and someone will always answer any questions you may have.:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the very large world of diabetics. Do get hold of a glucose meter which sadly the NHS won't provide, unless you are very lucky, and may tell you that you don't need. Follow Daisy's advice and reduce all carbs but ensure you have enough proteins, fats, veg and non-tropical fruit to keep you feeling full. Exercise is always good.

JoeWalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My wee daughter penned this about me and my two brothers we all are t2, this makes me lol
New song by jacko and the diabetics ...........
Jacko mano and Joe went into town
To get some chips and sweeties
Jacko can't keep his heart rate down
And they all have diabetes , shes 12 years old..... makes me laugh everytime....

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sharon Anne

Feeling so overwhelmed and in shock really! Been put on Metformin and been given an appointment with diabetic nurse next Wednesday. No idea where to start on changing my diet,feeling quite lost.
Hi Lianne71 This is exactly how I felt after being diagnosed type2 in may 2014 I felt so alone .

Confused and out of my depth I found the forum and after many people said " Sharon Anne take a breath and go slow "
slowly things started to fall into place .
The starting place for me was to look over the advice daisy sent through it is a good solid starting point .
Then ask the questions even the ones you feel daft about and you will have as you . can see already so much guidance on here .

I also suffer from Anxiety so I literally was all over the place but well at my starting point my HbA1c was 74 now it's 32 .
This site is amazing and the advice I received and still do was with more money than gold .
My Drs just confused the heck out of me .
Right now I would just try and relax and use the information from daisy as a starting point then one step at a time .
Sharon Anne .

Reactions: 7 people

fionamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lianne and welcome, like said above get a code free meter and strips test regularly and keep a diary. You will find promo codes in my signature below for discount. x

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Lianne71 I was just diagnosed as type 2 on Thursday and I am still trying to get my head round it. I have read loads on here and sent off for the code free meter, I am good with the practical stuff but the emotional stuff takes a little while to figure out. Hope you get on OK.

Reactions: 5 people